Liquid metal application

Hello guys and gals!

Yesterday I have first used Liquid Metal for my Alienware 15 R4 laptop (Overheating and throttling). This was my first time using liquid metal and I am afraid I used too little. The surfaces were both shiny and mirror like (cpu, gpu and coolers). Should I open it back up and see if it was enough or just leave it.

The results are that it doesn't thermal throttle but it still gets into the 90's (99 was the highest during stress testing for the package.) That is what made me wonder if I put enough on.

Thanks in advance!

Did you take any photos of your application? 

When I did my 7700k, took me 3 times lol

if its working better then before leave it.

if it isnt then you might need to reapply

Folding Stats

SYSTEM SPEC

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Motherboard Asus Strix B550i | RAM 32gb 3200 Crucial Ballistix | GPU Nvidia RTX 3070 Founder Edition | Cooling Barrow CPU/PUMP Block, EKWB Vector GPU Block, Corsair 280mm Radiator | Case NZXT H1 | Storage Sabrent Rocket 2tb, Samsung SM951 1tb

PSU NZXT S650 SFX Gold | Display Acer Predator XB271HU | Keyboard Corsair K70 Lux | Mouse Corsair M65 Pro  

Sound Logitech Z560 THX | Operating System Windows 10 Pro

Just now, shaz2sxy said:

Did you take any photos of your application? 

When I did my 7700k, took me 3 times lol

if its working better then before leave it.

if it isnt then you might need to reapply

It's working better for sure. During stress test I could use both CPU and GPU and it wouldn't throttle. Except in the beginning (not a lot and only for a sec). and sometimes randomly 1%. But I think that that is due to the VRM's getting hot.

4 minutes ago, XHD600X said:

-

If it was throttling before and now it is not, I would take that as a victory and leave it. If you put enough so that it it made a mirror finish, then you most probably added enough.

Just keep an eye over your temps are the liquid metal makes it way into the copper, you may have to re-apply a second time in a few weeks/months as your temps get worse again.

1 minute ago, For Science! said:

If it was throttling before and now it is not, I would take that as a victory and leave it. If you put enough so that it it made a mirror finish, then you most probably added enough.

Just keep an eye over your temps are the liquid metal makes it way into the copper, you may have to re-apply a second time in a few weeks/months as your temps get worse again.

Will do. Googled a bit more and apparently it's a common problem with these Alienwares that they are a hot mess. I honestly don't get how Dell could have released this product...