No compromise gaming PC (~4600$ budget) - should I wait a few more months?

lionetm

Budget (including currency): ~4600 USD excluding display and peripherals (this buys you a little less in Hungary than in the States I think but I'm willing to go a little bit higher if required)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: mostly 1440p/144Hz gaming (from 20 year old games to current AAA Titles, expecting to hit this FPS on new games at Ultra details), sometimes a little home studio music work with DAWs and heavy VST plug-in usage

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

I'm looking to build a new, no compromise gaming PC. A few years ago PC gaming was very important to me but I didn't follow what happened in the last few years hardware-wise so I'm not really sure what to get. I'm looking to future proof as much as I can, did that with my last build too and it served me well for 5-6 years.

I'm thinking of the following with the knowledge I currently possess:

- AMD Ryzen 9 3950X + 360mm AIO watercooling (still thinking about going Intel because I used to have Intel-based PCs only but certainly AMD has set the bar very high now, not sure if any Intel stuff makes sense)

- High-end X570 motherboard (or high-end Intel board)

- 32GB RAM that is fast enough no to be a bottleneck

- GTX 2080 Ti (totally undecided on brand/exact model yet)

- 1 TB SSD and 4 TB HDD (not confident about today's SSDs, my last build was done before M.2 first arrived so I'm not sure what is the fastest now)

- 750-1000w PSU, preferably 80+ Gold or Platinum rated

- A dustproof case with great airflow that is eye candy too

- Will also need a display (or two), preferably something that is 1440p/144Hz and IPS and a great keyboard and mouse. They're not accounted for in the ~4600 USD budget, I'm okay to spend as much as I need to get good displays and peripherals. 

The above build is absolutely open to suggestions, I'm not decided on anything yet, just trying to pretty much get the best of everything for what I'm planning to use it for.

Now the real question to me is (after reading up on currently available CPUs and GPUs): should I wait for the next generation to drop and delay getting my new PC or should I go with what is available now? If I'm correct, some time at end of Q3/beginning of Q4 this year new offerings from Intel, AMD and Nvidia will drop. I know they will be a little pricier than what is currently available but if I have to I can squeeze out a couple more hundreds of bucks to really get the latest technology.

So, what would you do, and what build would you go for?

Cheers!

wait until new AMD cpu's and rtx3000 series are released if you already have something that is running now. 

and get gen4 m.2 disks.. they are faster than gen3. the new amd boards utilize it, but the latest intelchipset still don't have it. 

Don't spend 4.6K now, wait until Nvidia RTX 3000, AMD 4000 and RDNA 2. They will be released in October.

"Tolerance is the lube that helps the dildo of dysfunction slip into the ass of a civilized society" - Plato 427-347 BC

"Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society" - Aristotle 384-322 BC

"Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment" - Lebiniz 1st of July 1646 - 14th of November 1716

16 minutes ago, Robchil said:

wait until new AMD cpu's and rtx3000 series are released if you already have something that is running now. 

and get gen4 m.2 disks.. they are faster than gen3. the new amd boards utilize it, but the latest intelchipset still don't have it. 

If he's just gaming/doing basic tasks, he won't see the difference between Gen4 and Gen3 M.2, and the cost difference is giant. He should probably just get Gen3 and invest that money in other parts.

But I second waiting until Ryzen 4k and Nvidia 3k

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

Cheers guys! The consensus seems to be waiting for the new generations, I'm also happy to do that. Will the (presumably) 3080 Ti also come out in October or will that require some more wait?