Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Need Router Suggestions

Khoomn

Alright so im looking to buy a new router, my current router/modem is the default xfinity one. I know i can turn bridge mode on my xfinity xfi box to allow a seperate router. I need one that is a decent price, nothing over like 200 usd or something like that, can do gigabit and my most important feature I need is the ability to change the mac address / ip address in some way whenever I need to. Public ip that is, not private ip.

Maybe someone else can recommend a router but for the IP address, the ISP assigns one to you, you can't chose what public IP you have. You can pay extra with some ISPs for a static address, but afaik you still can't choose what address it is and you would have to contact the ISP to request a different one. For MAC address, most routers should allow you to change it in the router settings. 

7 minutes ago, The_russian said:

Maybe someone else can recommend a router but for the IP address, the ISP assigns one to you, you can't chose what public IP you have. You can pay extra with some ISPs for a static address, but afaik you still can't choose what address it is and you would have to contact the ISP to request a different one. For MAC address, most routers should allow you to change it in the router settings. 

I know if i get a router it would change my public ip and im able to change it whenever i want with some routers. Thats why I turn on bridge mode with my xfinity xfi, it uses the modum on it but not the router, the router gives me my ip so i would be able to change it.

13 hours ago, Khoomn said:

Alright so im looking to buy a new router, my current router/modem is the default xfinity one. I know i can turn bridge mode on my xfinity xfi box to allow a seperate router. I need one that is a decent price, nothing over like 200 usd or something like that, can do gigabit and my most important feature I need is the ability to change the mac address / ip address in some way whenever I need to. Public ip that is, not private ip.

A dynamic WAN IP can change if the MAC address for the primary device connecting to the modem/gateway changes as well.

If you just want the ability to do MAC address cloning, almost all modern routers will allow you to do that, although it’s becoming less common on the cheaper models.

But why don’t you approach your ISP and ask them to force a new dynamic IP address? That will cost $0 for a simple fix. I’m sure they won’t have a problem doing so especially if you were a victim of a DDoS attack or similar; your ISP wouldn’t want their own network to be affected.