Windows freezes when saving files on desktop

TheGrylix

Everytime when I want to save a file in a program (photoshop, word, etc.) and open up the „save as“ window and then click „desktop“ my pc freezes for between 10sec and 5min. For as if I choose any other option it works fine, even when I click „my pc“ and then select the desktop folder. I tried three fresh installs of windows on two different SSDs and still nothing. I‘m also running the latest windows, bios and chipset version. Is there a way to fix this?

my pc: amd 3600x, aorus x570 elite, wd black sn750 500gb, 16gb 3200 cl15 ram, rtx 2070s

Are you able to open Resource Monitor on Windows? Check to see where your bottleneck is there. You can also use the Performance Tab in Task Manager to see whats going on and where you might have a bottleneck. 

Do you have any storage on your machine other than the SSD?

8 minutes ago, A_Wild_Abra said:

Are you able to open Resource Monitor on Windows? Check to see where your bottleneck is there. You can also use the Performance Tab in Task Manager to see whats going on and where you might have a bottleneck. 

Do you have any storage on your machine other than the SSD?

I have a hdd for games. But all my usual programs like photshop are installed on the ssd and I‘m saving to the ssd. Resource monitor remains completly the same when I try to save a file, no spickes in usage.

Its possible, since I have a similar issue at home with my machine, if you have old storage loaded on the machine, when you open an explorer window, Windows pokes those old storage devices, and that takes some time. Lets eliminate all other factors into this. I'd say disconnect everything to the computer, even the gaming HDD and see what happens when you try to save. It might be the HDD is getting to that point in its lifespan where its out of its prime. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/22/2020 at 9:55 PM, A_Wild_Abra said:

Its possible, since I have a similar issue at home with my machine, if you have old storage loaded on the machine, when you open an explorer window, Windows pokes those old storage devices, and that takes some time. Lets eliminate all other factors into this. I'd say disconnect everything to the computer, even the gaming HDD and see what happens when you try to save. It might be the HDD is getting to that point in its lifespan where its out of its prime. 

Some time has passed and I retired all HDDs. The issue persists...