New Fan not fitting Motherboard

studdartt1090

Original PC Specs;

AMD Athlon(tm) X4 860K Quad Core Processor, 3700 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)

GeForce GTX 1060 3GB Graphics Card

BaseBoard Manufacturer    Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.BaseBoard Product    F2A68HM-HD2

Hi All,

I recently bought a AMD Ryzen 5 2400g 4 Core, 8 Thread Processor, 3.9 GHz Max Boost, 3.6ghz Base CPU as an upgrade to my previous(stated above)

however upon trying to install the CPU it appeared that the fan which came included doesn’t fit my motherboard.

the CPU prongs at the bottom also seem to have a different pattern to my motherboard.

could I simply buy a new fan or would I need to replace my motherboard? Would this also mean replacing my power supply?

I have no idea about computers and would really appreciate any help with this.

I of course still have the old fan, this isn’t as big as the new one but could I use this fan instead if it fits my motherboard?

if you need anymore information please just let me know and I’ll do my best to provide it.

thank you!

(Photo attached is of my motherboard with the old fan taken off and CPU still in situ)

12473643-E644-480A-B328-E794F9B1A6C6.jpeg

I think it isnt so i hope you broke no pins when you installed the 2400G

1 minute ago, _Omega_ said:

is the board AM4?

I’m not sure to be honest, I’ve attached a photo of the motherboard is there anywhere that would tell me?

DEFE9178-19AE-4BE6-AEC8-DBB656A18359.jpeg

I think it isnt so i hope you broke no pins when you installed the 2400G

The 2400g chip appears to be okay, I never fully installed it only sat it in the correct place for a short while. 

would I need a new motherboard then I take it?

its FM2+ so the cpu wont work i hope the pins are fine, you need an AM4 board for the CPU/Cooler

you need at least an A320 board with BIOS-support for the 2400G or better a B450 board. 

its FM2+ so the cpu wont work i hope the pins are fine, you need an AM4 board for the CPU/Cooler

They look okay, so if I buy an AM4 board will everything be okay without having to replace anything else, I had a quick look and found a Motheboard. Would this be suitable?

https://www.ebuyer.com/912089-msi-b450-gaming-plus-max-motherboard-at-ebuyer-b450-gaming-plus-max

thank you so much for your help with this

this would be fine but you can go cheaper if you want after all ryzen 4000 wont be supported on b450 so if you want to upgrade at any time to ryzen 4000 you will need a new mainboard anyway.

and i just thought about that you will need new ram because you need DDR 4

And what Display-connector are you using( if you want to use the APU for a second Monitor or so)