A/V amp DAC any good?

Dilexius

I just bought a paid of Corsair sp2500 speakers and was wondering if there would be any benefit of connecting them through my amp with a Spidif? (I would use a line out on the amp to not have to bother with volume on it)

The amp is a Yamaha RX-v620. Cnet says the DAC is 24bit / 96kHz

Would there be any sound quality improvement over the DAC built into my mobo (MSI matx b450 Mortar)

if you are connecting to an amp with spidif you are not connecting to the amp, but only the A to D converter, the amp AND the DAC is already in the subwoofer housing of the corasir system. so unless you are plugging an analogue signal into the yamaha, say like a tapedeck or a record player there is no real point in it as you will not get any benifit other than it being an a to d converter and maybe the ability to eq or anything else that is included in the Yamaha, but probably no signifigant advantage to quality

EDIT: this is assuming you want to connect something like your pc to the system

The Wannabe is no longer. Replaced by the Flotilla. If you replace every part of a computer is it still the same computer?

Survived the Survivor 2299

Audio Engineer, Lighting Programmer, Video Engineer, FOH.

4 hours ago, seabass9990 said:

if you are connecting to an amp with spidif you are not connecting to the amp, but only the A to D converter, the amp AND the DAC is already in the subwoofer housing of the corasir system. so unless you are plugging an analogue signal into the yamaha, say like a tapedeck or a record player there is no real point in it as you will not get any benifit other than it being an a to d converter and maybe the ability to eq or anything else that is included in the Yamaha, but probably no signifigant advantage to quality

EDIT: this is assuming you want to connect something like your pc to the system

I figured if I connected through digital to the amp it would use the amps DAC instead of the MoBos. And I was wondering if the amp DAC was better or how much better in that case. 

The corsair speakers don't have any DAC in them as they only accept analog input 

3 hours ago, Dilexius said:

I figured if I connected through digital to the amp it would use the amps DAC instead of the MoBos. And I was wondering if the amp DAC was better or how much better in that case. 

The corsair speakers don't have any DAC in them as they only accept analog input 

OOOOHHHHH your saying you want to connect the yamaha to your computer using a SPIDIF connection, in that case sure, It might provide slightly better audio depending on how good your computers onboard DAC is. if it wont cost you anything I would do it. sorry for the confusion

The Wannabe is no longer. Replaced by the Flotilla. If you replace every part of a computer is it still the same computer?

Survived the Survivor 2299

Audio Engineer, Lighting Programmer, Video Engineer, FOH.