Average speeds

AzrealNoctis

Out of curiosity, what would be the average speeds one should expect to get over Ethernet and wifi from a 200mbps plan?

Depends on many factors. Ethernet speeds should be close to advertised (I have a 1Gbps Internet connection and I get ~900Mbps). Wi-Fi speeds vary greatly depending on your position from your access point or router.

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

18 minutes ago, r2724r16 said:

Depends on many factors. Ethernet speeds should be close to advertised (I have a 1Gbps Internet connection and I get ~900Mbps). Wi-Fi speeds vary greatly depending on your position from your access point or router.

Ok then, so my mother currently has a 200 Mbps plan and over Ethernet I only get a Max of around 60 Mbps, why might that be?

Edit: scratch that, only over small downloads do I get that high, downloading jc3 at an average of 40 mbps

Most likely a server issue, may have high load on it. 

CPU - I9 10900 | CPU Cooler - Corsair Hydro Series H100x AIO | Motherboard -  Aorus B460 PRO AC | RAM -G.SKILL Ripjaw V series 4x8GB 2666MHZ | Graphics Card - Gigabyte RTX 3070  | Power Supply - Cooler Master 650w  | Storage -  Working on a new Spicy 

Operating System - Windows 10 Pro

1 minute ago, Escapenz said:

Most likely a server issue, may have high load on it. 

Possibly, but it's been like this for a few months now

25 minutes ago, AzrealNoctis said:

Possibly, but it's been like this for a few months now

Mine is the same tho, I have 1gbps speeds and for the most part use half of it. Now and then as i change servers ill make it out but not to often. Tho can call your ISP and talk with them or look at upgrading hardware and see if it helps. 

CPU - I9 10900 | CPU Cooler - Corsair Hydro Series H100x AIO | Motherboard -  Aorus B460 PRO AC | RAM -G.SKILL Ripjaw V series 4x8GB 2666MHZ | Graphics Card - Gigabyte RTX 3070  | Power Supply - Cooler Master 650w  | Storage -  Working on a new Spicy 

Operating System - Windows 10 Pro

You literally opened an entire world of issues. MOST likely this is a server issue, whereas they limit the speeds to download. 

Go to speedtest.net and run a test to see what your download speed is there, don't base it off of game server.

"Soli Deo Gloria"

IT Technician by trade. Computer/Network equipment enthusiast!

Gaming PC: 

• AMD Ryzen 5 2600X (Stock Core Clock)
  • XFX RX 590 FATBOY 8 GB (Stock Core Clock)
  • Asus ROG Strix B450-F Motherboard
  • Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2x8) kit 3200 Mhz RAM
  • 512 GB Intel 660p M.2 NVMe SSD (Boot & Current Games)
  • 3 TB Toshiba HDD @ 7,200 rpm (Data)
  • 2 TB Seagate HDD @ 7,200 rpm (Backup)
  • Corsair CX650M PSU
  • NZXT S340 Elite Case
  • 24" AOC C24G1 1500r Curved Gaming Monitor 144hz 1080p
  • Turtle Beach Stealth 450 Gaming Headset
  • Corsair K63 10-Keyless Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (Cherry MX)
  • Logitech G602 Wireless Gaming Mouse, Razor Death Adder
  • Win10 Home

PC Part Picker Link

15 hours ago, AzrealNoctis said:

Out of curiosity, what would be the average speeds one should expect to get over Ethernet and wifi from a 200mbps plan?

🤔 Well if you are paying for 200mbps and you aren't actually getting that much, then you should have a chat with your service provider, because you are getting ripped off. You should also talk to your mother about upgrading your plan to 300mbps as well. For instance, if you go to Comcast's website in the link below, they will tell you that for certain activities like online gaming, they consider 300mbps the minimum. 

Link: Internet Service Plans from Comcast

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte AMD X570 Auros Master
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
    Samsung SSD 860 QVO 2TB - HDD Seagate B arracuda 1TB - External Seagate HDD 8TB
  • PSU
    G.Skill RipJaws 1250 Watts
  • Keyboard
    Corsair Gaming Keyboard K55
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

4 hours ago, BlackManINC said:

🤔 Well if you are paying for 200mbps and you aren't actually getting that much, then you should have a chat with your service provider, because you are getting ripped off. You should also talk to your mother about upgrading your plan to 300mbps as well. For instance, if you go to Comcast's website in the link below, they will tell you that for certain activities like online gaming, they consider 300mbps the minimum. 

Link: Internet Service Plans from Comcast

Im 99 percent sure I'm not going to be able to talk her into upgrading the internet speed, it took me like 2 years just to get her to upgrade from like 50mbps to 200, I'm planning on ordering a nighthawk router that is more appropriate for the large house I live in and we'll see how that works out, as it stands we have this old linksys e1550 that was bought back when we still lived in a apartment.

52 minutes ago, AzrealNoctis said:

Im 99 percent sure I'm not going to be able to talk her into upgrading the internet speed, it took me like 2 years just to get her to upgrade from like 50mbps to 200, I'm planning on ordering a nighthawk router that is more appropriate for the large house I live in and we'll see how that works out, as it stands we have this old linksys e1550 that was bought back when we still lived in a apartment.

🤔 Well, did you test your connection speed as others suggested with websites like the one below? It should show that you are getting the service you are paying for at 200mbps. It might even exceed it if your connection is that good. Whatever the case may be, I'd do whatever it takes to convince her that 300mbps is the way to go. If Comcast is saying 300 is the minimum for online gaming, they are saying it for good reason. If you are using wifi, you should try using the 5Ghz band if you aren't already. You might have to get a usb adapter to use it if your computers NIC adapter won't let you. 5GHz is preferred over 2.4 for gaming. 

link: https://www.speedtest.net/

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte AMD X570 Auros Master
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
    Samsung SSD 860 QVO 2TB - HDD Seagate B arracuda 1TB - External Seagate HDD 8TB
  • PSU
    G.Skill RipJaws 1250 Watts
  • Keyboard
    Corsair Gaming Keyboard K55
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

53 minutes ago, AzrealNoctis said:

we have this old linksys e1550 that was bought back when we still lived in a apartment.

Problem identified.

PC : 3600 · Crosshair VI WiFi · 2x16GB RGB 3200 · 1080Ti SC2 · 1TB WD SN750 · EVGA 1600G2 · Define C 

17 minutes ago, beersykins said:

Problem identified.

Yep, figured it was probably the router that was the bottleneck 🤣

1 hour ago, AzrealNoctis said:

Yep, figured it was probably the router that was the bottleneck 🤣

A quick Google suggests you're lucky its getting over 30Mbit. 😛  It only has 100Mbit ports which is never a good sign either.

That new router is going to be quite an upgrade.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7