60fps limiting

Ginga_NZ

So yesterday I purchased a 5700xt, I'm planning on getting a 1440p 144hz monitor soon but in the meantime I'm stuck with my 1080p 60hz.

I'm just wondering if in games I limit the framerate to 60fps will I get higher lower average fps.

Also is there any reason to let the fps go higher than the refreshrate of my monitor? 

3 minutes ago, Ginga_NZ said:

So yesterday I purchased a 5700xt, I'm planning on getting a 1440p 144hz monitor soon but in the meantime I'm stuck with my 1080p 60hz.

I'm just wondering if in games I limit the framerate to 60fps will I get higher lower average fps.

No, if you limit your fps you will get lower average fps or the same average.

If you never hit 60fps anyways; the fps average would stay the same

But if you regularly hit, say, 100fps and you now cap your fps at 60fps; the average won't have these 'spikes' to 100fps anyways to up the average.

So if you lower the max, your average will go lower too.

4 minutes ago, Ginga_NZ said:

Also is there any reason to let the fps go higher than the refreshrate of my monitor? 

Better frametimes, since the Hz of your monitor and fps of your game will almost never line up exactly the same

image.png

^when you have more fps than Hz, you have a higher chance of getting a more recent frame than with 'only' 60fps.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

17 minutes ago, minibois said:

No, if you limit your fps you will get lower average fps or the same average.

If you never hit 60fps anyways; the fps average would stay the same

But if you regularly hit, say, 100fps and you now cap your fps at 60fps; the average won't have these 'spikes' to 100fps anyways to up the average.

So if you lower the max, your average will go lower too.

Better frametimes, since the Hz of your monitor and fps of your game will almost never line up exactly the same

image.png

^when you have more fps than Hz, you have a higher chance of getting a more recent frame than with 'only' 60fps.

So there's no reason to limit the fps? Why then is it an option? 

2 minutes ago, Ginga_NZ said:

So there's no reason to limit the fps? Why then is it an option? 

There is reason to limit fps, but it's not to get a higher average fps.

You can choose to limit fps if you fps fluctuates between - for example - 40fps and 100fps. If you have fps that fluctuates so much you will experience feels like stutter. If you limit your fps to 60fps in this case, there is only a 20fps differnence (between 40fps and 60fps).

The average fps may become lower, but your median fps will stay the same; without the high fps jumps. That is about fps consistency.

Another reason to limit fps is to put less stress on your system for background tasks. For example, in CS:GO or Minecraft, most PC's nowadays can easily get over 150fps, but if you want to watch a YouTube video next to it; you may want to limit your fps at a certain point.

So limiting fps is mainly about getting consistency.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 hour ago, minibois said:

not to get a higher average fps.

I was more asking whether my 1% lows would increase rather than the overall average 

3 minutes ago, Ginga_NZ said:

I was more asking whether my 1% lows would increase rather than the overall average 

1% low is basically telling you the average fps of the 1% lowest fps numbers.

So capping your fps to 60 could have an impact on the 1% low, but only if normally in the 1% low fps numbers, there are number above 60.

I find this difficult to explain, because this is probably and insignificant number..

But let's say you normally have 70fps all the time, except for 1% of the time where you have 55fps.

If you now cap your fps at 60, you will have 60fps all the time and the 1% is still 55fps.

So in that scenario, your 1% was not impacted.

But if you normally have 80fps and a 1% of 62fps, if you now cap your fps to 60; the avg and 1% low would both be lower and at 60fps.

Thanks @minibois I  was hoping it'd be like if you were getting average of 75 with dips into high 40s and limited it to 60 then you'd be at a constant 60.

But it's not to be. I'll just wait till next week when I purchase the new monitor and can harness all the frames like a powerful frame God.

I'm a little excited about my first time gaming at high refresh rate