i5-3570k temperatures high?

I have an i5-3570k overclocked to 4.0 Ghz at stock voltage, when I'm playing GTA V and other CPU intensive games my CPU gets to around 80-85 °C and would maybe spike up to 90 for a second. 

I would not think anything of this if I was using a stock cooler or something but I am using a 120mm Asetek liquid AIO.

Shouldn't I be getting better temps? Is this safe? My cpu idles around 30-35 °C on the desktop.

120mm AIOs, especially the slim ones, don't perform that great really even compared to half-decent air coolers.

Also, iirc Ivy Bridge weren't soldered like the previous Sandy Bridge chips, and the TIM on them wasn't particularly noteworthy, hence why they ran hotter than the previous gen. It wasn't until either Haswell or Devil's Canyon that they improved the TIM under the IHS.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

It's totally within safe temps, but how long has the cooler been mounted? The thermal paste could be old and dry by now and in need of replacement.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

1 hour ago, BobVonBob said:

It's totally within safe temps, but how long has the cooler been mounted? The thermal paste could be old and dry by now and in need of replacement.

Incorrect. Max safe temp for that chip is 67C.

OP, I would recommend toning down the OC or get a better cooler.

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

5 minutes ago, Statik said:

Incorrect. Max safe temp for that chip is 67C.

OP, I would recommend toning down the OC or get a better cooler.

That's TCASE max not TJUNCTION max which is what the CPU temp sensor reads. TJUNCTION max on the i5-3570K is 105C.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

1 hour ago, BobVonBob said:

That's TCASE max not TJUNCTION max which is what the CPU temp sensor reads. TJUNCTION max on the i5-3570K is 105C.

That information is not correct.

Intel's Thermal Specification (Tcase) for the i5 3570K is 67C, which is CPU temperature, not Core temperature. Core temperature is 5C higher than CPU temperature due to sensor location, so Tcase +5 makes the corresponding Core temperature 72C.

This means that mid-70's are safe operating temperatures.

Throttle temperature is 105C.

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

Intel's core temperature sensors are deliberately located on the hottest spots on the core. These sensors control thermal throttling and they are not activated on the 3rd Gen CPUs until 105°C. The thermal shutdown (THERMTRIP) is actually 25°C beyond that which is 130°C.

The Tcase spec can only be accurately measured by embedding a thermocouple into the top of the IHS. This spec is for system builders, not end users. Intel does not expect end users to hack into the IHS of their new CPU with a Dremel. 

The relationship between Tcase and the peak core temperature is definitely not +5°C. It will vary depending on the cooler being used and the type of software being run. This difference can hit 30°C. The Tcase spec allows system builders to design computers so they do not thermal throttle. If their heatsink can keep the Tcase temp at 67°C then the CPU will rarely if ever need to thermal throttle during normal use.  That is the one and only purpose of the Tcase spec.

5KFXoSf.png

Edit - The good old high temperature testing days. Here is my 3570K running at a peak core temperature of 101°C without a hint of throttling for the Intel CPU or Intel GPU. No need to throttle at that temp. Not hot enough yet.

https://i.imgur.com/qtZ7qWh.png

2 hours ago, BobVonBob said:

I replaced the thermal paste a couple moths ago

2 hours ago, Benjamin Ranaei said:

4.0 Ghz at stock voltage

On most motherboards, the stock voltage is too much. Try running CPU-Z. What voltage does it report when the CPU is loaded? You are better off going into the BIOS and setting a fixed voltage. You might be able to decrease the CPU voltage by -0.1V or more compared to stock voltage. This will make a big difference to your temps.

6 hours ago, unclewebb said:

On most motherboards, the stock voltage is too much. Try running CPU-Z. What voltage does it report when the CPU is loaded? You are better off going into the BIOS and setting a fixed voltage. You might be able to decrease the CPU voltage by -0.1V or more compared to stock voltage. This will make a big difference to your temps.

Underload, the CPU hits 1.224 V