PCIe 4.0 SSD

Rea Imemi

Hello,

I am new here and was looking for some advice!

I currently own an AMD motherboard with PCIe 3.0, and would in time most likely upgrade to a motherboard with PCIe 4.0 (whether that be Intel or AMD, or else)

My question is; if I was to purchase a PCIe 4,0 NVMe SSD (Gigabyte GP-ASM2NE6500GTTD is the one I am looking at)

a) Would it first work with PCIe 3.0?

b) If it was to work, what speed/transfer rates could I possibly achieve? Compared to the stated PCIe 4.0 speeds.

It's only that I have seen one for sale at a good price and I was looking to at least future proof the OS SSD for a few years.

Thanks Rea

Just now, Rea Imemi said:

Hello,

It's completely unnecessary for gaming

even a sata SSD is fast enough for general use.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

1 minute ago, Rea Imemi said:

a) Would it first work with PCIe 3.0?

yes

1 minute ago, Rea Imemi said:

b) If it was to work, what speed/transfer rates could I possibly achieve? Compared to the stated PCIe 4.0 speeds.

about the pcie gen 3 speed limit

I still probalby stay away from gen 4 drives for now. The extra sequentical speeds won't matter for almost all desktop workloads.

Guess it is an overkill.

Happy with my Samsung 860 EVO. 

I know that it seems a bit outside. But, for the price I seen this for you can get a PCIe 3.0 with same capacity for the same, so if this would work with my current system and still be a great to average performer within the coming years (with an upgraded system) then I can get the best i can afford for as long as possible.

I do find that if the OS is as frictionless as possible with the CPU and memory then the whole system works much more affectively

My current NVMe 128GB is extremely good for my needs when comes to performance, but as it is only 128GB (1200MB/s read and 500MB/s write) I am now; after a year and bit finding to easy to fill up - so, I was looking for a NVMe to replace the one I have. I think 512GB should be enough for my needs and if the drive is quicker then all the better. I don't want to buy a PCIe 4.0 drive for this second in time only, but for hopefully from now to 5 - 7 years from now.

Also, I don't use my PC as a gaming apparatus only, so therefore gaming abilities are not my first concern when I construct my PC's, rather an added bonus.

Having an NVMe is good but I still think NVMe's to be overkill for home setups. Maybe, I'm not such a power user... My home PC has way bigger problems than a drive, to be honest.

Sure you can get a superfast disk, but not the drive alone determines performance of your system. If it is meant for OS boot, 128 GB is good enough.

Well outside of the overkill argument, to answer your question yes it should work just fine, the PCIe standard is made to be backward and forward compatible. 

"Rawr XD"