Do I really need that power?

Itachi_Uchiha
Go to solution Solved by Perrin,

Depends on what your other hardware is, you don't need 600 watts to power an RX 5700 however you might need it for the GPU and everything else. You should probably go for it anyway because it'll give you some extra room if you upgrade stuff later down the line.

A RX 5700 recommends 600 w psu's. Do i really need that?

Please help me out and donate to my go fund me to help get parts for a gaming pc. Any amount is useful. Thanks! (dm for link)

Depends on what your other hardware is, you don't need 600 watts to power an RX 5700 however you might need it for the GPU and everything else. You should probably go for it anyway because it'll give you some extra room if you upgrade stuff later down the line.

Just now, Perrin said:

ok

Please help me out and donate to my go fund me to help get parts for a gaming pc. Any amount is useful. Thanks! (dm for link)

1 hour ago, Itachi_Uchiha said:

ok

PSUs lose power overtime, so the most efficient purchase is buying more than you need now. How much more I don't know.

The default power limit on cards appears to be lower than the max you can set. So you can generally run it at like 40% less wattage with a 10% drop in performance.

The biggest problem however is the sudden spikes in wattage. For example if I can pull 250w on one gpu 24/7 no problem. but I couldn't pull 80w with two GPUs, (I tried a with 1060s and rx 580s) probably because they have a spike in power draw. The single GPU works fine the same with both 8 pin connector connections, so it's not that two of them were bad.

With that said you should be safe with even 450w if you don't have a baller cpu.

Could be safe as low as 400w. or even 300W. I'm not sure if the PSU power is the input from the wall or the DC output after the efficiency coeficient. Motherbaords can use as much as 60w. Motherbaord power consumption should become a consumer focus.

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.

3 hours ago, Itachi_Uchiha said:

A RX 5700 recommends 600 w psu's. Do i really need that?

As a reference, the system in my signature, with all peripherals, under synthetic max load power draw, while overclocked as high as it'll go without crashing, still only peaks at 460w at the wall... A 5700 uses less power, so as long as you're not running a 9900K at 5.2GHz or something absurd, you should be fine with a high quality 500w. Make sure you're getting something from Tier B or higher from the PSU Tier List.

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms