fake micro SD card

frozensun

Well I was a victim of a scam.

Bought one,and sadly capacity is not 256 GB,it's around 64 GB.

Watched the video on yt guy said those are flashed FW that show capacity of 256 GB.

I did test with sofware and here is what I got:

Warning: Only 255989 of 255990 MByte tested.
The media is likely to be defective.
14.6 GByte OK (30653239 sectors)
216.2 GByte DATA LOST (453606601 sectors)
Details:0 KByte overwritten (0 sectors)
0 KByte slightly changed (< 8 bit/sector, 0 sectors)
216.2 GByte corrupted (453606601 sectors)
0 KByte aliased memory (0 sectors)
First error at offset: 0x00000003a7766e00
Expected: 0x00000003a7766e00
Found: 0x4495bacde830907b
H2testw version 1.3
I did manage to copy around 60 gigs of music.

So my question can I use this card as storage media (I'd keep a copy of files) or just throw it in garbage?

huawei.jpg

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

Thanks for understanding.

If it's saying that 14.6GB are okay and the rest is not, wouldn't it be a 16GB card? Seems like it was "able" to copy that music just by simply overwriting whatever went above some certain limit.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

1 minute ago, handymanshandle said:

If it's saying that 14.6GB are okay and the rest is not, wouldn't it be a 16GB card? Seems like it was "able" to copy that music just by simply overwriting whatever went above some certain limit.

So I can use this card as 16 GB storage?

I think I read somewhere that these cards can even damage phone,tablet whatever...

But how did I manage to copy around 60 gigs of music then if it's 14.6 GB available?

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

You can partition a safe amount of storage on the drive and leave the rest unallocated. Should be more or less safe to use, but I wouldn’t put  any important data on it.

CPU: Intel core i7-8086K Case: CORSAIR Crystal 570X RGB CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB Storage: Samsung 980 Pro - 2TB NVMe SSD PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ GOLD 1000W, Semi Modular GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 GAMING X 8G RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200mhz Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming

3 minutes ago, frozensun said:

So I can use this card as 16 GB storage?

I think I read somewhere that these cards can even damage phone,tablet whatever...

But how did I manage to copy around 60 gigs of music then if it's 14.6 GB available?

Windows doesn't really think about the capacity of a card and if it's actually valid unless it legitimately can't write to the card. Doesn't matter if it's writing over data, so long as it can write to it. 

Maybe you could safely use it, but even still, just get a legitimate 16GB MicroSD card. Can't be more than like 15 Euros.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Wait guys,can I copy 64 gigs of data on it like I did (but didn't tested it,if it worked),I saw that this card had around 60 gb of space occupied or this is only 16 gigs card?

Why do you want to keep it so bad? Legitimate sd cards are so cheap anymore.  You can get a real 256 gb card for around 40 dollars.

I have a couple of these I tried out. They will only hold around 16 gb, and will overwrite the data to an extent. When you go to access the music it's going to be a crapshoot as to what is actually on there. Some songs might work, others may show a title and be corrupted. 

If you could copy 60GB of data then most of it is likely corrupted.

Just trash this piece of junk right now.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

The card is most likely a 16 GB card, which means after format and everything you have around 15.5 GB of usable space.

When you copy stuff to the card and the operating system tries to put it above that 16 GB area, the controller on the card simply substracts 16 GB once or several times until the final value is under 16 GB or something like that.

So for example, if the OS says put this mp3 file at the offset 20 GB on the SD card, the controller does 20 GB - 16 GB = 4 GB and puts data there. Whatever was there at 4 GB on the SD card is overwritten.

If you put just mp3 or aac or some other music files, chances are the old files that were overwritten wwith new data would still play, because music players are designed like that to be error resilient and music formats are designed with recovery points, from where a music player can resume playing. So your Metallica mp3  may actually contain the middle part of an Eminem song ... the music player would just throw away a few KB of data that it considered junk until a recovery point is found in the file and then keeps playing what it finds in the file.

If you check some of the latest audio files you uploaded, those would obviously be correctly written and matched with the file names so they'll work.

If you want to continue to use, probably the safest for you would be to make a 14-15 GB partition and format it as exfat or ntfs or fat32 (tho fat32 has max 4gb per file limit, you'll get errors copying files bigger than 4gb) and leave the rest of the fake space unused, empty.

The media is likely to be defective.
14.6 GByte OK (30653239 sectors)

Your single partition on the sd card should be UNDER this amount ... less than so many sectors

1 sector is 512 bytes, so 512 x 30653239 = 15,694,458,368 bytes = 14,967 KiB

First error at offset: 0x00000003a7766e00

0x00000003a7766e00 = 15,694,458,368  ... so yeah, same amount i estimated... make your partition at most this number - 512 bytes.

I would make it 14900 MB = 14900 x 1024x1024 = 15,623,782,400 bytes

So make a 14..14.9 GB partition ... use disk manager or maybe use command line DISKPART in Windows ... type HELP in command line to learn how to use it (simple commands like LIST DISK to get the id of your card, CREATE to create partitions etc)

Ok guys,then I suppose I was victim of scam,damn it was suspicious after all...

I won't use it,not worth it...

Thanks...

Even if you partition the card at 16GB or thereabouts, there's no guarantee that controller won't just "write" data to the remaining 240GB of empty space. 

Throw it in the trash and make a dispute on ebay or where ever did you buy it.

+°´°+,¸¸,+°´°~ Glorious PC master gaming race :wub: ~°´°+,¸¸,+°´°+
BigBox: Asus P8Z77-V, 3570k, 8GB Ram, Intel 180GB & Sammy 750GB, HD4000, W7
PiBox: Rasberry Pi, BCM @ 1225Mhz ^_^ , 256MB Ram, 16GB Storage, pIO, Raspbian