Apple gets early approval for $500 million iPhone throttling settlement

TempestCatto

Apple is one step closer to compensating customers for its initial approach to iPhone processor throttling. Federal District Judge Edward Davila has given preliminary approval (via MacRumors) for a maximum $500 milllion settlement addressing complaints that it slowed down certain iPhones without informing customers, calling the deal “fair, reasonable and adequate.” However, it may be some time before you’re receiving a check in the mail. Davila wanted to push back a final approval hearing until December due to the COVID-19 pandemic, making it unlikely that you’ll get any money until 2021.

I hope to one day receive my $25!

According to Apple, the throttling was meant to extend the lifespans of phones by reducing the chances of sudden shutdowns as phones’ batteries degraded over time. The company didn’t initially explain the practice, however, leading some to believe it was trying to pressure customers into buying new phones (which reportedly happened in some cases). The lawsuit covers people who used the iPhone 6s, iPhone 7 and original iPhone SE before December 21st, 2017.

I have my mom's old 6s - bet I can snag some burger money out of this.

The arrangement would pay each iPhone user $25, and that number is only likely to climb (up to $500 per person) if the total payouts, attorney fees and expenses don’t reach at least $310 million. Most likely, this will only help you cover the cost of a battery replacement if you’re still using a device included in the settlement.

Yep. Like I said, burger money. Go to your fav fast food place and buy the highest ticket item on the menu. The amount of lawyer fees and other expenses are insane though!

Got my 30 bucks from AMD's settlement after they sold a four core cpu advertising it as an eight core one. I got a lot of food that day...

Rubbing Alcohol: https://www.engadget.com/apple-iphone-throttling-settlement-preliminary-approval-214239514.html

This tech news post is brought to you by Square Space! Ever wanted a place to show off your amazing work, but didn't know where to start? Have a business selling jewelry, painting, or fixing computers? Well you need a website in this day and age, and Square Space is here to make it easy. With templates to help get you started, it's just click click bing! Go to https://www.squarespace.com/linus for a free 14 day trial and for 10% off your first purchase!

I mean, I want to feel bad for Apple, but its only $500 million. If I get my $25 I'll only be out $5 for that time I used the battery replacement program on my old 6s Plus. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Actually the method was good to make phones usable when battery is shot, communication for it was garbage tho. If they gave users a decision none of this would even be happening.

Haha lol, Tech News posts are sponsored now.

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.