ATI Radeon HD 5850 worth keeping?

mmurley

I have a project computer - a Dell Optiplex that I case-swapped into a Corsair case, etc.  I wanted a HDMI graphics card - but I'm not a "gamer" really (my last game was Hearts of Iron III which isn't really a graphics hog! 🤣).

So I put a ATI Radeon HD 5850 1G in it - my other choices in the parts box are a Nvidia GeForce GT 1030 OC 2G or a Nvidia GeForce GT 730 2GB (but it's DP and DVI - no HDMI).

Reading around the internet I think the 5850 is the better card (even if it's old tech)?

If it works for you it is a good card.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

If it fulfills your needs, keep it, if not, get a 750Ti or a 980Ti on the used market. I wouldn't go for either of those Nvidia cards you listed. 

"Tolerance is the lube that helps the dildo of dysfunction slip into the ass of a civilized society" - Plato 427-347 BC

"Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society" - Aristotle 384-322 BC

"Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment" - Lebiniz 1st of July 1646 - 14th of November 1716