Nas for media centre

hi I'm looking to build or buy a nas for purely a media centre, sick and tired of being the families video store.  I was considering building a its system and using external drive cage or have been offered a Hp elitedesk  with a i7 6700, 8gb ram and 256gb ssd for $250aud. I'd preferably like new gear.  Wanted to have it in the lounge room connected to a TV so can surf the Web and what not. I think a standard nas wouldn't cut it. Most likely with have a max of 4 users, 2 in the house and maybe  1 or 2 external. Also mainly 1080p. My biggest concern with buying second hand is being a pre built is if say the motherboard or psu die your stuffed, also 6th and 7th gen stuff is harder to find or people want stupid prices. 

10 minutes ago, NZgamer said:

So you want a like an HTPC that's also a media server? Just install a Linux distribution (windows won't work) and install Plex to run in the background pointing to the directory in the computer with your movies and tv shows. That way people can still browse the web and use it while it's a media server in the background

why wouldn't windows work? Windows can run plex, a file share, and play media.

1 hour ago, NZgamer said:

So you want a like an HTPC that's also a media server? Just install a Linux distribution (windows won't work) and install Plex to run in the background pointing to the directory in the computer with your movies and tv shows. That way people can still browse the web and use it while it's a media server in the background

Yeah pretty much. I've had no experience with Linux. Was hoping you could do it on windows

1 hour ago, NZgamer said:

Oh wow, this must be new, last time I was checking out Plex it only had a Linux option

OK cool. How about hardware options? If I don't get the second hand hp. I was thinking a amd 3200g, or an I3 intel. Was considering a low powered CPU like a 8500t but are to pricey 

4 minutes ago, Gottboost said:

OK cool. How about hardware options? If I don't get the second hand hp. I was thinking a amd 3200g, or an I3 intel. Was considering a low powered CPU like a 8500t but are to pricey 

Don't bother with the low power cpus, they use about the same amount of power at idle, and thats what your running most of your time at.

Id probably go with the 3200g or the althon 3000g

25 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Don't bother with the low power cpus, they use about the same amount of power at idle, and thats what your running most of your time at.

Id probably go with the 3200g or the althon 3000g

No worries. Just priced up a Intel and amd CPU and itx board, i3 9100 combo is $70 less than the amd. Was going to use that case for now and put 2 hdds where the gpu goes

images (21).jpeg