3900x always ramping up making stock fan loud

using the stock cooler for the 3900x temporarily till decide to either use an air cooler or get an AIO for it, is there anyway for me to get the cpu to run at its base frequency instead of boosting up over 4GHz? the boost is nice when gaming but when im just watching youtube its a bit annoying, tried using gigabytes software to lower the speed to heat ratio and it still ramps up often, thanks in advance!

You can limit the cpu to 65W TDP either via Ryzen Master or in BIOS.

Or you can adjust the fan curve and leave it as it is.

If you adjust the fan curve, I recommend leaving the fan at higher RPM more often, yes it will be louder most of the time but you will remove that ramping up noise completely which is the most annoying thing ever.

7 minutes ago, WereCat said:

You can limit the cpu to 65W TDP either via Ryzen Master or in BIOS.

Or you can adjust the fan curve and leave it as it is.

If you adjust the fan curve, I recommend leaving the fan at higher RPM more often, yes it will be louder most of the time but you will remove that ramping up noise completely which is the most annoying thing ever.

where abouts can i find that option in ryzen master? am new to amd cpus

11 minutes ago, Zohan2000 said:

using the stock cooler for the 3900x temporarily till decide to either use an air cooler or get an AIO for it, is there anyway for me to get the cpu to run at its base frequency instead of boosting up over 4GHz? the boost is nice when gaming but when im just watching youtube its a bit annoying, tried using gigabytes software to lower the speed to heat ratio and it still ramps up often, thanks in advance!

First of - uninstall Gigabyte's "tuning" software. It's broken and may even be the cause of the issue.

Secondly, update the BIOS and chipset drivers.

You should probably buy a tower or water cooler, this is the second highest end AMD gaming cpu this gen. Or you should tune your fan curves in the bios, turn the cpu fan to PWM instead of DC, if it supports PWM.

You can set the fan speed in BIOS stay at idle speed until the CPU reaches 50C. The CPU can jump up and down all it wants. But the fans won't spin up until the CPU passes 50C.

6 minutes ago, Zohan2000 said:

where abouts can i find that option in ryzen master? am new to amd cpus

So I had issues finding it because I never used it but here its how to enable it.

You absolutely have to enable PBO in the BIOS so that the option for ECO mode even shows in the Ryzen Master.

Then the option to enable ECO mode should be displayed right on top next to the Control Mode (if not at home screen then select Profile 1 or 2 and enable it there).

spacer.png

5 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

First of - uninstall Gigabyte's "tuning" software. It's broken and may even be the cause of the issue.

Secondly, update the BIOS and chipset drivers.

Bios is updated, chipset is updated and got it on amd Ryzen balanced power plan thinking that would help but it didn't, the gigabyte software is their fan tuning software 

1 hour ago, Zyleyus said:

You should probably buy a tower or water cooler, this is the second highest end AMD gaming cpu this gen. Or you should tune your fan curves in the bios, turn the cpu fan to PWM instead of DC, if it supports PWM.

am thinking getting an AIO as ive got the right fans for it but was hoping not to spend too much till i upgrade the gpu and save up some more and go full watercooling

1 hour ago, WereCat said:

So I had issues finding it because I never used it but here its how to enable it.

You absolutely have to enable PBO in the BIOS so that the option for ECO mode even shows in the Ryzen Master.

Then the option to enable ECO mode should be displayed right on top next to the Control Mode (if not at home screen then select Profile 1 or 2 and enable it there).

spacer.png

still seems to be going over its base clock sadly making the fan jump around

1 hour ago, Deli said:

You can set the fan speed in BIOS stay at idle speed until the CPU reaches 50C. The CPU can jump up and down all it wants. But the fans won't spin up until the CPU passes 50C.

always seems to stay over 50c sadly, just doesnt want to stay at its base clock

what are the chances theres a faulty sensor in the cpu or motherboard? cause with hwmonitor and other temp monitoring programs and its only showing 1 temp rather a temp for each core and i think it might be getting confused or theres 2 sensors conflicting

40 minutes ago, Zohan2000 said:

what are the chances theres a faulty sensor in the cpu or motherboard? cause with hwmonitor and other temp monitoring programs and its only showing 1 temp rather a temp for each core and i think it might be getting confused or theres 2 sensors conflicting

On HWinfo, Tdie is the correct temperature and the one affecting fan speed.

1 hour ago, Zohan2000 said:

always seems to stay over 50c sadly, just doesnt want to stay at its base clock

I have seen a few people report the idle temp of Zen 2 jumps up and down. I wonder if there are things, like Antivirus, running in the background. I have 3900X and Gigabyte mobo like you, since last September. I can see from RyzenMaster there are always one or two cores boost to 4GHz plus. But the idle temp is always very stable at around 32-33C, no jumping around. Although I use a 280mm rad for cooling. Could it be the stock cooler that doesn't handle small heat spike well.

Just now, Deli said:

I have seen a few people report the idle temp of Zen 2 jumps up and down. I wonder if there are things, like Antivirus, running in the background. I have 3900X and Gigabyte mobo like you, since last September. I can see from RyzenMaster there are always one or two cores boost to 4GHz plus. But the idle temp is always very stable at around 32-33C, no jumping around. Although I use a 280mm rad for cooling. Could it be the stock cooler that doesn't handle small heat spike well.

might have to get a aio for the cpu then or see if i can get an am4 bracket for the old corsair h100i in my old case and use it till i get around to getting a new gpu and watercooling everything

think ive worked out whats causing the cpu to ramp up its speed when idling/watching youtube, i think the power plan from amd might be bugged or a setting it in the power plan is doing it, ive put the pc on windows power saver and the cpu has down clocked to 2.2ghz (can sleep without the noise while it downloads games) may have to see if i can reinstall the power plans from amd  and hope that might fix the problem, just dont see any reason why it should  be ramping up over 4ghz while im sitting watching youtube, if anyone else here has tips or advice on this youre more then welcome to let me know, still getting used to this hardware change from the ol 4670k on z87

any ideas here? ive reinstalled the chipset drivers and power plans from amd and its still happening, wonder if intel has this same thing happening