help with my home network

Rubberduckeh

I have an asus ac1900 router connected to a tp link (TL-SG1024S) switch via a patch panel. When i connected my pc to the switch's port via a wall jack that connects to the patch panel, I was only getting 100mbps down. The whole house is wired in Cat 6. I looked into asus's router web GUI, and saw that the port connecting to switch was limited to 100mbps, is there a way to change that port to 1Gbp? The ports on the router itself supports up to 1 Gbps. Ive changed my pc's network setting to 1Gbp, full duplex but that didnt seem to do change the speeds I was getting. I'm thinking it might be the switch?

7 hours ago, Rubberduckeh said:

I have an asus ac1900 router connected to a tp link (TL-SG1024S) switch via a patch panel. When i connected my pc to the switch's port via a wall jack that connects to the patch panel, I was only getting 100mbps down. The whole house is wired in Cat 6. I looked into asus's router web GUI, and saw that the port connecting to switch was limited to 100mbps, is there a way to change that port to 1Gbp? The ports on the router itself supports up to 1 Gbps. Ive changed my pc's network setting to 1Gbp, full duplex but that didnt seem to do change the speeds I was getting. I'm thinking it might be the switch?

Try a different cable from the router to the switch?  Try a different port on the switch?

For a home network I see no reason to use a patch panel, its just another potential point of failure.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

Since your switch and router both support gigabit ethernet on the LAN ports, your next step is to check the wiring between the router/switch/patch-panel/client. One of the ethernet cables between could be CAT5 or lower, or there might be an internal fault with the cabling or connections themselves.

I agree with a patch panel not being necessary for home use. You already have a 24-port gigabit switch; just plug all ethernet cables into that [bypassing the patch panel] and connect the switch to the router.

the cabling between the router and the switch is cat5e, my pc connecting to the switch is all cat 6, and the connection between the modem and the router is also cat6. The light on the switch that indicates whether a port is running 1gigbit is on, but only for the one my pc is connected to. I connected my pc directly to the router, and im getting speeds higher than 100mbps, is the problem the switch then?  I moved the ports around on the switch and it didnt change anything and i confirmed that all the patch panel cables work. could it also be that I wired a cat 5e cable the same way I wired the cat 6 cables on the patch panel?

*edit*: I should provide more information. My internet is around 100-200 down and 5-10 up on a good day. I have just moved in and the internet is super inconsistent, the download can drop to 50 and the upload can be non-existent. When they came to open the line they split the line coming into the house with the tenants upstairs with a splitter, instead of of a new cable.

33 minutes ago, Rubberduckeh said:

the cabling between the router and the switch is cat5e, my pc connecting to the switch is all cat 6, and the connection between the modem and the router is also cat6. The light on the switch that indicates whether a port is running 1gigbit is on, but only for the one my pc is connected to. I think I've narrowed the problem down to either the port on the router or maybe the cabling between the modem and the router.

*edit*: I should provide more information. My internet is around 100-200 down and 5-10 up on a good day. I have just moved in and the internet is super inconsistent, the download can drop to 50 and the upload can be non-existent. When they came to open the line they split the line coming into the house with the tenants upstairs with a splitter, instead of of a new cable.

Let’s clarify something: The speed of internet access for all clients using your home network will be limited by the connection speed that you’re paying for from your ISP, so even if you have gigabit ethernet within your LAN, WAN access won’t be at gigabit speeds.

If the Asus router (assuming this is the RT-AC1900) is reporting that the link speed to the switch is only 100Mbps, then try changing that cable to either another CAT5e or CAT6 cable. I’d go for a pre-made CAT6 cable because it has more shielding and is less likely to be defective. I hope your cable lengths are not greater than 100m because, if they are, gigabit speeds cannot be guaranteed.

BTW, did you crimp and install these cables yourself? Can you say if the cables were properly installed so as to avoid damage, interference, or signficant bending?

And as suggested before, bypass the patch panel altogether as a fault there only adds another point of problems/failures.

I wouldnt say anything is done professionally, all the crimping is done by me, but I made sure that I can see the end of the cables in the plastic housing before crimping, and if there were any nicks wen i was stripping the cable i would just cut that part off.The patch panel cables though are store bought. Before installing internet, i pinged every port with a spare router i had and all the ports around the house were able to ping the router through the switch. I can only swap the cable between the router and the wall plate that goes down to the switch. Ill add edit this if i find anything. And yes I understand that ill only get the speeds I pay for.

edit: thnxs for helping, solved the issue. It was the cable connecting the router to the wall jack. I found a insignia cable that I bought from best buy a while ago and replaced the one I crimped.

17 minutes ago, Rubberduckeh said:

I wouldnt say anything is done professionally, all the crimping is done by me, but I made sure that I can see the end of the cables in the plastic housing before crimping, and if there were any nicks wen i was stripping the cable i would just cut that part off.The patch panel cables though are store bought. Before installing internet, i pinged every port with a spare router i had and all the ports around the house were able to ping the router through the switch. I can only swap the cable between the router and the wall plate that goes down to the switch. Ill add edit this if i find anything. And yes I understand that ill only get the speeds I pay for.

edit: thnxs for helping, solved the issue. It was the cable connecting the router to the wall jack. I found a insignia cable that I bought from best buy a while ago and replaced the one I crimped.

Excellent!

As one who has gone the DIY route before, there’s always that one little bad crimp or bent cable that messes up the entire operation. That’s why I tend to save myself the hassle and buy pre-made lengths that I need.

Also, a ping signal confirms a link, not the speed of the cable.