980 bottleneck and adobe acceleration

KevinVH90

Hi everybody

I'm a photographer and graphic designer living in Ecuador. I currently have an i5 4460 paired with 8 gb of ddr3 1600 ram without any graphics card.

I just saw a gtx 980 for sale for 70 USD, which is a pretty good steal, but I'm wondering how much I'll benefit from adding this to my system.

The powersupply I have is a Thermaltake TR2 430 watt.

I use Illustrator, photoshop and lightroom, along with the occasional premier pro and after effects. I do not game. Will I see any benefit from adding this videocard to my machine, as in gpu acceleration for any of the adobe suite programs?

And will my PSU be enough for this card, once again, not being used for gaming.

thanks in advance.

5 minutes ago, KevinVH90 said:

The powersupply I have is a Thermaltake TR2 430 watt.

I think this power supply only has one 6 pin PCIe connector, so you can't actually use a 980 with it.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

4 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

I think this power supply only has one 6 pin PCIe connector, so you can't actually use a 980 with it.

damn, I just checked, you're right. There's no way it'll work with just the 6pin?

You would need at least 500-600 power supply regardless of the connector available.

Magical Pineapples

2 minutes ago, KevinVH90 said:

damn, I just checked, you're right. There's no way it'll work with just the 6pin?

No, you'll need to connect all the PCIe pins on the GPU for it to work

2 minutes ago, desertcomputer said:

You would need at least 500-600 power supply regardless of the connector available.

430 watts is technically a suitable amount for this configuration, but without the proper connectors it wouldn't be viable. A Corsair CX450M would be able to get the job done.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

3 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

No, you'll need to connect all the PCIe pins on the GPU for it to work

430 watts is technically a suitable amount for this configuration, but without the proper connectors it wouldn't be viable. A Corsair CX450M would be able to get the job done.

Yeah that is true, but looks at that 12v rail. I personally think a upgrade PSU wouldn't hurt. If it other brands/version maybe.

Magical Pineapples

Just now, desertcomputer said:

Yeah that is true, but looks at that 12v rail. I personally think a upgrade PSU wouldn't hurt. If it other brands/version maybe.

Like I said, without the second 6 pin connector, a PSU upgrade is gonna be required here. Unless OP finds a less demanding GPU like a 1060 3GB.

Primary PC:

I'm in Ecuador, and gpus are stupid expensive here. There's a person leaving the country by next week and she's willing to part with the gtx 980 for just 70 bucks, which is a very good price seeing these still go for around 150-200 usd on ebay from what I can tell. I dont need one perse, and don't have money for a 100 dollar power supply, which is what a new 500-600 watt would cost me here. the thermaltake "munich" version does seem to have an 8 pin connector.

and