Do Noctua NF-A12x15 fan blades stick out of the fan's frame?

SHDBuilder
Go to solution Solved by SHDBuilder,

Since no one was able to help me figure this out, I decided to order the fan and learn the hard way. Luckily, Noctua NF-A12x15 does NOT have fan blades sticking out of the fan's frame (at least my sample doesn't, I don't know if it can vary slightly from sample to sample). It solved the issues I had before (see my original message).

Off topic: Surprisingly, it actually performed slightly better at cooling than ID-Cooling 12015 that I originally used. -2°C CPU temp, which is weird since the latter creates more static pressure (2.57 > 1.35mm H2O), which supposedly is better for heatsinks. Again, maybe due to the issues I had it didn't perform up to the spec, I should have concluded the test on the open bench without the case cover before and after...

Anyways, hope this will help others in similar situation.

Hello.

I bought Fractal Design Node 202 case and installed Big Shuriken 2 rev. B cpu cooler in it. I did some research and concluded that I can replace the default shuriken's 12mm-tall fan with some other 15mm-tall fan. I decided to go with ID-Cooling NO-12015 because it creates more static pressure than others. However, after I did the replacement and tried to boot the system, the CPU fan failed to spin in a closed case (and the corresponding message was shown in POST).

I found that apparently ID-Cooling's fan blades are sticking out of the fan's frame just a little, and they were stuck trying to push against the dust filter when I powered the system on (let me know if you need some illustrations to make this part clearer).

Now I need to find an alternative 15mm fan that won't have that issue. Noctua NF-A12x15 is quite popular. Although it doesn't create as much static pressure and is way more expensive, I was unable to find anything more efficient.

If anyone here has Noctua NF-A12x15, you can help me and emulate this case by positioning it against the flat surface (like table) intake down and trying to spin the fan blades manually. If you're unable to spin it by just blowing the air on it, then it has the same issue.

Thanks in advance.

Why not just create a small gap? You could make your own gasket with cardboard or rubber, or even just use a washer at each corner.

If you're interested in a product please download and read the manual first.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

11 minutes ago, keskparane said:

Why not just create a small gap? You could make your own gasket with cardboard or rubber, or even just use a washer at each corner.

I actually did. I used the rubber feet that came with the fan and sticked it to the fan's frame to create an extra space needed. The problem is that over time fan blades start to hit the dust filter's frame (I am guessing due to vibrations). In fact this always happens when I move the case over to a new place. I have to remove the case cover to fix it.

Well then if it works for a while I would say the problem isn't the fan at all, rather the filter. 

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

6 minutes ago, keskparane said:

Well then if it works for a while I would say the problem isn't the fan at all, rather the filter. 

Doesn't make sense to me.

2 hours ago, SHDBuilder said:

Doesn't make sense to me.

2 hours ago, SHDBuilder said:

....The problem is that over time fan blades start to hit the dust filter's frame (I am guessing due to vibrations)....

This implied to me that it doesn't always happen and I would think the filter would be far more likely to flex than the fan. 

you mean like the way it's positionned there but on a table or the opposite of that ?

20200311_104429.thumb.jpg.6ba7f1e14809c9f72f0b03a7cb96aef3.jpg

I9 10850K

EVGA RTX 3080 TI FTW3 ULTRA

32 Gb Crucial Balistix ddr4 3600mHz 16-18-18-38

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

Fractal Design Ion+ 860W platinum

Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 360mm

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

TeamGroup L5 3D Lite 1 Tb sata SSD

@Dr0y

Unmount the fan from the heatsink and put it so it would look to you like this (see pic), then try to spin it by blowing the air on the fan blades (make sure to put the fan frame tightly against the table):

noctua_against_the_table.png

The dust filter needs to be removed. If you still want a filter, use an external one. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

8 hours ago, keskparane said:

This implied to me that it doesn't always happen and I would think the filter would be far more likely to flex than the fan. 

Here's the dust filter we're talking about:

spacer.png

It has the frame. When mounted back into the case, the frame appears on the inside of the case. After I mounted ID-Cooling fan on the heatsink for the first time, the fan blades were stuck against that dust filter's frame. One of the ways to fix it is to create the gap by putting something on the fan's frame.

Here's ID-Cooling fan:

spacer.png

It has special dedicated spots for the rubber feet. However, some of these spots don't align with the dust filter's frame (roughly illustrated that in the pic below - red lines are the dust filter's frame):

So I had to use rubber feet unconventionally to make it work. My guess is that because of this and due to vibrations in the case, over time these feet slowly move over the fan's plastic frame surface. It's a matter of time that fan blades will start hitting the either the dust filter's frame or the rubber feet that moved closer to the fan blades.

id-cooling_12015_node202_dust_filter_frame.png

11 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

The dust filter needs to be removed. If you still want a filter, use an external one. 

I don't want to remove the dust filter for the obvious reasons. I'd rather put 12mm fan... as a last resort. This build is supposed to be portable (in the backpack), so I'm not sure how to go about the external dust filter.

2 minutes ago, SHDBuilder said:

I don't want to remove the dust filter for the obvious reasons. I'd rather put 12mm fan... as a last resort. This build is supposed to be portable (in the backpack), so I'm not sure how to go about the external dust filter.

Have you looked at magnetic dust filters? It might slip a bit during travel but is easy to move back into place. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

1 hour ago, WoodenMarker said:

Have you looked at magnetic dust filters? It might slip a bit during travel but is easy to move back into place. 

That's in case it won't fall off completely (e.g. upon getting computer from the backpack), and if it would it can go completely unnoticed.

As for dust filters on the screws, not sure if there's enough clearance for the screws inside the case until the fan.

Also, I was planning to buy 120mm fan in GPU chamber anyways, so I can just put that ID-Cooling fan in GPU chamber and buy a new fan for CPU cooler and use the internal dust filter that came with the Node 202, rather than buying fan (which I need to anyways) and external dust filter.

• 2 weeks later...

Since no one was able to help me figure this out, I decided to order the fan and learn the hard way. Luckily, Noctua NF-A12x15 does NOT have fan blades sticking out of the fan's frame (at least my sample doesn't, I don't know if it can vary slightly from sample to sample). It solved the issues I had before (see my original message).

Off topic: Surprisingly, it actually performed slightly better at cooling than ID-Cooling 12015 that I originally used. -2°C CPU temp, which is weird since the latter creates more static pressure (2.57 > 1.35mm H2O), which supposedly is better for heatsinks. Again, maybe due to the issues I had it didn't perform up to the spec, I should have concluded the test on the open bench without the case cover before and after...

Anyways, hope this will help others in similar situation.

Sorry if I didn't reply sooner, work stuff and such ... well you're lucky it works with your cause it wouldn't work with the one I have here.  As you said it might vary from fan to fan. 

I9 10850K

EVGA RTX 3080 TI FTW3 ULTRA

32 Gb Crucial Balistix ddr4 3600mHz 16-18-18-38

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

Fractal Design Ion+ 860W platinum

Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 360mm

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

TeamGroup L5 3D Lite 1 Tb sata SSD