The newest Windows 10 update won’t install

Jared O

Can someone please link me to the iso of 1909? I can’t seem to find it, and the status of it in the Windows updater has just been stuck at Status: Downloading - 100%” for the past four hours.

I don’t understand how a $3,500 system can run into such huge bugs...........

or is there any way to fix it other than restarting the updater (and possibly deleting my download in the process) and having to manually install this update which I’ve also never done before?

7 minutes ago, Jared O said:

I don’t understand how a $3,500 system can run into such huge bugs

Not the system, it's Windows being Windows.

Try just reinstalling Windows and the installer should install the latest version.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Maybe it will help to reset Windows Update components....... It is quite a bit of work.... but try the procedure here https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/update/windows-update-resources.

Or maybe this script will do all that for you.

https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/Reset-Windows-Update-Agent-d824badc

15 minutes ago, Jared O said:

I don’t understand how a $3,500 system can run into such huge bugs...........

Software and hardware compatibility does not have anything to do with how expensive and/or high-end the hardware is, most of the times (usually), the mainstream system hardware gets the most testing and hardware validation to work with the majority of operating systems and software.

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

@Boomwebsearch 

8 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Not the system, it's Windows being Windows.

Try just reinstalling Windows and the installer should install the latest version.

True

Also, I have an extremely slow internet connection so a restore and re-downloading everything that I have isn’t an option at the moment, unfortunately.

At this point I suppose my only option is to download and install 1909 manually. How do I go about doing something like that?

12 minutes ago, aDoomGuy said:

Maybe it will help to reset Windows Update components....... It is quite a bit of work.... but try the procedure here https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/update/windows-update-resources.

https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/Reset-Windows-Update-Agent-d824badc

I’ll try that first and if I lose my download in the process, I will have to try to install 1909 manually, though I don’t know how

10 minutes ago, Boomwebsearch said:

Software and hardware compatibility does not have anything to do with how expensive and/or high-end the hardware is, most of the times (usually), the mainstream system hardware gets the most testing and hardware validation to work with the majority of operating systems and software.

Pretty pathetic that Microsoft hasn’t fixed this bug yet though when apparently it’s pretty common, seeing the results when I looked this up. This is utter BS.

42 minutes ago, aDoomGuy said:

Doing all of that changed nothing so it’s sad to say there’s an actual Windows bug that forces you to manually install an update. Here’s hoping I don’t run into a bug during /that/. 😒

38 minutes ago, Jared O said:

Doing all of that changed nothing so it’s sad to say there’s an actual Windows bug that forces you to manually install an update. Here’s hoping I don’t run into a bug during /that/. 😒

Hmm I haven't had problems with Windows Update since Windows 8. Think you need to reinstall the bugger...

5 minutes ago, aDoomGuy said:

Hmm I haven't had problems with Windows Update since Windows 8. Think you need to reinstall the bugger...

Well, I am using my mobile hotspot as internet which is why the download took nearly 3 days to download due to constant failed attempts, though it always picked back up where it was at with every reconnect which is why I was eventually able to hit 100 - and it just sits there for like an hour until it fails again

I would normally think it’s because of that, but I already have 100% of the download so I don’t understand why it’s not transitioning to installation

Just now, Jared O said:

Well, I am using my mobile hotspot as internet which is why the download took nearly 3 days to download due to constant failed attempts, though it always picked back up where it was at with every reconnect which is why I was eventually able to hit 100 - and it just sits there for like an hour until it fails again

I would normally think it’s because of that, but I already have 100% of the download so I don’t understand why it’s not transitioning to installation

The download may be corrupt due to the disconnecting I think. Though the fix I provided earlier that didn't help ..I think it should have cleared the downloaded files..

2 minutes ago, aDoomGuy said:

The download may be corrupt due to the disconnecting I think. Though the fix I provided earlier that didn't help ..I think it should have cleared the downloaded files..

Yeah I still have the download according to the app so I’m just going to have to figure out how to manually install it. This sucks because it’s an update required to run RTX in a certain game and I have to bust ass in this aspect too to get what I already paid thousands for

2 minutes ago, Jared O said:

Yeah I still have the download according to the app so I’m just going to have to figure out how to manually install it. This sucks because it’s an update required to run RTX and I have to bust ass in this aspect too to get what I already paid thousands for

Try this right here.

How to Delete Downloaded Windows Update Files in Windows 10

• Open File Explorer.
  • Go to C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download. ...
  • Select all files of the folder(press the Ctrl-A keys).
  • Press the Delete key on the keyboard.
  • Windows may request for administrator privileges to delete those files

"Pro" tip: Hold Shift key when you press delete to delete permanently.

There may be corrupted things still, if that doesn't work try running that script from before. EDIT: Also good idea perhaps to reboot.

11 minutes ago, aDoomGuy said:

Try this right here.

How to Delete Downloaded Windows Update Files in Windows 10

• Open File Explorer.
  • Go to C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download. ...
  • Select all files of the folder(press the Ctrl-A keys).
  • Press the Delete key on the keyboard.
  • Windows may request for administrator privileges to delete those files

"Pro" tip: Hold Shift key when you press delete to delete permanently.

There may be corrupted things still, if that doesn't work try running that script from before. EDIT: Also good idea perhaps to reboot.

Yeah I tried rebooting and tbh, this thing has proven to be so unreliable on my system so I feel much safer putting in all that download time into the manual implementation now, especially since I already wasted like 3.5 gigs of my limited hotspot data on that first failed attempt

1 minute ago, Jared O said:

Yeah I tried rebooting and tbh, this thing has proven to be so unreliable on my system so I feel much safer putting in all that download time into the manual implementation now, especially since I already wasted like 3.5 gigs of my limited hotspot data on that first failed attempt

Yeah, try this then. I have not manually downloaded an update since XP but have a look here. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/973135/how-to-download-a-windows-update-manually

On 5/6/2020 at 1:22 PM, aDoomGuy said:

Yeah, try this then. I have not manually downloaded an update since XP but have a look here. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/973135/how-to-download-a-windows-update-manually

Turns out the fix was extremely easy! It just took tons of trial and error to resort to this, but all I had to do was download the iso directly from their website /onto my jailbroken iPhone/, then simply move the file to a folder that is viewable from my computer without having to worry about how to get SSH working again without WiFi. (I somehow got full-access raw file system SSH to work a couple months ago but apparently looking into it again would have just been an unnecessary waste of time anyways.) 

and then simply mounted the iso and installed from there on my PC

At least now I know how to do all of these workarounds

Thank fuck for my jailbreak lol