Home Cloud Storage System

Hi guys,

I'm relatively new to home networks and cloud storage systems so I have a hard time figuring out what to do and how not to get ripped off but anyway..

I've been meaning to add a home cloud storage system to my network. Basically what I want to do is be able to automatically save and store files onto a server,or whatever works best, that can be accessed by any computer on my network. That way I'm not running out of storage on my desktop or having to constantly use an external HDD to transfer files between my laptop and computer. Also if it's possible I'd like to be able to again automatically save and store files that can be remotely accessed even when I'm not home. I saw the WD My Cloud Home device but I'm open to other ideas.

Thanks guys

8 minutes ago, anthed562 said:

Hi guys,

I'm relatively new to home networks and cloud storage systems so I have a hard time figuring out what to do and how not to get ripped off but anyway..

I've been meaning to add a home cloud storage system to my network. Basically what I want to do is be able to automatically save and store files onto a server,or whatever works best, that can be accessed by any computer on my network. That way I'm not running out of storage on my desktop or having to constantly use an external HDD to transfer files between my laptop and computer. Also if it's possible I'd like to be able to again automatically save and store files that can be remotely accessed even when I'm not home. I saw the WD My Cloud Home device but I'm open to other ideas.

Thanks guys

Synology makes several NAS devices that can do this based on your budget and storage needs.

57 minutes ago, anthed562 said:

Hi guys,

Thanks guys

Assuming you're here because you like to build things out yourself, you can try something like FreeNAS on an old PC. Just plug in a bunch of drives and load it up. Don't worry about doing it wrong, just load it and try it out, then blow it out and rebuilt it. You'll learn a lot about storage and volume management (ZFS), sharing (SAMBA and NFS), snapshots (again ZFS), networks and all kinds of stuff. There's tons of videos on youtube about it, and lots of help available.

In order of ease:

- Plug an external drive into your desktop and share it on the network.

- Some routers have USB ports which you can plug a drive into and access via the network.

- Buy a premade/dedicated NAS like the My Cloud or Synology.

- Build your own NAS.

Accessing it remotely when you're not at home is a bit trickier. The easiest solution is probably a commercial service like My Cloud. If you build or own NAS you can use dynamic DNS services like DynDNS.org to access it remotely.

5 hours ago, anthed562 said:

Hi guys,

Thanks guys

It's time to step up your game! I'd recommend the Storinator XL60 and slap 60 16gb Seagate Eros harddrives in it giving you a cool 1.6 petabyte of storage. Should rung you about 48 grand, but you'll be set for life!

Main Rig CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700x GPU: Asus TUF Gaming RX5700XT MBASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200 CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Master Liquid LC240E SSD: Crucial 250gb M.2 + Crucial 500gb SSD HDD: PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Gran RGB 850W 80+ Gold Case: Corsair Carbide 275R KB: Glorious GMMK 85% MOUSE: Razer Naga Trinity HEADSET: Go XLR with Shure SM7B mic and beyerdynamic DT 990

unRAID Plex Server CPU: Intel i7 6700 GPU: Nvidia Quadro P2000 MB: Asus B150M-C RAM: Crucial Ballistix 32gb DDR4 3000MT/s CPU Cooler: Stock Intel SSD: Western Digital 500GB Red HDD: 4TB Seagate Baracude 3x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf PSU: EVGA BT 80+ Bronze 450W Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO KB: Cheap Logitech KB + Mouse combo

4 minutes ago, Psybadek said:

It's time to step up your game! I'd recommend the Storinator XL60 and slap 60 16gb Seagate Eros harddrives in it giving you a cool 1.6 petabyte of storage. Should rung you about 48 grand, but you'll be set for life!

have you seen how big video files are ha. 6k off a blackmagic camera can eat up 1tb in under 30 mins of record time. even highly compressed 6k will eat through a TB in 2 hours.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

2 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

have you seen how big video files are ha. 6k off a blackmagic camera can eat up 1tb in under 30 mins of record time. even highly compressed 6k will eat through a TB in 2 hours.

You have a point here. We need to quadruple the order lol

Main Rig CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700x GPU: Asus TUF Gaming RX5700XT MBASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200 CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Master Liquid LC240E SSD: Crucial 250gb M.2 + Crucial 500gb SSD HDD: PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Gran RGB 850W 80+ Gold Case: Corsair Carbide 275R KB: Glorious GMMK 85% MOUSE: Razer Naga Trinity HEADSET: Go XLR with Shure SM7B mic and beyerdynamic DT 990

unRAID Plex Server CPU: Intel i7 6700 GPU: Nvidia Quadro P2000 MB: Asus B150M-C RAM: Crucial Ballistix 32gb DDR4 3000MT/s CPU Cooler: Stock Intel SSD: Western Digital 500GB Red HDD: 4TB Seagate Baracude 3x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf PSU: EVGA BT 80+ Bronze 450W Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO KB: Cheap Logitech KB + Mouse combo