Every tool shows memory as half the speed

Go to solution Solved by minibois,
1 minute ago, Niami said:

Every tool I have (CPUZ, HWINFO, task manager, ryzen master) shows my memory as 1500MHz instead of 3000MHz. I know task manager is innacurate most of the time but even the more advanced tools show it as 1500MHz and was wondering if that's correct.

Long story short: your memory is running at the 3000Mhz, if CPU-Z/Task Manager/whatever shows 1500Mhz.

Long story a bit less short:

Your memory runs at 1500Mhz, which is (millions) of ticks per second. Per tick it can do two transfers (which is why it is called DDR = Double Data Rate), so it is running at 3000MT/s (millions of transfers per second). Manufacturers of memory/motherboards call this 'MT/s' unit 'Mhz', thus they (manufacturers) sell it as 3000Mhz.

CPU-Z reads it out the right way, thus 1500Mhz.

Every tool I have (CPUZ, HWINFO, task manager, ryzen master) shows my memory as 1500MHz instead of 3000MHz. I know task manager is innacurate most of the time but even the more advanced tools show it as 1500MHz and was wondering if that's correct.

DDR(4, in this case) means double data rate.

2 x 1500 = 3000MHz

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Long story short: your memory is running at the 3000Mhz, if CPU-Z/Task Manager/whatever shows 1500Mhz.

Your memory runs at 1500Mhz, which is (millions) of ticks per second. Per tick it can do two transfers (which is why it is called DDR = Double Data Rate), so it is running at 3000MT/s (millions of transfers per second). Manufacturers of memory/motherboards call this 'MT/s' unit 'Mhz', thus they (manufacturers) sell it as 3000Mhz.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

That is in fact correct. The tools show the physical frequency the sticks run at. The data rate however is double the physical frequency because the data transfer is triggered with every up and every down of the frequency. That's why it's called DDR (Double Data Rate)

now that you've verified its running at the advertised speeds, time to overclock!

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

2 minutes ago, minibois said:

Thanks for confirming, I was sure atleast one of these tools showed the doubled speed at sometime and was confused.

Just now, Mister Woof said:

now that you've verified its running at the advertised speeds, time to overclock!

It's already overclocked from 2666 :D. I was sure that one of the tools I mentioned showed the doubled speed at sometime while I was overclocking and was a bit confused when I was looking through HWInfo recently.

Thanks for confirming, I was sure atleast one of these tools showed the doubled speed at sometime and was confused.

If I remember correctly, Windows Task Manager used to show the MT/s as Mhz (so 'incorrect' 3000Mhz instead of 1500Mhz). But I am not sure about that.

Although Windows has been known to show incorrect units of measurement (*cough* GB vs GiB *cough*)

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/