Graphics card upgrade debacle

TJtravel
Go to solution Solved by Oalei,
1 hour ago, TJtravel said:

yeah, i'm just trying to wrap my head around it all. I know the PSU needs to be swapped before I do anything, and I may elect to do it over a few months, PSU, GPU, then mobo/CPU. But I haven't decided yet. What I had (perhaps naively) assumed would be an easy "just go get a new graphics card and power supply" is a bit more in depth now. 

Well I would probably sell cpu mobo ram as a 1 thing along with the psu for a decent price. Well if you have any more questions make a new thread again :D. 

Hi all, bit of a noob when it comes to computers these days (been running iMac and other Apple hardware for years until recently)

I have a smi-custom rig from Ironside computers, and I went with AMD Ryzen 5 3400G. This has served me well for a while, but I have noticed that when doing anything really CPU intensive that also requires a bit of graphics, everything slows down. So, I have decided to get a dedicated graphics card. 

I am torn between the GTX1080ti and the RTX2080ti (for the 11gb VRAM, but I am open to suggestions)

I already know I need a beefier power supply, as I currently only have 600W, and importantly, I only want a single graphics card. 

Currently running 2x8gb RAM (currently 2666 Viper, have ordered Corsair 2x8gb 3200)

I can get both cards for a similar price (within $200), and I assume I should go with 2080ti, but is there something I am missing?

Thanks!

1 - that cpu will botleneck even a Vega 64, the 1600 already does at 1440p 

2 - 1080p rx580, 1440p rx5700xt, 4k 2080ti. All in the midle is waste of money

3 -  if you what to use raytrace 1440p rtx 2080ti

4 - upgrade cpu to 3700x and get a rx5700xt

Get a new gpu em 2 or 3 years.

6 minutes ago, Xkillerpn said:

1 - that cpu will botleneck even a Vega 64, the 1600 already does at 1440p 

I don't really need the full graphics card for the games I am running or the workload at the moment. 

I can only financially justify a new GPU or a new CPU. The most workout the computer gets for gaming is Hearts of Iron IV (late game, CPU heavy) while streaming. and for other "work", massive Excel and Word documents for work. (like thousands of pages in Word, or hundreds of thousands of cells in Excel and a few Access databases).

Which so you think would be better to work on? Everything runs ok right now, except when I am gaming and streaming (usually)

3 minutes ago, Oalei said:

what psu are you currently running? the model.

I'm not actually sure, I want to say RaidMax. I haven't actually looked at it. It isn't easy to get to unfortunately. 

1 minute ago, TJtravel said:

I'm not actually sure, I want to say RaidMax. I haven't actually looked at it. It isn't easy to get to unfortunately. 

well if its questionable maybe change it. But dont forget to give us choices for PSU if youre asking for it too :D

1 minute ago, Oalei said:

well if its questionable maybe change it. But dont forget to give us choices for PSU if youre asking for it too :D

Oh, I have already budgeted for the PSU to be changed hahaha. 

I was actually looking at this power supply:

Corsair RM750x 750 Watt 80 Plus Gold ATX Fully Modular Power Supply

3 minutes ago, TJtravel said:

Oh, I have already budgeted for the PSU to be changed hahaha. 

I was actually looking at this power supply:

Corsair RM750x 750 Watt 80 Plus Gold ATX Fully Modular Power Supply

yeah pretty good and very overkill if you ask my opinion on it. a 2080Ti/1080Ti is around 250W by itself, if you consider like mobo, fan, ssd, hdd, just put it around 60W and the CPU itself let say a 7 3700X (PBO) around i would say 130W thats not gonna exceed 500W so get a 650W to save a bit of money IMHO.

Edited by Oalei
cause i cannot do math

1 minute ago, Oalei said:

yeah pretty good and very overkill if you ask my opinion on it. a 2080Ti/1080Ti is around 250W by itself, if you consider like mobo, fan, ssd, hdd, just put it around 60W and the CPU itself let say a 7 3700X (PBO) around i would say 130W thats not gonna exceed 500W so get a 650W to save a bit of money IMHO.

well, I would like to stay with AMD and keep the mobo for a bit... (AsRock A320 v4) but that power supply is about $130, and I have budgeted for about $150ish for the PSU, and int the $1,000ish range for graphics and anything else thay may arise. 

1 minute ago, boggy77 said:

so why do you want such an extreme gpu if you don't really need it? why not go for a 1660 super or a rx5700?

I don't need it currently, but I am slowly upgrading the computer for possible future needs. A few games I am thinking on could really benefit from the GPU, but I am very much open to suggestions. Would it be better to grab something a little cheaper for now and wait for later on when I actually need it to go with such a beefy card?

I don't need it currently, but I am slowly upgrading the computer for possible future needs. A few games I am thinking on could really benefit from the GPU, but I am very much open to suggestions. Would it be better to grab something a little cheaper for now and wait for later on when I actually need it to go with such a beefy card?

with your budget, I'd get a 3700x, a rx5700xt and a new psu and you'll still have some money left. not sure the motherboard can handle that cpu, though. might have to change mobo as well.

5 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

with your budget, I'd get a 3700x, a rx5700xt and a new psu and you'll still have some money left. not sure the motherboard can handle that cpu, though. might have to change mobo as well.

It looks as if my mobo would handle the 3700x (both have socket AM4.), but the graphics card asks for PCI 4.0, but the motherboard only supports 3.0?

Here is what I am finding for the 5700xt, decent price?

https://www.microcenter.com/product/610807/gigabyte-radeon-rx-5700-xt-gaming-overclocked-triple-fan-8gb-gddr6-pcie-40-graphics-card

yes that's a good model and a good price. this will perform similar to a 22070 super, which is $100 more.

2 minutes ago, TJtravel said:

but the graphics card asks for PCI 4.0, but the motherboard only supports 3.0?

gpu is compatible with both pcie 3 and 4

2 minutes ago, TJtravel said:

It looks as if my mobo would handle the 3700x (both have socket AM4.)

they are both socket am4, but your current mobo is an old generation and also entry level board designed to run 2 and 4 core low power cpus. it isn't capable of delivering the required power a 3700x 8 core cpu needs.

1 minute ago, boggy77 said:

they are both socket am4, but your current mobo is an old generation and also entry level board designed to run 2 and 4 core low power cpus. it isn't capable of delivering the required power a 3700x 8 core cpu needs.

hmm, then what would you suggest for the new mobo then? I don't overclock (wouldn't know where to begin), and I'm not aware of any features I might need other than I do plan to add a few more fans. 

Just now, TJtravel said:

hmm, then what would you suggest for the new mobo then? I don't overclock (wouldn't know where to begin), and I'm not aware of any features I might need other than I do plan to add a few more fans. 

msi b450 gaming plus max, a-pro max, tomahawk max

asus x570 tuf plus

asus x570 prime-p

10 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

msi b450 gaming plus max, a-pro max, tomahawk max

asus x570 tuf plus

asus x570 prime-p

Those seem hard to find haha, lots are out of stock. but it gives me something to think about!

well, I would like to stay with AMD and keep the mobo for a bit... (AsRock A320 v4) but that power supply is about $130, and I have budgeted for about $150ish for the PSU, and int the $1,000ish range for graphics and anything else thay may arise. 

Yeah it's fine I guess. Yeah I would say a 5 3600/7 3700x depending on your need and budget, a 2070 Super (if you Need the cuda cores) /RX5700xt is cheaper, motherboard from msi is a good choice from B450 Pro VDH and upwards, X570's like the other person said is also good.

3 minutes ago, Oalei said:

Yeah it's fine I guess. Yeah I would say a 5 3600/7 3700x depending on your need and budget, a 2070 Super (if you Need the cuda cores) /RX5700xt is cheaper, motherboard from msi is a good choice from B450 Pro VDH and upwards, X570's like the other person said is also good.

yeah, i'm just trying to wrap my head around it all. I know the PSU needs to be swapped before I do anything, and I may elect to do it over a few months, PSU, GPU, then mobo/CPU. But I haven't decided yet. What I had (perhaps naively) assumed would be an easy "just go get a new graphics card and power supply" is a bit more in depth now. 

Well I would probably sell cpu mobo ram as a 1 thing along with the psu for a decent price. Well if you have any more questions make a new thread again :D.