CPU Fan Error

AntonChigurh

I Have a Ryzen 5 2600X CPU with the default cooler on it. It has served me great and I've had zero issues until recently. Recently I've been getting CPU fan errors whenever i boot up, and once in a blue moon my PC will shut down entirely (i'm assuming due to throttling). This usually happens when playing GTA online. I have no clue what is causing this, as my fan is on tight, i am not overclocked and the CPU temps only reach ~70c max, even at high loads. I tried going into my BIOS to change my fan settings, but MSI click BIOS has been ****ing up too. It just locks up the second I enter the BIOS. i have no clue if this is due to it not recognizing my keyboard and mouse or if it's truly frozen. Any help with these issues would be appreciated.

"There is a fine line between not listening, and not caring. I'd like to think I walk that line every day of my life."

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X w/stock cooler, Motherboard: MSI X370 GAMING PLUS, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 24gb DDR4-2600, GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 SUPER XC, Case: NZXT S340, PSU: Corsair RMx 750w, Keyboard: Corsair K50, Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

3 minutes ago, AntonChigurh said:

I Have a Ryzen 5 2600X CPU with the default cooler on it. It has served me great and I've had zero issues until recently. Recently I've been getting CPU fan errors whenever i boot up, and once in a blue moon my PC will shut down entirely (i'm assuming due to throttling). This usually happens when playing GTA online. I have no clue what is causing this, as my fan is on tight, i am not overclocked and the CPU temps only reach ~70c max, even at high loads. I tried going into my BIOS to change my fan settings, but MSI click BIOS has been ****ing up too. It just locks up the second I enter the BIOS. i have no clue if this is due to it not recognizing my keyboard and mouse or if it's truly frozen. Any help with these issues would be appreciated.

are you sure your fan is even spinning?

update your BIOS first, and use a wired KB/mouse to make sure it works. 

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

I've had this happen before due to the speed sensor in the fan going bad. Even though it was still working just fine physically, sometimes the tachometer signal would drop out and report 0rpm giving a CPU fan error and PC would shut down to protect itself because it thinks the fan stopped working. 

Though it shouldn't be related to your BIOS freezing up. Is it on the latest BIOS?

"Rawr XD"

2 minutes ago, VioDuskar said:

are you sure your fan is even spinning?

update your BIOS first, and use a wired KB/mouse to make sure it works. 

Yes I have a side panel, it is spinning.

My bios is up to date, and my keyboard is wired.

3 minutes ago, Aniallation said:

I've had this happen before due to the speed sensor in the fan going bad. Even though it was still working just fine physically, sometimes the tachometer signal would drop out and report 0rpm giving a CPU fan error and PC would shut down to protect itself because it thinks the fan stopped working. 

Though it shouldn't be related to your BIOS freezing up. Is it on the latest BIOS?

Yes it is on the latest BIOS. Also it looks like the tachy signal might be the issue, CAM gives an "n/a" for fan RPM. Any way to fix this?

"There is a fine line between not listening, and not caring. I'd like to think I walk that line every day of my life."

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X w/stock cooler, Motherboard: MSI X370 GAMING PLUS, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 24gb DDR4-2600, GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 SUPER XC, Case: NZXT S340, PSU: Corsair RMx 750w, Keyboard: Corsair K50, Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

1 minute ago, AntonChigurh said:

Yes I have a side panel, it is spinning.

My bios is up to date, and my keyboard is wired.

Yes it is on the latest BIOS. Also it looks like the tachy signal might be the issue, CAM gives an "n/a" for fan RPM. Any way to fix this?

There's not really a direct replacement fan for the Wraith cooler unless you happen to have another one. If not, might as well just use it as an excuse to get a better cooler.

"Rawr XD"

1 minute ago, Aniallation said:

There's not really a direct replacement fan for the Wraith cooler unless you happen to have another one. If not, might as well just use it as an excuse to get a better cooler.

Yeah i was thinking of copping an new cooler anyways, wanted to OC. Just dropped $100 on a CM MA620M and 2 more case fans... my wallet hurts but my processor won't :D

thanks for the help

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540