DT990 PRO uncomfortable, need pads / headphones suggestions.

2 hours ago, The Flying Sloth said:

Thanks for linking me that thread, Google search kinda sucks huh smh.

You are not late but I talked with another guy that used the dt990s with almost every brainwavz and told me he'd go microsuede ( if i want bit more bass but keeping that soundrange) XL , giving me more "airy" sound, which idk what would mean but I read it's kind of better with the soundrange; or the Hybrids, PU Leather with holes in the inside and velour on top, which might be the pads that im ordering even tho I might get both to try and return whichever i don't like.

Not sure how the Hybrids would affect the soundrange and ingame imaging but they'll be comfy atleast with some more bass.

4 minutes ago, Fullbok said:

You are not late but I talked with another guy that used the dt990s with almost every brainwavz and told me he'd go microsuede ( if i want bit more bass but keeping that soundrange) XL , giving me more "airy" sound, which idk what would mean but I read it's kind of better with the soundrange; or the Hybrids, PU Leather with holes in the inside and velour on top, which might be the pads that im ordering even tho I might get both to try and return whichever i don't like.

Not sure how the Hybrids would affect the soundrange and ingame imaging but they'll be comfy atleast with some more bass.

airy generally means a bit more treble focus less bass more treble basically

On 5/16/2020 at 8:54 PM, Fullbok said:

I am having the exact same issue as you right now. I haven't been able to find anything. Let me know if those pads work out for you. I dont have particularly large ears. they just stick out and like to touch the driver. I love these headphones to death and have had them a little over a month. They are comfortable and dont hurt until about 3hrs in and then they hurt for the rest of the day even if i take a long break.

I really like the stock velour pads but I just wish there was more room between my ear and the driver so it isnt crushed at the tip. I 3d modeled some spacers but I dont own a 3d printer and no online company will print them out because they're too wierd.

Also could you post the link to the pads you are talking about?

Build:                                                                          

Intel Core I7 6700k (clocked to 4.6ghz)

Patriot Viper 3000mhz ddr4

ASUS maximus 8 hero (I hate this mobo)

Evga gtx 1080 superclocked

250GB Samsung 850 evo

2tb WD Black 7200rpm

Ek watercooling kit a240g with 360 expansion pack

Primochill Vue Red fluid

Corsair Graphite 600t (white)

You thought "Gee, Donald Trump sure has a great build!"

On 5/19/2020 at 10:24 AM, DarthSmartt said:

I am having the exact same issue as you right now. I haven't been able to find anything. Let me know if those pads work out for you. I dont have particularly large ears. they just stick out and like to touch the driver. I love these headphones to death and have had them a little over a month. They are comfortable and dont hurt until about 3hrs in and then they hurt for the rest of the day even if i take a long break.

I really like the stock velour pads but I just wish there was more room between my ear and the driver so it isnt crushed at the tip. I 3d modeled some spacers but I dont own a 3d printer and no online company will print them out because they're too wierd.

Also could you post the link to the pads you are talking about?

Hey sorry, haven't checked the forums in a while and actually got my 2 pads yesterday, had a chance to try them both for a while, but I'm still testing.
I bought the XL MicroSuede (link- 110mm) and the normal sized Hybrids (link- 100mm) from Brainwavz and they didnt change the sound "THAT" bad, they do seal your ear so that would narrow the soundstage a bit but not that much dw.
As of sound, both raise the bass a bit and actually bring down the highs a bit to tame that treble ( you can always EQ )

As of comfort, XL microsuede are 10/10 imo, they are big and puffy so watchout for that clamp but you ear swims in there since they're 110mm and it has a bit of space to move from left to right where as the hybrids are a little smaller and have a "fixed" position with very little play for the ear.

As of fit, the small hybrids are hard to get on but they fit perfectly where as the XL stay a bit large but you can "lock" them putting the rubber slip under the headphone's pad rotation thingy ( I can send pics if you want ) and dont worry they wont fall out.

Which one would I get ? As of now I can't tell you, still trying them both but I'll for sure be using one of these 2 since I can't live with the stock pads sadly (memory foam baby!).
I played Valorant yesterday with the XL microsuede and it was good, did not notice any soundstage or imaging ( mind with me I'm not an expert with these terms ) difference and was able to pinpoint enemies (still having troubles differentiating the front and the back, but thats just me getting used to Stereo sound, always used 7.1 surround yikes), I'll try to play with the hybrids today and will doing so for a week between  these 2 pads and will end up returning whichever I don't join.

Ask whatever you want! I'm here to help since you actually cant find many dt990s pads posts sadly, they all just say "changing the pads will destroy the sound, just change headphones" but these puppies are amazing for their price (i got them for 118€)

• 5 months later...
On 5/23/2020 at 12:20 PM, Fullbok said:

Hey sorry, haven't checked the forums in a while and actually got my 2 pads yesterday, had a chance to try them both for a while, but I'm still testing.
I bought the XL MicroSuede (link- 110mm) and the normal sized Hybrids (link- 100mm) from Brainwavz and they didnt change the sound "THAT" bad, they do seal your ear so that would narrow the soundstage a bit but not that much dw.
As of sound, both raise the bass a bit and actually bring down the highs a bit to tame that treble ( you can always EQ )

As of comfort, XL microsuede are 10/10 imo, they are big and puffy so watchout for that clamp but you ear swims in there since they're 110mm and it has a bit of space to move from left to right where as the hybrids are a little smaller and have a "fixed" position with very little play for the ear.

As of fit, the small hybrids are hard to get on but they fit perfectly where as the XL stay a bit large but you can "lock" them putting the rubber slip under the headphone's pad rotation thingy ( I can send pics if you want ) and dont worry they wont fall out.

Which one would I get ? As of now I can't tell you, still trying them both but I'll for sure be using one of these 2 since I can't live with the stock pads sadly (memory foam baby!).
I played Valorant yesterday with the XL microsuede and it was good, did not notice any soundstage or imaging ( mind with me I'm not an expert with these terms ) difference and was able to pinpoint enemies (still having troubles differentiating the front and the back, but thats just me getting used to Stereo sound, always used 7.1 surround yikes), I'll try to play with the hybrids today and will doing so for a week between  these 2 pads and will end up returning whichever I don't join.

Ask whatever you want! I'm here to help since you actually cant find many dt990s pads posts sadly, they all just say "changing the pads will destroy the sound, just change headphones" but these puppies are amazing for their price (i got them for 118€)

what happened which one did you return?, i have the same problem i wanted to return them, but i really like the treble, thanks in advance.

• 2 months later...
On 10/29/2020 at 9:40 PM, ricked20245 said:

what happened which one did you return?, i have the same problem i wanted to return them, but i really like the treble, thanks in advance.

Same here. Would love to hear what you ended up with.

• 7 months later...

Also having this issue, however mine was fine until the right ear pad has worn so much in the 2 months of owning and wearing daily that it pushes so hard against my ear that it takes the skin off my ear. (left ear touches a little bit but not to the point it hurts or is even noticeable)

Left ear pad is still like new condition, the Right ear pad is very squashed. Was going to buy new pads and hope they don't wear out in 2 months again. But after reading this I'm not sure what to do anymore.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/7/2021 at 8:43 AM, VandilFish said:

Also having this issue, however mine was fine until the right ear pad has worn so much in the 2 months of owning and wearing daily that it pushes so hard against my ear that it takes the skin off my ear. (left ear touches a little bit but not to the point it hurts or is even noticeable)

Left ear pad is still like new condition, the Right ear pad is very squashed. Was going to buy new pads and hope they don't wear out in 2 months again. But after reading this I'm not sure what to do anymore.

I ended up buying those, so far so good (about 5 months later)

On 5/16/2020 at 7:46 AM, rice guru said:

unfortunately I like the comfort as I have broken them in at this point. I really like the stock beyer pads so hard for me to chime in sorry

Same here, when the earpads on my DT 990 Pro felt uncomfortable due to wear, I'd ordered a replacement pair, from Beyerdynamic IIRC....all I know is, it was the stock DT 990 earpads.

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2