CPU hitting 100°C under load

My i7 8700K keeps hitting 100°C under full load while idling at 40°C. Cooler is beQuiet dark rock pro 3. I've reinstalled the cooler multiple times, thermal paste coverage looked good each time but the temps just wont go down. This is without any overclock. Is there any other reason except a mistake in mounting that could cause this (Because I like to think that I didnt screw up mounting that cooler 3 f*cking times)?

What case are you using and its fans configuration?

Main Rig :

Ryzen 7 2700X | Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8 GB | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 | 16 GB TeamGroup Elite 2400MHz | Samsung 750 EVO 240 GB | HGST 7200 RPM 1 TB | Seasonic M12II EVO | CoolerMaster Q300L | Dell U2518D | Dell P2217H | 

Laptop :

Thinkpad X230 | i5 3320M | 8 GB DDR3 | V-Gen 128 GB SSD |

6 hours ago, fritzifu said:

My i7 8700K keeps hitting 100°C under full load while idling at 40°C. Cooler is beQuiet dark rock pro 3. I've reinstalled the cooler multiple times, thermal paste coverage looked good each time but the temps just wont go down. This is without any overclock. Is there any other reason except a mistake in mounting that could cause this (Because I like to think that I didnt screw up mounting that cooler 3 f*cking times)?

How was it running before? 
did you get this used?

is it overclocked?

8700k is known to have bad thermal material under the heat spreader.

Mounting is not issue, you would have higher low-load temps if it was. What kind of load and voltages? Have you tried disabling MCE?

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

What motherboard are you using? Are you using default settings? What's the core voltage at when under load?

You mentioned this is without oc'ing. Are you manually setting stock clocks?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.