Using a Server PSU in a Desktop

Go to solution Solved by Electronics Wizardy,

Why not just run a power exention to the back where the current power plug is, then put the psu somewhere else in the case?

I’m currently converting a Powermac G5 to ATX. Because of the curve on the top and bottom of the case, I’m having trouble fitting an ATX PSU. I need to be able to access the power switch and plug on the back of the case. Last night, I thought, “server PSUs are slim, one of those might fit well”. After looking on Ebay, I found out that server PSUs are cheaper, higher efficiency and higher wattage. I also found some breakout boards online which I think would make it plug-and-play Here are my questions though;

1.      Will this function basically the same as an ATX desktop PSU?

2.      Is there a higher risk of damaging my components?

3.      Could this burn my house down?

4.      Does it have the right plugs for my build? I need these:

a.      1x 24pin or 20 + 4pin

b.      4pin

c.       2x 8 pin (or 1x 8 pin and 2x 6pin)

d.      3x SATA Power

5.      Which Server PSU and/or Breakout Board should I get? (I need at least 600W, I'm not looking to spend more than $60 and I'll only buy a NEW PSU)

6.      Is there a better way? Is there a cheaper way?

Thanks for reading my rant!

Aidan

You'll be lucky, most server PSU's from what I've seen don't have a 5V rail. Just a huge 12V rail plus 5Vstb. Either the mainboard or the PSU backplane will generate the 5V supply.

I know what you mean about the space though, I have a G5 for the same thing although my workstation board is too big even for that case.

Why not just run a power exention to the back where the current power plug is, then put the psu somewhere else in the case?

Beware that server PSUs are often jet engine level loud.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

I've just found a FSP500-701UH power supply on eBay. It has all the standard ATX rails (multiple 12v too), but will need wire splicing or re-pinning. Not as cheap as the HP ones that are floating about though.

Also the Proliant ML120 PSU, but it's only 350w. Does look to have a standard ATX connector, but can't tell if the pinout is the same or not.

6 hours ago, Curious Pineapple said:

You'll be lucky, most server PSU's from what I've seen don't have a 5V rail. Just a huge 12V rail plus 5Vstb. Either the mainboard or the PSU backplane will generate the 5V supply.

I know what you mean about the space though, I have a G5 for the same thing although my workstation board is too big even for that case.

Would you mind sending me a pic of your layout? I'm able to fit everything but I think I need to elevate the PSU to the flat part above the curve so I can screw it to the back.

6 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

I'd prefer to have access to the back of the PSU but that's a great suggestion.

6 hours ago, Curious Pineapple said:

I've just found a FSP500-701UH power supply on eBay. It has all the standard ATX rails (multiple 12v too), but will need wire splicing or re-pinning. Not as cheap as the HP ones that are floating about though.

Also the Proliant ML120 PSU, but it's only 350w. Does look to have a standard ATX connector, but can't tell if the pinout is the same or not.

I'm not too familiar with server hardware, what do you mean by ATX rails? Also, splicing and re-pinning sound super scary to me.

2 hours ago, AidanOnEverything said:

I'd prefer to have access to the back of the PSU but that's a great suggestion.

Do you really need the switch? Unplugging it does the same thing

1 hour ago, AidanOnEverything said:

I'm not too familiar with server hardware, what do you mean by ATX rails? Also, splicing and re-pinning sound super scary to me.

That psu adapter is made for mining and other uses where you only need 12v, It won't power the 5v and 3v3 railes that motherboards need

7 hours ago, AidanOnEverything said:

Would you mind sending me a pic of your layout? I'm able to fit everything but I think I need to elevate the PSU to the flat part above the curve so I can screw it to the back.

I've not started going it yet, don't think my board will even fit, it's a big dual CPU monster.

7 hours ago, AidanOnEverything said:

It has all the voltage outputs the board neads. If you want to do it cheap you'll need to do some wiring, you'll likely find a supply made for ITX cases that will fit but they're not that cheap.

10 hours ago, Curious Pineapple said:

I've not started going it yet, don't think my board will even fit, it's a big dual CPU monster.

It has all the voltage outputs the board neads. If you want to do it cheap you'll need to do some wiring, you'll likely find a supply made for ITX cases that will fit but they're not that cheap.

I think I may just use an ATX Power Supply, I'm in the process of getting my non-working one replaced. I will try and figure out how I can fit my PSU in the G5, I will definitely consider Electronics Wizardy's suggestion. Good luck on your ATX conversion, Curious Pineapple.