Recommendations for high CPU temps

My current setup since 2016 is:

Case: NZXT H440

Motherboard: Asus Z170-A

CPU: i7-6700K @ 4.01GHz (It somehow automatically overclocked itself)

Fans: 5x be quiet! SilentWings 2 140mm

CPU Cooler: Corsair H110i GTX

Recently temps have been reaching 100C during gaming and idling around 65C. I haven't had much luck on controlling the fans' RPMs due to some connection issues I believe. They have been running on ~1000RPM since I got them.

When idle, the CPU cooler fans run at 1020RPM and the pump at 2010RPM.

So my question is, what do you recommend in terms of fans/coolers to lower the temps?

CPU: Intel i7-6700k - GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW - Motherboard: Asus Z170-A - RAM: Vengeance LPX DDR4 16GB 3000MHz - CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro GTX H110i - PSU: EVGA SUPERNOVA 650W P2 - Case: NZXT H440 White/Black - OS: Windows 10 Home - Mouse: Logitech G502 - Keyboard: Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Red RGB

8 minutes ago, Zack Brown said:

My current setup since 2016 is:

Case: NZXT H440

Motherboard: Asus Z170-A

CPU: i7-6700K @ 4.01GHz (It somehow automatically overclocked itself)

Fans: 5x be quiet! SilentWings 2 140mm

CPU Cooler: Corsair H110i GTX

Recently temps have been reaching 100C during gaming and idling around 65C. I haven't had much luck on controlling the fans' RPMs due to some connection issues I believe. They have been running on ~1000RPM since I got them.

When idle, the CPU cooler fans run at 1020RPM and the pump at 2010RPM.

So my question is, what do you recommend in terms of fans/coolers to lower the temps?

can you access the BIOS? Can you change the fan curve that way? Or not? In which case try to get the CPU back to stock. It could get damaged if it is like that for a while./

please quote me or tag me @wall03 so i can see your response

motherboard buying guide      psu buying guide      pc building guide     privacy guide

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

RAM: 16GB DDR4-3200 CL-16

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.6GHz

SSD: 256GB SP

GPU: Radeon RX 570 8GB OC

Cinebench R23 score: 9097 (multi) 1236 (single)

don't some things look better when they are lowercase?

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

54 minutes ago, Zack Brown said:

Recently temps have been reaching 100C during gaming and idling around 65C.

I assume therefore that this wasn't always the case and significantly better?

If yes

- Confirm pump seems to be working audibly or feel tubes for apparant water flow

- Tip the case back and forth to see if there is a air lock somewhere in the system

- Unmount the AIO and give a good shake to dislodge air bubbles

If no (i.e. there was a chance it was always like this and you didn't notice)

- Remount the AIO with more mounting pressure to make sure there isn't a mounting issue

Also I think this model came with a USB cable and connects to CorsairLink/iCue and so that should give you fluid temperatures which are also useful to have for diagnostic purposes.

9 hours ago, For Science! said:

I assume therefore that this wasn't always the case and significantly better?

If yes

- Confirm pump seems to be working audibly or feel tubes for apparant water flow

- Tip the case back and forth to see if there is a air lock somewhere in the system

- Unmount the AIO and give a good shake to dislodge air bubbles

If no (i.e. there was a chance it was always like this and you didn't notice)

- Remount the AIO with more mounting pressure to make sure there isn't a mounting issue

Also I think this model came with a USB cable and connects to CorsairLink/iCue and so that should give you fluid temperatures which are also useful to have for diagnostic purposes.

I've done all of the above. Reapplied thermal paste, cleaned off all the dust from the fans. I can confirm the pump is working and there is no major change in temps. I think this might be a voltage issue.

CPU: Intel i7-6700k - GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW - Motherboard: Asus Z170-A - RAM: Vengeance LPX DDR4 16GB 3000MHz - CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro GTX H110i - PSU: EVGA SUPERNOVA 650W P2 - Case: NZXT H440 White/Black - OS: Windows 10 Home - Mouse: Logitech G502 - Keyboard: Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Red RGB

16 minutes ago, Zack Brown said:

I've done all of the above. Reapplied thermal paste, cleaned off all the dust from the fans. I can confirm the pump is working and there is no major change in temps. I think this might be a voltage issue.

Voltage of CPU? then yeah sure, that would be the single big difference if you think somehow that changed.

1 minute ago, For Science! said:

Voltage of CPU? then yeah sure, that would be the single big difference if you think somehow that changed.

Core voltage was 1.325V, I reduced it to 1.2V however the temps are still high (this was before I applied the thermal paste). I think there's something in the BIOS I need to do but I'm not sure. Any recommendations?

10 hours ago, wall03 said:

can you access the BIOS? Can you change the fan curve that way? Or not? In which case try to get the CPU back to stock. It could get damaged if it is like that for a while./

I can't control the fan curves even through BIOS. The overclock is literally only 0.01 more so I don't think it'll affect anything...

1 minute ago, Zack Brown said:

Core voltage was 1.325V, I reduced it to 1.2V however the temps are still high (this was before I applied the thermal paste). I think there's something in the BIOS I need to do but I'm not sure. Any recommendations?

Were you OCed before? If you are unsure you can do a CMOS reset and see if resetting the BIOS settings gets you back to before.

1 hour ago, For Science! said:

Were you OCed before? If you are unsure you can do a CMOS reset and see if resetting the BIOS settings gets you back to before.

I did that, core voltage was set to 1.28V. I lowered it down to 1.2V, that didn't work and other voltage values were changed for some reason. I tried to change it to 1.2V again, it worked but the other values remained the same (higher than usual). I then changed the other values (such as DRAM Voltage, Standby Voltage, etc) to their standard ones as listed in the BIOS. I got a black screen, rebooted and it put me on POST. This time, the core voltage was changed to 1.28V, while all other values remained the same (standard ones that I put). I tried changing it to 1.2V again but I got another black screen. Ideas?