I Need a New GPU...

Millsy_

...And I need some expert opinions on which one to get.

In a recent thread I posted, and an older thread I posted, and an even older thread I posted... It has been highlighted to me that I don't always do my proper research and can sometimes make the wrong decision buying PC components.

I am looking for some expert opinions on which Graphics card I should get for my upgrade. I have listed the specs of my current build down below, so any help would be appreciated as to which Graphics Card I should purchase for my system.

image.png.ba1507f8059ad9e327d8079eb4b8bf95.png

That being said I would like it to tick off the following things if possible:

- RTX Series

- In Keeping with Build Theme (Red/Black)

- Not to run into any issues with lack of VRAM down the line (3gb Card has caused issues on games like GTA V)

- Budget is £400-£500

- Would prefer a full sized card ie: 2 Fans Minimum

I appreciate any help people are willing to give!

Cheers,

Millsy

Basically Linus 2.0 at This Point - https://imgur.com/a/dD7AerE

9 minutes ago, Dappner said:

I'll ask for everyone:

What's your budget?

Thanks for bringing that up, I Have Amended the Original post, but in response to your question it is £400-£500 however for top end money I would want something Pretty Special.

8 minutes ago, Millsy_ said:

Thanks for bringing that up, I Have Amended the Original post, but in response to your question it is £400-£500 however for top end money I would want something Pretty Special.

I'd go for a 2060 Super or 2070 Super depending on where you want to go in terms of performance.

The Gigabyte 2060 Super is black I believe.....

You're on a 1080p monitor right? Performance wise the 2060 Super should be enough, but if you want even more, or are considering upgrading your monitor in the future, you could go for a 2070 Super. Would not recommend the 2070.

It's basically a more expensive version of the 2060 Super.

I am currently on 1080p 144hz so I think thats good logic, I have heard bad things about the RTX2070 being a more expensive version of the 2060 Super so that confirms that. What would be a good price point for a 2060 Super? Any suggestions? Also On an unrelated note, can you SLI with the 2060 Super as I know with the 1060 you cannot.

4 minutes ago, Millsy_ said:

I am currently on 1080p 144hz so I think thats good logic, I have heard bad things about the RTX2070 being a more expensive version of the 2060 Super so that confirms that. What would be a good price point for a 2060 Super? Any suggestions? Also On an unrelated note, can you SLI with the 2060 Super as I know with the 1060 you cannot.

I don't think you can. Not recommendable anyways. 

If you can be convinced to swap to team red, what about the RX 5700 XT. 

It's usually 10% faster than the 2060 Super and comes in at a similar price. It's what I currently have....

3 minutes ago, Dappner said:

I don't think you can. Not recommendable anyways. 

If you can be convinced to swap to team red, what about the RX 5700 XT. 

It's usually 10% faster than the 2060 Super and comes in at a similar price. It's what I currently have....

0.o Maybe it is one to check out

@Dappner

Here's one for you, does the 2060 Super only come in 8gb VRAM?

Cause PC Part Picker seems to think it only comes in 8gb VRAM but amazon is apparently selling a 6gb one...

13 minutes ago, Millsy_ said:

@Dappner

Here's one for you, does the 2060 Super only come in 8gb VRAM?

Cause PC Part Picker seems to think it only comes in 8gb VRAM but amazon is apparently selling a 6gb one...

It comes in both variants I believe...

4 minutes ago, Dappner said:

It comes in both variants I believe...

Okay nice, thanks.

Will my low frequency RAM effect performance in anyway?

3 minutes ago, Millsy_ said:

Okay nice, thanks.

Will my low frequency RAM effect performance in anyway?

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Yes 3200 or 3600mhz will probably get 5-10% more performance out of your cpu, but I doubt your cpu will be bottlenecking your GPU anyways....

2 hours ago, Dappner said:

I'll ask for everyone:

What's your budget?

thank-you-you-da-real-mvp-memegeneratorn

@Millsy_ RTX 2060 super comes at 8GB only, if you see 6GB then its the rtx 2060 (no super) 

RTX 2070 super is not just a more expensive 2060 super... it is faster than a 2060 super... the most expensive 2060 super is going to be slower than the cheapest 2070 super...

The question is if you are willing to spend the price difference for that extra performance? 

If the answer is "no" or "not sure" then check team read (RX 5700 xt) its a little slower in most of the games and in some of the games its a little faster compared to the rtx 2070 super but costs like 100 pounds less. 

To put it into prospective an RTX 2060 super is going to cost about as much as a RX 5700 xt... but the RTX 2060 super is slower than the RX 5700 xt. 

The RTX 2070 super is faster overall (losing at some games to the RTX 5700 xt but winning in most although that being said the difference is not huge) but is more expensive than both RTX 2060 super and RX 5700 xt...

So Its about you and your wallet now. Good luck. 

17 minutes ago, papajo said:

thank-you-you-da-real-mvp-memegeneratorn

@Millsy_ RTX 2060 super comes at 8GB only, if you see 6GB then its the rtx 2060 (no super) 

RTX 2070 super is not just a more expensive 2060 super... it is faster than a 2060 super... the most expensive 2060 super is going to be slower than the cheapest 2070 super...

The question is if you are willing to spend the price difference for that extra performance? 

If the answer is "no" or "not sure" then check team read (RX 5700 xt) its a little slower in most of the games and in some of the games its a little faster compared to the rtx 2070 super but costs like 100 pounds less. 

To put it into prospective an RTX 2060 super is going to cost about as much as a RX 5700 xt... but the RTX 2060 super is slower than the RX 5700 xt. 

The RTX 2070 super is faster overall (losing at some games to the RTX 5700 xt but winning in most although that being said the difference is not huge) but is more expensive than both RTX 2060 super and RX 5700 xt...

So Its about you and your wallet now. Good luck. 

My god I feel inspired right now, makes me wanna fling my card details at the first company that asks for them! 

I could earn more money by opening up an OnlyFans :kappa: 

My issue is... I'm very easily swayed by aesthetics, ie: I could get a £400 ugly ass 2060 Super OC but what I'm more attracted by is the ROG Strix 2060 Super which is almost £100 more.

I Don't think I could go to team red, as much as I would love to sit here and go "yeah it doesn't matter" I can't honestly say that is the truth, I like the Nvidia Services ie: Shadow Play Etc... Might just be me fan boying tho.

I'll most likely look for a 2060 Super OC, with good cooling and decent aesthetics, that being said I'm sitting here typing just thinking about that ROG card.

Realistically speaking, there isn't anything wrong with my 1060 so it kinda begs the question of why swap it at all?

Based on the system specs posted above, would you say there is a need to swap or is that system being at all bottlenecked? 
What would you do in my position?

If you can get the RTX 2070 super from MSI the gaming X models check all your boxes and it's a very amazing card.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

25 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

If you can get the RTX 2070 super from MSI the gaming X models check all your boxes and it's a very amazing card.

If you can link me one for under £500 then sounds good!

12 hours ago, Millsy_ said:

I Don't think I could go to team red, as much as I would love to sit here and go "yeah it doesn't matter" I can't honestly say that is the truth, I like the Nvidia Services ie: Shadow Play Etc... Might just be me fan boying tho.

AMD has radeon relive which is the same. 

I'll most likely look for a 2060 Super OC but what I'm more attracted by is the ROG Strix 2060 Super which is almost £100 more.

would be a waste of money buy a GTX 2070 super in that case since they almost cost the same. 

Based on the system specs posted above, would you say there is a need to swap or is that system being at all bottlenecked? 
What would you do in my position?

Noone is in your position but you.

What games you play at which settings you like to play them at what resolution? 

If you can play them the way you like and you dont have any performance complains then you dont need to upgrade

if you dont want to do something else that you cant currently do with your current setup then you dont need to upgrade. 

Having said that performancewise all the cards mentioned are going to have a significant increase in performance compared to your current one. 

maybe you will start to have  little bottleneck effects with thte RTX 2070 super given your CPU especially if you run other things in the background such as discord chrome or whatnot... 

42 minutes ago, papajo said:

maybe you will start to have  little bottleneck effects with thte RTX 2070 super given your CPU especially if you run other things in the background such as discord chrome or whatnot... 

Would this be fixable by overclocking the CPU, with it being a K series 9th Gen on a Z390 Board?

43 minutes ago, papajo said:

would be a waste of money buy a GTX 2070 super in that case since they almost cost the same.

After much deliberation last night, I came to the realisation performance > Aesthetics any day without question, so I plan to go for the Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Windforce OC:

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/components-upgrades/graphics-cards/gigabyte-geforce-rtx-2070-super-8-gb-windforce-oc-graphics-card-10201364-pdt.html

It is all Black, so its fits within my build, has good cooling as well as great performance and it comes within my budget and I am sure 8gb of VRAM will do just fine.

48 minutes ago, papajo said:

What games you play at which settings you like to play them at what resolution? 

I like to play on max settings where possible at all times. Why Invest so much if you're going to play below 1080p.. 60hz or in my case 144hz.

At that point you may as well consider buying a console.

What is the best Benchmark to use for an overall systems test, rather than just CPU/GPU?

14 minutes ago, Millsy_ said:

I like to play on max settings where possible at all times. Why Invest so much if you're going to play below 1080p.. 60hz or in my case 144hz.

What is the best Benchmark to use for an overall systems test, rather than just CPU/GPU?

there are generic tests for overall system performance like passmark but dont waste time on them as long as you feel comfortable in your everyday sessions with the computer you are fine the parts you have may not be state of the art but are not old nor particularly slow either so as long as you dont have any issues with what you do with the computer then you are fine. 

If you fell that some games you play at the settings you play them on have not a good framerate then upgrade the GPU but if you gonna spend that much money it would be a waste to go for a RTX 2060 

4 hours ago, Millsy_ said:

wow this is really getting somewhere lol.

a 2070 super will do pretty well. keep in mind, no SLI.

for 1080p 144hz tho a 2060 super is all you need really. a 2070super is for 1440p 144 imo, and a 2080 ti is for 4k.

stuff is cool. stuff that has fancy lighting is cooler. stuff that has fancy lighting and works is the coolest.

i game so i know a bit abt gaming tech, not much abt professional tech.

writing this as i finish a 3 hour D2 sesh so excuse anything wrong.

1 hour ago, ketchupspill said:

for 1080p 144hz tho a 2060 super is all you need really. a 2070super is for 1440p 144 imo, and a 2080 ti is for 4k.

As long as the price is right though OP wants to buy a RTX 2060 super that costs as much as a rtx 2070 super 

2 hours ago, papajo said:

As long as the price is right though OP wants to buy a RTX 2060 super that costs as much as a rtx 2070 super 

I retract this statement, I'd rather get a RTX 2070 which future proofs me for any AAA games and if I choose to upgrade my peripherals. If it is just black then it fits my build fine which this one does. Red lights aren't worth an sacrificing performance for.

I got a contact at PC World so I might be able to get a 10% discount on top of the already low price of the GPU as well as a heads up next time they're in stock.

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/components-upgrades/graphics-cards/gigabyte-geforce-rtx-2070-super-8-gb-windforce-oc-graphics-card-10201364-pdt.html

5 hours ago, papajo said:

oh.

no.

dont. that is extremely overpriced.

stuff is cool. stuff that has fancy lighting is cooler. stuff that has fancy lighting and works is the coolest.

i game so i know a bit abt gaming tech, not much abt professional tech.

writing this as i finish a 3 hour D2 sesh so excuse anything wrong.

11 minutes ago, ketchupspill said:

oh.

no.

dont. that is extremely overpriced.

3 hours ago, Millsy_ said:

I retract this statement, I'd rather get a RTX 2070 which future proofs me for any AAA games and if I choose to upgrade my peripherals. If it is just black then it fits my build fine which this one does. Red lights aren't worth an sacrificing performance for.

I got a contact at PC World so I might be able to get a 10% discount on top of the already low price of the GPU as well as a heads up next time they're in stock.

Don't worry, please read the above lol