COVID-19 Stimulus checks; has anyone else THOUGHT of this???

Phas3L0ck

So here's the beef: while workers in America are hit by unemployment, bill shock, and outright losing business, the government is offering measly $1,200 checks to "stimulate the economy" and apparently help relieve some of that stress of bills.  The problem is that, while this may be a good thing, it simply is NOT enough.

So who does this mess really benefit?

Kids. That's who. People who have never had a job, can't get work for a number of reasons, or who are severely impoverished, and miscellaneous individuals who just need a financial boost for something to make their life easier... these are the people that benefit from an effort that, while in good faith, is in my opinion a pathetic attempt to mitigate mass chaos and resulting damage due to a number of socioeconomic shortcomings.  **Insert BURN here-- oh wait, I just did**

So that's the beef, now here's the bone: "If you don't usually file a tax return," a form says, you can "submit your information here to get the Economic Impact Payment"

WAIT! Before you mods kick me off or slap me with an "unsolicited advertisement" ban, listen up-- I'm gonna tell the simple people out there what they probably already know but don't understand.    Long story short, if you are a legal U.S citizen (18 years or older-- **but some sites say 16 or older) and you did NOT file taxes in 2018 or 2019, even if you happened to have a job for a short time, you are entitled to get $1,200 of TAX-FREE CASH RIGHT NOW!!!  (*and by right now, I mean exactly 2 business weeks if you choose direct deposit into your bank account)

SO... If you're some guy who lives in the U.S, has their own bank account, and did not file 2018 or 2019 taxes, and you really want something or need to do whatever, there is new money waiting for you at this very moment. I didn't believe it myself that just anyone can get this money, but it turns out, you CAN! Even some homeless people are getting new money for the first time in years!  So many people in America simply don't know that this benefit is available to them!

-----WARNING: do not proceed below this point unless you enjoy reading accurate analyses of common people in the "modern" world.----- *also this last part is slightly off-topic, so please take it lightly*

...and then there are the highly predictable people we all know who SUCK at fundamental logistics and although they qualify and have the necessary resources (account, ID, SSN, cell phone, computer with internet, etc.) they just don't understand and will never realize what they could have if they had so much as half a coherent thought of their own. Trust me, I know lots of people personally who suffer from excessive humanity and a grotesque lack of business etiquette. I mean... how hard is it to push a few buttons, enter your information, and follow instructions?  And yet... people with "education" that, regardless of whether they do or don't file taxes, firmly believe that "those checks haven't even been sent out yet, and it's gonna take several more week before they start..." despite clear and obvious evidence to the contrary; more to the point, the person standing next them already has their new money!!! A provable observation could be that those who seem to know the most are devoid of any meaningful intelligence, and those who appear to know nothing are actually the smartest person in the room-- but without fancy certifications or "qualifications" that the "qualified" people require.  To that effect I say, what an arrogant country we are.  And for that matter, isn't it interesting that we are one of the most technologically equipped nations in the world? We have all these "preparations" in place, the U.S honestly believed that COVID-19 wouldn't affect us and that "even if it did, we'll be ready for it..." Well, this pandemic tested our preparedness, our technology, and challenged our resources and ability to handle hardship, and... we... FAILED!

Forgive me if I sound like I'm off on a tangent, but I'm trying to prove a point here.  Ultimately, the cavalier commoners of this country are pointlessly predictable and frequently flagrant regarding pertinent matters potentially due to widespread delusion and delirium on top of a story they make, they quiver and quake, with a feeling they shake, no matter how fake, this is a truth for few to take.  Don't be stuck in blues after hearing the news, make the government pay their dues, then have dollars for you to use!

3 minutes ago, Phas3L0ck said:

Kids. That's who.

Kids can't even get any money for themselves, and their parents only get +$500 per child to a certain limit. Not sure how they benefit so much here.

A girl who loves to love.

Just now, Aimi said:

Kids can't even get any money for themselves, and their parents only get +$500 per child to a certain limit. Not sure how they benefit so much here.

Okay, YES, kids under 16 are legit kids. But for those 18 and over (maybe 16 or over-- must double check) there may be hope.

1 minute ago, NZgamer said:

tbh they should have waited until the pandemic was over before giving everyone a stimulus cheque and saying "go out and spend this" which means people are going to leave their homes, go to shops and spread the virus more

That's fair to say. But there are plenty of people getting the money who need it for paying bills honestly.

Everyone else who gets it has a nice windfall. :-)

Unfortunately most adults over 18 until 22-24 years old have been claimed by their parents as dependents.

So, most of these 18-24 year olds can't claim the stimulus check and their parents won't even get the $500 extra for them because that $500 bonus is for dependents under the age of 18.

I mean, they could file, but then that opens their parents up for a possible audit as well.

So, in theory, this stimulus check benefits families and independent filers the most and hurts college students the most.

My government won't give me any corona bucks. I need that free money for my rap game. Seriously expect higher taxes sliding in like fuel tax and GST/VAT increases. Not even Mugabe can go very long printing money like Mugabe.

2 minutes ago, EChondo said:

Unfortunately most adults over 18 until 22-24 years old have been claimed by their parents as dependents.

So, most of these 18-24 year olds can't claim the stimulus check and their parents won't even get the $500 extra for them because that $500 bonus is for dependents under the age of 18.

So, in theory, this stimulus check benefits families and independent filers the most and hurts college students the most.

Well that sucks balls. I don't even get how that's legal past the age of 21.

How does it hurt college students?

5 minutes ago, Phas3L0ck said:

Well that sucks balls. I don't even get how that's legal past the age of 21.

https://apps.irs.gov/app/vita/content/globalmedia/4491_dependency_exemptions.pdf

Here;

Age;
A full-time student under the age of 24 at the end of the year and younger than the taxpayer (or spouse,
if filing jointly), or

To qualify as a student, the child must be enrolled in the number of hours or courses the school considers full-time during some part of at least five months of the year. See Publication 17 for addi-tional details.

Support;
To meet this test, the child cannot have provided more than half of his or her own support during the tax
year. This test is different from the support test for qualifying relative. A person’s own funds are not support unless they are actually spent for support. If the taxpayer is unsure whether the child provided more than half of his or her own support, review the Worksheet for Determining Support in the Volunteer Resource Guide together

5 minutes ago, Phas3L0ck said:

How does it hurt college students?

Because college students, even though they are supported by their parents, some aren't well off and neither are their families. So the parents get a tax cut because their dependent, who can be 24, is in college full-time. But now the parents don't get $500 for their adult dependent, and the full-time student doesn't qualify for $1200 because their parents already claimed them.

It's a huge mess. Which is why the second stimulus bill in current talks are stating anyone above the age of 16 will get a $2000 check each. Doubt this will pass, but we'll see what happens.

1 minute ago, EChondo said:

https://apps.irs.gov/app/vita/content/globalmedia/4491_dependency_exemptions.pdf

Here;

Because college students, even though they are supported by their parents, some aren't well off and neither are their families. So the parents get a tax cut because their dependent, who can be 24, is in college full-time. But now the parents don't get $500 for their adult dependent, and the full-time student doesn't qualify for $1200 because their parents already claimed them.

It's a huge mess. Which is why the second stimulus bill in current talks are stating anyone above the age of 16 will get a $2000 check each. Doubt this will pass, but we'll see what happens.

In that case I further hope that the second set of checks does pass. For the sake of this country and it's people, I hope we can come to our senses just this once.