Unreal engine 5 on PS5 demo

The unreal engine 5 and PS5 looks promising. The video below talked a lot about the graphics and sound which are pretty good. There is gameplay footage but nothing much about how playing itself will be in the video below.

Please note that demos are always impressive. I mean they have 3-4 or even 5 years they worked on getting this demo highly optimized to run properly (30fps).  That is unacceptable in a game world, you do a whole game in 3-4 years. If you follow Unreal demo team model, by the time your game comes out, as a studio, there would be even better technology that will come out, which would have made all your work useless (as much less work would/could result in similar end results, or even better, with much less work).

Also, they focus on rocks faces based on actual high fidelity data. This is nice and all, but that is the 'easy part'. How is it with actual challenges like complex field of grass that interact with objects, wind, wind+object, characters, wind+characters, with alpha blending and light bouncing on each strands of grass and plants. Doing all this, on a fast field without visible pop-in and wide field of view is computational intense. 

Looking at the video, we can see that the character model is not that impressive, and doesn't fit into the world created due to the much reduced details. The water as she ways on, looks like crap to be honest. I mean it would be beautiful, but it doesn't fit in the hyper-realistic world. And to get both to the same level would be too taxing.

And another note, Unreal said that this engine and visuals is not unique to the PS5. This means that the coming up XBox and most likely current PC would have no problem running it either. Also, keep in mind that  the engine is not even officially released, that means that assuming the engine is released day of the console lunch, expect 3-4 years before a game is released using it (unless they have been releasing it to select studios in beta shape, for those interested).

All I am saying, is don't get too excited. We seen tech demos like this with every console generation (and GPUs on PC)... and the games are not coming close to what is being presented in these demos. In other words, don't buy a console because of tech demos. Exciting to see, but don't jump in, as you are going blindly. Get the console with the games that reflect your liking.

I remember seeing the demos for the older Unreal engine versions like 2 or 3. They looked earth shatteringly good for that time. But I never saw any games that looked that great. The reason is simple: game designers can’t spend too much time on one game.

In this demo, despite all the design work that went into it, an actual gamer would go through it in 5 minutes. But I bet the designs took them months to make. It’s unreasonable for the game developers to do that.

It was cool, but not really because we won’t see games that beautiful.