Windows 10 instillation issue

UpTheDons

so i just finished up a build for a family member and i go to install windows and it gets to like 30% and then gives me the restart screen. I then go into bios clean the SSD and try again. Same result. I am installing it off a USB stick which has windows on it and  it just keeps on failing. I've tried this around 6 times now and same thing keeps on happening. any help would be much appreciated. 

EDIT: i have managed to fix it by using some different ram.  

JOIN THE FIGHT AGAINST COVID-19 BY RUNNING FOLDING AT HOME!!

have a look at the thread below if your interested:

Home gaming and general work rig: CPU: 2700x with stock cooler Ram: Corsair vengeance pro RGB 16gb GPU: RX570 4GB (upgrading soon) Storage: 1x 500gb crucial SSD + 1tb HDD Mobo: B450-F gaming PSU: Corsair rmx550Case: Corsair 275R

F@H rig (In office and used for work too) CPU: 3600 Ram: Viper 16gb ram Mobo: B550-Tomahawk GPU's 1x 2080 super 1x 2060 super Storage: SN750 1tb Case: PC 011 Air PSU: Corsair RM850 Fans: 6x Noctua NF-12

Remember to quote me so I can see your reply!

Always Reply with a question if you have one! 😃

I had this issue before, I had to create the bootable media again. You could try to download the iso with the media creation tool and then use Rufus to make your bootable Windows 10 usb stick. 

Make sure when you do the install that your BIOS boot option is set to UEFI and any OS mode is set to Windows.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

5 minutes ago, Viper9 said:

I had this issue before, I had to create the bootable media again. You could try to download the iso with the media creation tool and then use Rufus to make your bootable Windows 10 usb stick. 

ok will redo it 

Home gaming and general work rig: CPU: 2700x with stock cooler Ram: Corsair vengeance pro RGB 16gb GPU: RX570 4GB (upgrading soon) Storage: 1x 500gb crucial SSD + 1tb HDD Mobo: B450-F gaming PSU: Corsair rmx550Case: Corsair 275R

F@H rig (In office and used for work too) CPU: 3600 Ram: Viper 16gb ram Mobo: B550-Tomahawk GPU's 1x 2080 super 1x 2060 super Storage: SN750 1tb Case: PC 011 Air PSU: Corsair RM850 Fans: 6x Noctua NF-12

13 hours ago, Viper9 said:

so i tried it again and i'm still getting the error screen halfway through i re-downloaded windows on the same stick as last time so i'm thinking its the stick.

Hey there. Are you installing Windows 10 while connected to the Internet? If that's the case, installation may take longer than expected thanks to Windows update installs. Seems like the 30% mark is where Windows 10 decides to install its updates.

SourceThe Windows 10... on Microsoft Community.

I'd suggest installing Windows 10 offline first, just to get the essentials up and running. Once you get to the login screen/desktop, you can connect to your Ethernet or Wi-Fi to get those Windows updates. If you'd like a guide, JayzTwoCents has an excellent step-by-step video:

正直に生きる、一度きりの人生だから

Keeb Weeb LinksCustom Mechanical Keyboards | #KeebWeebClub

'Chew Builds: Hoshī (PC) | Okashī (PC) | K-4398 (Keeb) | Eighty #391 (Keeb) | R2-968 (Keeb) | MGK64 (Keeb)

6 minutes ago, Eschew said:

Hey there. Are you installing Windows 10 while connected to the Internet? If that's the case, installation may take longer than expected thanks to Windows update installs. Seems like the 30% mark is where Windows 10 decides to install its updates.

I'd suggest installing Windows 10 offline first, just to get the essentials up and running. Once you get to the login screen/desktop, you can connect to your Ethernet or Wi-Fi to get those Windows updates. If you'd like a guide, JayzTwoCents has an excellent step-by-step video:

no im not connected to the internet.

7 minutes ago, Eschew said:

i’ve done it quite a few times before but this issue has never happened.

26 minutes ago, edwardc0114 said:

so i tried it again and i'm still getting the error screen halfway through i re-downloaded windows on the same stick as last time so i'm thinking its the stick.

just used a different stick and same issue starting to think it may be a problem with the ssd? 

5 minutes ago, edwardc0114 said:

i’ve done it quite a few times before but this issue has never happened.

i am actually also getting past 30% now. i just tried again and pretty much almost finished but then error.

14 minutes ago, edwardc0114 said:

just used a different stick and same issue starting to think it may be a problem with the ssd? 

12 minutes ago, edwardc0114 said:

i am actually also getting past 30% now. i just tried again and pretty much almost finished but then error.

Hm. I wouldn't rule out the SSD just yet. Is there an error code?

My only other suggestion is to do a clean install of Windows 10. If that doesn't do it for you, someone else from the community might be able to lend a hand. 😅

正直に生きる、一度きりの人生だから

Keeb Weeb LinksCustom Mechanical Keyboards | #KeebWeebClub

'Chew Builds: Hoshī (PC) | Okashī (PC) | K-4398 (Keeb) | Eighty #391 (Keeb) | R2-968 (Keeb) | MGK64 (Keeb)

21 minutes ago, edwardc0114 said:

bummer...try the win 10 home ISO (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10), on a different flash drive if possible. (I've had issues with boot media drives that are nearly maxed out, so if possible try it with a larger capacity drive (8 gigs would be enough, in case the one you are currently using is 4), just to be sure...also format (but not quick format) the drive when you begin installation, make sure you're booting under UEFI instead of legacy mode, set drive mode to AHCI instead of IDE (if possible) and if possible get the device online so updates can be downloaded in case they are critical, although it's unlikely. I saw you've tried some of these, I guess try it again by taking all the measures and good luck! Keep us up to date. 

P.S. Other things you have probably considered, even though they aren't likely to be causing this kind of issue, however I'm still just gonna mention:

- making sure everything is plugged in correctly and firmly

- making sure the build is properly designed (compatible parts)

- making sure the thermal framework of the system is ok (no cpu overheating casued by faullty cooler, faulty thermal paste, imperfect settlement of the unit, etc.) (You could check the info tab in your bios to be sure)

4 minutes ago, George. said:

bummer...try the win 10 home ISO (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10), on a different flash drive if possible. (I've had issues with boot media drives that are nearly maxed out, so if possible try it with a larger capacity drive (8 gigs would be enough, in case the one you are currently using is 4), just to be sure...also format (but not quick format) the drive when you begin installation, make sure you're booting under UEFI instead of legacy mode, set drive mode to AHCI instead of IDE (if possible) and if possible get the device online so updates can be downloaded in case they are critical, although it's unlikely. I saw you've tried some of these, I guess try it again by taking all the measures and good luck! Keep us up to date. 

hi thanks for advice i have now tried on a bigger flash drive which is bigger and new ssd but on that i'm getting the partition issue which i'm not exactly sure about. (the GDT thing)

3 minutes ago, edwardc0114 said:

hi thanks for advice i have now tried on a bigger flash drive which is bigger and new ssd but on that i'm getting the partition issue which i'm not exactly sure about. (the GDT thing)

what is the error exactly? GPT is required by the installation, meanwhile MBR is what you have?

1 minute ago, edwardc0114 said:

this is kinda like past my depth 

5 minutes ago, George. said:

what is the error exactly? GPT is required by the installation, meanwhile MBR is what you have?

it just gives me the blue recovery screen with the sad face theres no indication of what the error could be 

To convert from MBR to GPT do the following:

when you get to the part where you have to insert your product key press shift+F10 (a CMD will appear). 

Now in that CMD window:

1) Type "diskpart" and press enter

2) Type "list disk" and press enter

3) Now you have to select the drive where you want to settle your windows installation, if it's a new ssd it should have 1 drive only (which would be number 0) 

4) Type "select disk 0" (if that's the one you want to convert from mbr to gpt)

5) Type "clean" and press enter to format

6) Type "convert GPT" and press enter to convert from mbr to gpt

And now your drive should be ready.

1 minute ago, George. said:

To convert from MBR to GPT do the following:

when you get to the part where you have to insert your product key press shift+F10 (a CMD will appear). 

Now in that CMD window:

1) Type "diskpart" and press enter

2) Type "list disk" and press enter

3) Now you have to select the drive where you want to settle your windows installation, if it's a new ssd it should have 1 drive only (which would be number 0) 

4) Type "select disk 0" (if that's the one you want to convert from mbr to gpt)

5) Type "clean" to format

6) Type "convert GPT"

And now your drive should be ready.

ok will do. saw a youtube vid on this but on the old ssd it just went straight to instillation.

4 minutes ago, edwardc0114 said:

this is kinda like past my depth 

it just gives me the blue recovery screen with the sad face theres no indication of what the error could be 

no error code? dang. Well I'm out of ideas, I'd start again after evaluating what's working and what not. Any info about the build?

3 minutes ago, edwardc0114 said:

ok will do. saw a youtube vid on this but on the old ssd it just went straight to instillation.

On the first ssd this won't help since you've already started installing therefore your drive was in gpt format. This will fix an incompatibility error with drive systems, prob won't help against a blue screen, I provided the steps in case you need to convert in order to begin the installation process (which I understood happens with the second ssd you were trying to install windows on)

Can you give us some info about the build? What parts does it consist of? (Not that having a gpu A instead of B would cause this, but still...)

Also according to the mobo model I could look into its bios settings, see if there's sth else we could do.

flashing the bios is an option but you would need another PC/laptop to perform a bios update/recovery...and it's kinda risky so I'd leave that for last resort...

14 minutes ago, George. said:

Can you give us some info about the build? What parts does it consist of? (Not that having a gpu A instead of B would cause this, but still...)

Also according to the mobo model I could look into its bios settings, see if there's sth else we could do.

ok here are the specs

cpu: 3200g

mobo: b450m-HDV

ssd: 240gb 

ram: 8gb ddr4 

16 minutes ago, George. said:

ok if you could that would be great cheers. 

22 minutes ago, George. said:

On the first ssd this won't help since you've already started installing therefore your drive was in gpt format. This will fix an incompatibility error with drive systems, prob won't help against a blue screen, I provided the steps in case you need to convert in order to begin the installation process (which I understood happens with the second ssd you were trying to install windows on)

yeah its just with the second ssd.