Any good or nah?

AdamG1394

Current basket - I have a patriot 1tb nvme on the way already and I have my other SSD drives already.

Not sure on the motherboard - I know the X570 Tomahawk will be out soon but no idea on when exactly and im impatient lol

Build.PNG

8 minutes ago, Draconid said:

What are you going to be using the PC for? 

Mostly 4K video editing and some gaming (new to PC gaming)

I just want to kind of future proof myself

7 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

go for 2x16gb for ram and a better (not single rail) psu.

Any suggestions on which ones?

You only buying from Scan ? You will save money by using other stores. Is that Ram £215 for 32GB ?

I don’t see any specific problems.  It might not be the absolute most cost efficient thing to do depending on what you want.  X570 and rgb and PSU size are not strictly speaking absolutely required to make the other parts function.  They may be wanted though.  Are you looking to optimize in a particular direction?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 minute ago, lee32uk said:

You only buying from Scan ? You will save money by using other stores. Is that Ram £215 for 32GB ?

Hey dude, I am just putting the components together on Scan then I will shop around etc although I am looking to finance it.

Its £107 for the 16GB kit so I added 2 for 32GB RAM instead

3 minutes ago, AdamG1394 said:

Ok I am going to switch out for the Trident Neo RAM

The TXM is also a single rail isnt it?

yeah sorry I got confused. the GF1 you picked is fine.

13 minutes ago, AdamG1394 said:

Hey dude, I am just putting the components together on Scan then I will shop around etc although I am looking to finance it.

Its £107 for the 16GB kit so I added 2 for 32GB RAM instead

Ah right that changes your options then. You can still look at retailers like CCL, Aria and Overclockers etc as they do finance as well.

9 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

yeah sorry I got confused. the GF1 you picked is fine.

Will there be a big performance difference between 2x16gb or 4x8gb?

16 minutes ago, AdamG1394 said:

As far as I am aware, not as such.  Whether the hardware can handle 16gb sticks or not is a different question.  That needs to be checked. If the 16gb sticks are not or only partially compatible could drastically affect that.  There are a few systems that used quad channel memory and there might be a difference on those depending on how the 16gb sticks are layed out.   So far as I can tell though this is a dual channel system so no notable difference.  Just one stick, there could be though.

UPDATE: derp.  This is an x570 mobo.  There was another similar question about an old ddr3 system I was getting this confused with.  

No.  They will behave the same.  16gb sticks will allow you to get more of them later and increase to 64gb if needed so there is a small argument for them on that basis.  16gb is all that is needed for gaming atm.  Different use cases would be different though.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

18 minutes ago, AdamG1394 said:

ryzen usually finds it more difficult to run 4 sticks at the rated speeds. so with 4x8 you might only get 3200mhz, with 2x16 you should get 3600.

3 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

As far as I am aware, not as such.  Whether the hardware can handle 16gb sticks or not is a different question.  That needs to be checked. If the 16gb sticks are not or only partially compatible could drastically affect that.  There are a few systems that used quad channel memory and there might be a difference on those depending on how the 16gb sticks are layed out.   So far as I can tell though this is a dual channel system so no notable difference.  Just one stick, there could be though.

Yeah all the boards im looking at are dual channel.  Does this mean that I can use 4 x 8GB sticks for 32gb total and not notice much of a difference?

Sorry if this sounds dumb, I have only ever had 2x 8 gb sticks but would love to have full RGB goodness with 4 sticks haha sounds lame I know

1 hour ago, AdamG1394 said:

Yeah all the boards im looking at are dual channel.  Does this mean that I can use 4 x 8GB sticks for 32gb total and not notice much of a difference?

Sorry if this sounds dumb, I have only ever had 2x 8 gb sticks but would love to have full RGB goodness with 4 sticks haha sounds lame I know

You can buy Light enhancement kits for the Corsair RGB Pro Ram. So if you wanted to buy a 2 x 16GB kit then you can add the kit below to populate all 4 slots. Might work out a bit more expensive overall.

https://www.corsair.com/uk/en/Categories/Products/Accessories-|-Parts/PC-Components/Memory/CORSAIR-VENGEANCE-RGB-PRO-Light-Enhancement-Kit/p/CMWLEKIT2