Choosing a laptop

Ok so I know there are a lot of topics like this and I've read through quite a few but I'm mostly just looking for opinions. I know the drawbacks of a laptop vs a desktop and I've built my fair share of desktops. If I had my choice I would get a desktop but with the way things are right now and the fact that I may be moving in the near future, a laptop is just easier. I currently use an MSI GE62 6QF Apache Pro and it's on its last legs. With everyone getting this stimulus check or whatever I was window shopping in the 1000-1200 dollar range for amusement purposes and came across a few that looked interesting but naturally they all have their pros and cons. Also if anyone has any recommendations for a 1000-1200 dollar desktop build that can top these that INCLUDES a monitor, I'm all ears and can be persuaded to wait maybe. 

Anyways these are the three options I've come across so far. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YM938TP/ref=as_li_qf_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=mylaptopguide-20&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B07YM938TP&linkId=6c6b03c359af4e8cae10d738737842c9&th=1

The helios 300 was the first one that everyone rages about that I've seen. The specs are really good for the price and most people agree, but the biggest complaints seem to be the flimsy screen/backlight bleed and the jet engine fans. I'm not unused to loud fans but everyone seems to repeat this over and over and I don't know if it's worse than what I have or if people are just used to gentle breaths of air. As for the backlight bleed, I can handle that to an extent but it would be annoying if playing darker games I'd imagine. I would also need to upgrade the storage

https://www.amazon.com/MSI-GL65-Gaming-i7-9750H-GTX1660Ti/dp/B08151ZHHS/ref=sr_1_10?dchild=1&keywords=MSI+GE+Series+GE65+Raider&qid=1587596542&sr=8-10

The MSI GL65 was the next one I looked at as I think it was recommended on this forum somewhere for someone asking a similar question. It honestly seems a lot like my current laptop just a bit more recent. Decent specs. Some complaints are the weird keyboard layout which would be a minimal issue for me since it's the same keyboard I use right now pretty much. Also needs more storage

https://www.amazon.com/MSI-Gaming-Laptop-i7-9750H-Aluminum/dp/B07Z5KP1Y1/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=msi+gf75&qid=1587596762&sr=8-6

The MSI GF75 was the last one that I so far have encountered that have caught my eye. As to be expected, it's going to be similar to my current laptop again as MSI doesn't change a whole lot aesthetic wise, but the biggest selling point for me here is the 17 inch screen. I currently am using a 17 inch screen so I'm going to be most accustomed to it, I also obviously like the increased real estate when it comes to gaming. There's usually a tradeoff between internals and the display when it comes to this but is it worth it? For those of you who have used both 17 and 15 inch screens, how much does it matter to you? Do you get easily accustomed to the 15 inch screen? Or is it a noticeably worse experience? The other obvious benefit to a wider screen is a wider base which usually means a "better" cooling solution...as better as one can get with a laptop anyway. Once more needs more storage

So what do you think? Are any of these options worth the money? Or should I look into Lenovo or Omen perhaps? My current laptop is rapidly becoming useless so I would like to get something relatively soon but I'm not a stranger to patience. 

First off what kind of games do you play and do you do anything besides gaming?

My games vary pretty widely. Mostly been playing League of Legends, Rainbow Six Siege, Overwatch, COD, some Apex, Escape from Tarkov. Though lately I've been able to play less and less of those as this poor thing dies. 

I do possibly have eyes towards using it for some online schooling in the game design field but I don't think I would be doing any hardcore rendering. It would be nice if it could do some light streaming but I can take or leave that. 

18 minutes ago, Rebel836 said:

Ok so I know there are a lot of topics like this and I've read through quite a few but I'm mostly just looking for opinions. I know the drawbacks of a laptop vs a desktop and I've built my fair share of desktops. If I had my choice I would get a desktop but with the way things are right now and the fact that I may be moving in the near future, a laptop is just easier. I currently use an MSI GE62 6QF Apache Pro and it's on its last legs. With everyone getting this stimulus check or whatever I was window shopping in the 1000-1200 dollar range for amusement purposes and came across a few that looked interesting but naturally they all have their pros and cons. Also if anyone has any recommendations for a 1000-1200 dollar desktop build that can top these that INCLUDES a monitor, I'm all ears and can be persuaded to wait maybe. 

Anyways these are the three options I've come across so far. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YM938TP/ref=as_li_qf_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=mylaptopguide-20&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B07YM938TP&linkId=6c6b03c359af4e8cae10d738737842c9&th=1

The helios 300 was the first one that everyone rages about that I've seen. The specs are really good for the price and most people agree, but the biggest complaints seem to be the flimsy screen/backlight bleed and the jet engine fans. I'm not unused to loud fans but everyone seems to repeat this over and over and I don't know if it's worse than what I have or if people are just used to gentle breaths of air. As for the backlight bleed, I can handle that to an extent but it would be annoying if playing darker games I'd imagine. I would also need to upgrade the storage

https://www.amazon.com/MSI-GL65-Gaming-i7-9750H-GTX1660Ti/dp/B08151ZHHS/ref=sr_1_10?dchild=1&keywords=MSI+GE+Series+GE65+Raider&qid=1587596542&sr=8-10

The MSI GL65 was the next one I looked at as I think it was recommended on this forum somewhere for someone asking a similar question. It honestly seems a lot like my current laptop just a bit more recent. Decent specs. Some complaints are the weird keyboard layout which would be a minimal issue for me since it's the same keyboard I use right now pretty much. Also needs more storage

https://www.amazon.com/MSI-Gaming-Laptop-i7-9750H-Aluminum/dp/B07Z5KP1Y1/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=msi+gf75&qid=1587596762&sr=8-6

The MSI GF75 was the last one that I so far have encountered that have caught my eye. As to be expected, it's going to be similar to my current laptop again as MSI doesn't change a whole lot aesthetic wise, but the biggest selling point for me here is the 17 inch screen. I currently am using a 17 inch screen so I'm going to be most accustomed to it, I also obviously like the increased real estate when it comes to gaming. There's usually a tradeoff between internals and the display when it comes to this but is it worth it? For those of you who have used both 17 and 15 inch screens, how much does it matter to you? Do you get easily accustomed to the 15 inch screen? Or is it a noticeably worse experience? The other obvious benefit to a wider screen is a wider base which usually means a "better" cooling solution...as better as one can get with a laptop anyway. Once more needs more storage

So what do you think? Are any of these options worth the money? Or should I look into Lenovo or Omen perhaps? My current laptop is rapidly becoming useless so I would like to get something relatively soon but I'm not a stranger to patience. 

For a start a desktop will melt a laptop in gaming. At 1200 you can get a solid 1440p monitor for £200~ and use the remaining grand for the rest of the system. Off the top of my head you could get a R5 3600 + board and RAM for around £400, case and PSU for £150, 1TB SSD for around £100 leaving £350 for a GPU so a 5700XT or a 5700 if other parts are a bit pricier than my ish estimates. 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

4 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

For a start a desktop will melt a laptop in gaming. At 1200 you can get a solid 1440p monitor for £200~ and use the remaining grand for the rest of the system. Off the top of my head you could get a R5 3600 + board and RAM for around £400, case and PSU for £150, 1TB SSD for around £100 leaving £350 for a GPU so a 5700XT or a 5700 if other parts are a bit pricier than my ish estimates. 

They want it in dollars.

1 minute ago, AsianLord said:

They want it in dollars.

Should be relatively easy to convert at least

Just now, Rebel836 said:

Should be relatively easy to convert at least

It’s generally about 1 to 1 when it come to PC parts. At MSRP a $399 GPU is normally £399. £379 if we’re lucky. 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

The pcpartpicker I didn't have permission to view. The laptop looks pretty decent spec wise.

2 hours ago, Rebel836 said:

The pcpartpicker I didn't have permission to view. The laptop looks pretty decent spec wise.

Should work fine now

I have a friend in Australia, and they want a gaming laptop that's worth their money. Can anyone suggest anything? I don't know crap about the laptop market right now, but their budget is around 2k AUD. Maybe a bit more if it's really worth it. They mainly want to game, but other applications like editing, and drawing are going to be used to. 

Thank you for any suggestions ahead of time.