Controlling molex output?

Go to solution Solved by fordy_rounds,
On 5/6/2020 at 9:34 PM, LIGISTX said:

If they don't have an RPM sense line (they only have molex plugs), not really. What you can do is:

https://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/372297-Guide-to-the-7v-Fan-Mod

That guide has you change the fan side wires, so you actually give the fans 7v or 5v instead of 12. So you don't get fan control, but you just run them at a lower voltage and thus lower RPM at all times. 

It would be a little more complex, but another option might be to put in a linear potentiometer to control it, with the knob somehow affixed outside the case. It would be manual control, not automatic, but at least it's adjustable. That's basically what this is, but if you're comfortable soldering you might be able to DIY it cheaper.

I have fans that are connected with my motherboard for rgb via a splitter, it has 4 6-pins that connect to fans, 4-pin for rgb that goes to motherboard and a molex for power. 

My question here is: can i buy something that would connect to my motherboard and to the molex so that i can control the fans? Currently i cannot change their speed.

The case and mobo in question are CMT520 from FSP and rog b450-e motherboard.

dude. you should just ditch molex fans. how did you even get molex fans with RGB?

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

Welp they were included with the case XD...

I mean they work ok so i dont have a reason to ditch them or money to buy replacements ...

31 minutes ago, CaptainSpeedster said:

I have fans that are connected with my motherboard for rgb via a splitter, it has 4 6-pins that connect to fans, 4-pin for rgb that goes to motherboard and a molex for power. 

My question here is: can i buy something that would connect to my motherboard and to the molex so that i can control the fans? Currently i cannot change their speed.

The case and mobo in question are CMT520 from FSP and rog b450-e motherboard.

If they don't have an RPM sense line (they only have molex plugs), not really. What you can do is:

https://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/372297-Guide-to-the-7v-Fan-Mod

That guide has you change the fan side wires, so you actually give the fans 7v or 5v instead of 12. So you don't get fan control, but you just run them at a lower voltage and thus lower RPM at all times. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

20 hours ago, LIGISTX said:

Thanks, i was thinking about something similar when asking this question. Il try that when i have time.

On 5/6/2020 at 9:34 PM, LIGISTX said:

It would be a little more complex, but another option might be to put in a linear potentiometer to control it, with the knob somehow affixed outside the case. It would be manual control, not automatic, but at least it's adjustable. That's basically what this is, but if you're comfortable soldering you might be able to DIY it cheaper.