Upgraded to a 3600, now PC shuts off randomly?

larveyhong

I couldn't remember my login for the forum so I've had to make a new user.

Long story short I just upgraded from an i7 4770k to a Ryzen 5 3600, MSI Tomahawk MAX and 16GB 3200MHz RAM. I have installed all the latest drivers and chipset drivers from AMD and MSI, however my PC will just randomly cut out mid game. Its happened in CoD MW, GTA V and Escape from Tarkov. Is this a known issue? Is it to do with power management? I believe I have a 750w PSU. I will list full specs here:

• Ryzen 5 3600 CPU + Stock cooler
  • MSI Tomahawk MAX Motherboard
  • 16GB Patriot Viper 3200MHz RAM
  • Gigabyte RX590 8GB GPU
  • Aerocool 750w Semi-modular PSU
  • Windows 10 Pro, not a clean install but I wiped drive around a week ago prior to upgrade.

I installed CPU, Mobo and RAM a day ago. Help a fellow brother out 馃嵒

How does it shut off? Just dies completely like it had power loss, Or games crash?

5 minutes ago, Blite33 said:

How does it shut off? Just dies completely like it had power loss, Or games crash?

As if someone behind the Pc just yanks it from the wall-kinda power off聽

Some overcurrent protection. Or overheat. Check all radiators, cables etc. Monitor your temperatures.

Ive never heard of an aerocool PSU.聽

Does anyone know the quality of this particular psu?聽

1 minute ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Ive never heard of an aerocool PSU.聽

Does anyone know the quality of this particular psu?聽

I've used some of their parts before with no issues, and used them in past builds. They're 80+ rated.

2 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

Some overcurrent protection. Or overheat. Check all radiators, cables etc. Monitor your temperatures.

Temps are all fine, I was using stock cooler but I do have a watercooler on hand. Completely overkill, but I've seen some people online who have said it may be due to the cooler and how it cools the system. Who knows man.

Just now, larveyhong said:

I've used some of their parts before with no issues, and used them in past builds. They're 80+ rated.

If you have another PSU, Id try that.

How you describe the shut down, Im guessing PSU.聽

Dont want you to spend the money, but for diag, if you have another one to try.... Do so.

1 minute ago, ShrimpBrime said:

If you have another PSU, Id try that.

How you describe the shut down, Im guessing PSU.聽

Dont want you to spend the money, but for diag, if you have another one to try.... Do so.

I dont have another on hand :( If only I still worked at previous job could have grabbed one. Im going to try change the cooler and apply new thermal paste. It only does it under load. If that doesnt work, I will pickup a new PSU. Recommendations?

get 1 one at least from b+ tier聽

Quote me for a reply, React if I聽was helpful, informative, or funny

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 pro聽

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

Seasonic is a good brand.

Shop for a gold rated, would be plenty.

I like their higher tier PSUs. They generally come with a nice warranty good for a decade.

All brands of top mid and low end models. You can look for the PSU tier list. Id link it, but on mobile.聽

Edit ninjaed. See above post :)

4 minutes ago, larveyhong said:

I dont have another on hand :( If only I still worked at previous job could have grabbed one. Im going to try change the cooler and apply new thermal paste. It only does it under load. If that doesnt work, I will pickup a new PSU. Recommendations?

Shut downs happen to protect the processor. 聽I would suggest making sure your cooler is working and monitor temps before rushing out to buy a new power supply.

Are you overclocking?

13 minutes ago, Hilltrot said:

Shut downs happen to protect the processor. 聽I would suggest making sure your cooler is working and monitor temps before rushing out to buy a new power supply.

Are you overclocking?

Not overclocking. I did have to go into the BIOS and adjust my RAM speed as it was boxed as 3200mhz but showing as 2133mhz. Could that be a related issue? I am also just changing thermal paste as I was lazy and didnt take off the pre-applied stuff out the factory.

So thermal paste was changed, wasn't able to swap cooler as I think I've chucked the AM4 bracket away. I ran a Cinebench and around 45/50% of the way through it shuts off. I think its most likely the PSU. I will follow the guide that @Gundar linked.

It was working perfect with the old hardware which is the strangest part. But who knows.. (not me)

Cheers guys. Guess I'll be waiting a bit longer before I play some games!

Well, i guess i'm not the only one... @larveyhong聽Please do update this post if the new psu fixes things!!!!!!!!!!! Please! I'm having the same problem...

Ryzen聽 5 3600
MSI B450 Tomahawk max
16 gb ram
GTX 1060 6GB
Corsair VS650
Win 10 Pro

20 minutes ago, |Spice| said:

Well, i guess i'm not the only one... @larveyhong聽Please do update this post if the new psu fixes things!!!!!!!!!!! Please! I'm having the same problem...

My new PSU comes Saturday. I also wiped my PC clean as most stuff was in a storage pool. Will update with hopefully good news!

Just now, larveyhong said:

My new PSU comes Saturday. I also wiped my PC clean as most stuff was in a storage pool. Will update with hopefully good news!

So tommorow? im mean it's 12:47 AM for me rn...Aight... I'm playing games and just out of nowwhere

A RESTART... LIKE WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY... This is causing me so much frustration... I'm a student and money ain't easy to come by in this current situation... fml

1 minute ago, |Spice| said:

So tommorow? im mean it's 12:47 AM for me rn...Aight... I'm playing games and just out of nowwhere

A RESTART... LIKE WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY... This is causing me so much frustration... I'm a student and money ain't easy to come by in this current situation... fml

Oh no I'm in the UK, so I still got a whole other day ahead of me 馃槈 I do agree though, I rely on my PC to run my side hobby and do my day job. So its annoying that when the PC is under a slight load it just goes "yeah I don't want to do that any more sir" and shuts itself off.

2 minutes ago, larveyhong said:

Oh no I'm in the UK, so I still got a whole other day ahead of me 馃槈 I do agree though, I rely on my PC to run my side hobby and do my day job. So its annoying that when the PC is under a slight load it just goes "yeah I don't want to do that any more sir" and shuts itself off.

I'm 1hour (GMT+1 or 2 dunno) ahead of you so i'll be looking forward to your update! Well if that helps you then it would probably also help me, btw which psu did you buy?

6 hours ago, |Spice| said:

I'm 1hour (GMT+1 or 2 dunno) ahead of you so i'll be looking forward to your update! Well if that helps you then it would probably also help me, btw which psu did you buy?

It aint matter as far as you get a good one

AMD blackout rig

Update: I wiped PC clean and started fresh, it now plays games, Cinebench will finish and not crash?

I did check a couple of things, and I reset my motherboard back to defaults as I did change a setting (not OC related). I also readjusted RAM speed again. Also think it had something to do with the MSI Dragon Centre software and how it was dealing with things, as after I installed it that's when the problems arose.

Edited by larveyhong
poor punctuation

Welp... I cleared CMOS, took out the reset聽SW from the mbo, changed power limits in power edit option. Gotta check if the ram is causing the issue, hope it's not... How do you check if something is wrong with the motherboard聽and what do i look for in the when testing a PSU @Gundar聽 The cpu is not over heating. I'm running the Artic Freezer聽13 cooler, GPU is the 1060 6GB Gigabyte and PSU is Corsair VS650. I don't have another psu on hand...

1 minute ago, |Spice| said:

Welp... I cleared CMOS, took out the reset聽SW from the mbo, changed power limits in power edit option. Gotta check if the ram is causing the issue, hope it's not... How do you check if something is wrong with the motherboard聽and what do i look for in the when testing a PSU @Gundar聽 The cpu is not over heating. I'm running the Artic Freezer聽13 cooler, GPU is the 1060 6GB Gigabyte and PSU is Corsair VS650. I don't have another psu on hand...

just go here and see which catergory your psu falls into hopefully you have at least a b tier

AMD blackout rig