Gateron Greens RGB?

Ethan_TX

Hey guys;

I just replaced two of the switches in my aukey KM-G3 with Gateron Greens, because the Outemu blues that came installed were causing switch bounce, and I had some greens on hand.

When I went to replace the switches, I found that I needed to cut off the two plastic tabs on the bottom, as the Aukey has plate mount, and these tabs caused the switch to to bottom out.

Once I did that, I still could not get the switches to seat properly.

Inspecting with a magnifier, I found that the bottom of the Gateron green switch did not have the cutout for the SMT LED that is on the Aukey board. There is a diode symbol on the bottom of the switch.

I needed to cut the area with the diode symbol out to allow clearance for the LED, and to allow the LED to shine through to the keycaps.

I am a bit confused. Are the Gateron greens supposed to be RGB compatible or not, and why is there a diode symbol on the bottom of the switch where you apparently need to cut to allow clearance and allow the LED to shine through.

Thanks for your help

ET

4 minutes ago, Ethan_TX said:

Gateron Greens [..] Outemu blues

[..]

Once I did that, I still could not get the switches to seat properly.

Keep in mind that Outemo legs are thinner than the default, so it's entirely possible you're forcing the Gateron's legs into a hole it doesn't really properly fit in.

5 minutes ago, Ethan_TX said:

I am a bit confused. Are the Gateron greens supposed to be RGB compatible or not, and why is there a diode symbol on the bottom of the switch where you apparently need to cut to allow clearance and allow the LED to shine through.

Those types of Gateron switches are only fully compatible with THT LEDs. Those go through the switch housing and sit on its top.

image.png.ecda4211575ac185c77bb27dda6d0b59.png

This is kind of the original/traditional style of LEDs on mechanical keyboards.

The fact that we mostly use SMD LEDs is the reason most current switches have clear bottoms (or a 'window' in the case of Kailh BOX for example).

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

11 minutes ago, Ethan_TX said:

I found that the bottom of the Gateron green switch did not have the cutout for the SMT LED that is on the Aukey board

Which version of the Gateron Green did you get? Some of them do not have a cutout for SMD LEDs on the front of the PCB.

:)

I bought the Gateron greens from Novelkeys. There is nothing in the description that says they are RGB compatible.

I bought only 10 of the switches (along with 10 Gateron browns and a custom 16 pak of Kailh switches) to test in my new Glorious GMMK.

I didn't realize that the Gaterons were not RGB compatible with the PCB mounted SMT LED's on the GMMK, and also on my old Aukey KM-G3.

I am not planning to buy any more of the Gateron greens, as I have decided on the Kailh Box Navy (which are SMT/RGB compatible) for my GMMK, and will leave the Outemu blues on the Aukey.

Thanks minibois for the image. That explains why there is a diode symbol on the bottom of the switch. Not intended for the SMT LED's. The holes on either end of that diode symbol are intended for the leads of the thru-hole RGB LED's.

I was able to hack the two switches I installed on the Aukey, so they do work, and I am getting shine-through.

I had been considering buying enough of the Gateron greens to replace all of the switches on the Aukey, but now that I know these switches are not SMT/Led compatible, I will get the Kailh Box Navy's for that keyboard as well - if I decide to replace all of the switches, which isn't really necessary.