1440p or 1080p?

Marre77

so here are my pc specs.

Asus rx 5700

B450-f mb

ryzen 3600x

32gb 3200 mhz ram.

So im buying a monitor. I know 2 monitors that i want to buy. they are the same accept one is 1440p and one 1080p. But whats more worth it? would i even be able to handle it. Because they are the same price too since one is on sale. what do you guys think? i dont wnat to waste 350 $. thanks beforehand.

You would not have any problems being able to play games at 1440p resolution on this type of build. If you go with a 1080p, youll have lower resolution (But still great) and higher frames per second. 1440p is of course the opposite, higher resolution but with lower frames per second.

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800X GPU: Reference 5700XT (Asus) Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X470-F RAM: Corsair 32GB Vengeance 3600Mhz PSU: Corsair RM850X White

Cooling: Corsair H115i RGB Storage: 500GB WD SN750 M.2, 4TB Samsung EVO SSD Case: NZXT H500i White

Keyboard: Asus ROG Strix Flare (MX Red) Mouse: Corsair Sabre RGB

Just now, CPT_BEEMO said:

You would not have any problems being able to play games at 1440p resolution on this type of build. If you go with a 1080p, youll have lower resolution (But still great) and higher frames per second. 1440p is of course the opposite, higher resolution but with lower frames per second.

yeah but for example a game like rust. a high demanding one. i currently have max settings and i get 70 to 90 fps on 1080p. but with a 1440p? would i get 20 less frames or more. and is it worth lowering graphics for resolution? i currently have a 1080p monitor with 60 hz. and to be honest i see no lag at all since it isnt really a fast action game.

If they both the same FPS go with the higher pixel count one.
As you can always play a game in 1080p on a 1440p monitor but not the other way around. ;)

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

2 minutes ago, Marre77 said:

yeah but for example a game like rust. a high demanding one. i currently have max settings and i get 70 to 90 fps on 1080p. but with a 1440p? would i get 20 less frames or more. and is it worth lowering graphics for resolution? i currently have a 1080p monitor with 60 hz. and to be honest i see no lag at all since it isnt really a fast action game.

That is really more of a preference you would have to decide on your own. @HanZie82 is very much correct. If it were me, I would still get the 1440p as you can lower the res to 1080p to get higher frames while maintaining your quality settings. If you play more esports types of titles, level of detail holds much less ground over frames per second. where as if you are really looking for detail and crisp quality images, youll sacrifice the fps. As long as you're able to maintain 60+ fps you would be good to go. IMHO, and I think anyone else in here would agree that so long as the price is right, I would do the 1440p

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800X GPU: Reference 5700XT (Asus) Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X470-F RAM: Corsair 32GB Vengeance 3600Mhz PSU: Corsair RM850X White

Cooling: Corsair H115i RGB Storage: 500GB WD SN750 M.2, 4TB Samsung EVO SSD Case: NZXT H500i White

4 minutes ago, CPT_BEEMO said:

That is really more of a preference you would have to decide on your own. @HanZie82 is very much correct. If it were me, I would still get the 1440p as you can lower the res to 1080p to get higher frames while maintaining your quality settings. If you play more esports types of titles, level of detail holds much less ground over frames per second. where as if you are really looking for detail and crisp quality images, youll sacrifice the fps. As long as you're able to maintain 60+ fps you would be good to go. IMHO, and I think anyone else in here would agree that so long as the price is right, I would do the 1440p

thank you, i have talked to my dad too. He also preferred the 1440p one. since rust is a high demanding game and i will probably move on to less demanding games. So i can't just buy the monitor thats suits just rust. More of whats suits my pc and overall games. I will order the 1440p one. Especially when its the same price. rather pick one up on sale that i still can run hd on than just the hd option. Thank you!

7 minutes ago, Marre77 said:

thank you, i have talked to my dad too. He also preferred the 1440p one. since rust is a high demanding game and i will probably move on to less demanding games. So i can't just buy the monitor thats suits just rust. More of whats suits my pc and overall games. I will order the 1440p one. Especially when its the same price. rather pick one up on sale that i still can run hd on than just the hd option. Thank you!

Good choice. Some things to look out for when purchasing displays:

1: Brightness - While you may see a great looking monitor with high refresh and low latency, one of the overlooked specs is the brightness. If I can suggest anything, I would try and keep it above 350 nits or 350cd/m^2. (personal preference, which was advised to me by my local memory express retailer).

2: If you are able to find the monitor on display at a retailer, test it out. have a look, check to see if it has a lot of light leak around the edge of the display. try the buttons and menus, see how user friendly they are, really give it a go for your day to day usage. You may not be able to demo a game on it, but check out the color accuracy, make sure you are happy with it and imagine if you think you could see yourself enjoying it on a day to day basis.

3: Panel type. Is the panel a TN? VA? IPS? these all mean something huge. Check out https://inputlag.com/tn-vs-ips-vs-va-monitors/ for details on each and some pros and cons about each type of panel.

4: Latency: This is very important to some, and not so much to others, but I would try and keep your display within the 1-4ms GTG (Grey to Grey) response time. The lower, the better.

3 hours ago, CPT_BEEMO said:

Good choice. Some things to look out for when purchasing displays:

1: Brightness - While you may see a great looking monitor with high refresh and low latency, one of the overlooked specs is the brightness. If I can suggest anything, I would try and keep it above 350 nits or 350cd/m^2. (personal preference, which was advised to me by my local memory express retailer).

2: If you are able to find the monitor on display at a retailer, test it out. have a look, check to see if it has a lot of light leak around the edge of the display. try the buttons and menus, see how user friendly they are, really give it a go for your day to day usage. You may not be able to demo a game on it, but check out the color accuracy, make sure you are happy with it and imagine if you think you could see yourself enjoying it on a day to day basis.

3: Panel type. Is the panel a TN? VA? IPS? these all mean something huge. Check out https://inputlag.com/tn-vs-ips-vs-va-monitors/ for details on each and some pros and cons about each type of panel.

4: Latency: This is very important to some, and not so much to others, but I would try and keep your display within the 1-4ms GTG (Grey to Grey) response time. The lower, the better.

sorry for the late answer. I have already done research since i always do before i buy something.

So

the brightness is 400

its a VA panel so in the middle.

1ms confirmed by tests.

and its msi curved 27 inch

otherwise amd freesync, low blue light, 144hz and anti flickering.

Thank you anyways for helping me out :) 

oh yeah and the color acuresy is 115 % so not ips level but not tn. perfect.

55 minutes ago, Marre77 said:

sorry for the late answer. I have already done research since i always do before i buy something.

So

the brightness is 400

its a VA panel so in the middle.

1ms confirmed by tests.

and its msi curved 27 inch

otherwise amd freesync, low blue light, 144hz and anti flickering.

Thank you anyways for helping me out :) 

oh yeah and the color acuresy is 115 % so not ips level but not tn. perfect.

A 1ms VA panel doesnt exist. So dunno what tests ur referring to.

Be careful with VA panels, they can be the best choice, but generally only top of the line ones, budget options usually fall prey to the classic slow pixel transition of dark transitions.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |