How to use a router as an AP.

Hello guys,

I would like to improve the coverage and strength of my Wi-Fi signal around my house by adding an AP .The problem is that due to the business/enterprise oriented purpose of these devices paired with the fact that they are usually bought in large quantities , the price for a single unit dedicated device  is a little too much for my wallet right now. Repeaters won't do it for me, drop outs, latency and lack of strength all things I try to avoid.

Browsing the internet I found out that you can use another router running as an AP so I went back to looking for routers since they are cheaper but I couldn't find one whose specs said it can run as an AP.

My question to you is:

Is running a router as an AP a general feature that all routers have so the manufacturer didn't bother to write it in the spec sheet? or is it really rare that a router can do this? I checked my router's settings but couldn't find anything resembling AP settings.

Is this that can be configured in software or is the AP functionality hardware dependent. What should i look for in a router to make sure it can run as an AP? 

I do not live in NA and my options in terms of brands and models are limited so I would be very thankful if you could teach me how to look for a router that can do an AP's job.

What router do you have?

The Asus UX305 has an Almighty Intel core M-5Y10 0.8GHZ, GPU Intel HD 5300 Windforce, SDD 120GB, Passively Cooled, 1920x1080 Matte Screen, An Fantastic ICEpower Audio Making my House Shake and Having more ports then a MacBook btw this not an advertisement.

If your old router doesn't have AP support, you could possibly flash a custom firmware that might enable AP mode.

The Asus UX305 has an Almighty Intel core M-5Y10 0.8GHZ, GPU Intel HD 5300 Windforce, SDD 120GB, Passively Cooled, 1920x1080 Matte Screen, An Fantastic ICEpower Audio Making my House Shake and Having more ports then a MacBook btw this not an advertisement.

Login into the router and go onto advance mode and click on operational mode and there you will see the option for access point mode.

If there isn't the option for that mode then you can make the router a Access point mode only but disabling DHCP as that would be the job of the other router on your network. Follow these instructions https://gist.github.com/rosswd/15d8e9d53213bb6d69565e2ca0fd3f95

There is no operational mode section unfortunately. I've seen something on the web about that but my interface does not look the same. 

How does your interface look like:

Option A

pk-GWiF2X7UkrgMw0zZlQ2iFTQfvhialkg.png?1492638551

Option B

TP-Link_Archer_C3150.png?1473874933

You will need to disable DHCP on that router and then plug the router into the other router and make sure both port you plugging into are LAN ports. 

You need to also change SSID names and passwords to match the main provider Change the default user and password in Advanced > System Tools > Password