Monitor Upgrade after 7 years: Alienware AW2720HF or Acer Predator XN253QX

Go to solution Solved by Doobeedoo,
9 hours ago, LIGHTSPEEDRESCUE said:

Yeah I was choosing with that in mind, but 0.4ms does sound very very attractive. They're both using AU Optronics panels so I'm not worried about quality. But how does the IPS one fare against other 240hz monitors with bigger market shares like the ones in BenQ Zowie, MSI Optix and Samsung Gaming Monitor lineup?

I mean TN will still be a bit faster, with less noticeable ghosting. Some rate those ms ratings with overdrive and such, more to it. Have to check individual monitor review for more detail. Obviously both are 240Hz and are very fast compared to 60Hz where ghosting is simply horrible. Some monitors have anti-ghosting feature, like strobing. Can't use it with variable refresh rates, aside from Asus TUF monitors. For BenQ and MSI they're good, Samsung uses VA panels, not that they're bad monitors, just that it's the slowest panel in general. 

Both are 240hz

Alienware's has an IPS panel while Acer offers 0.4ms GTG response time

Need help picking since I'm in a dilemma, I play games like Mordhau, Bannerlord and HYPERCHARGE a lot, occassionally League and CSGO. I don't know which one to go for especially since Acer's screen is about 100 bucks more expensive than the Alienware one in my country.

Price isn't the problem since I have been keeping an extra sum for 7 years until I needed to upgrade my monitor, just wanted to hear more opinions before I take the fall and choose one.

Thanks in advance!

Bonus: Anyone knows if the Samsung 240Hz 4ms one is any better compared to the 2? It's on sale here but the 4ms is putting me off. I've watch Linus' video on it and all the 240Hz video he has so it's making me more conflicted with my choices. I wanted BenQ's Zowie but it's sold out and too overpriced here despite being about 2 and half years old

One day I'll get League to run at 300fps stable instead of having the same performance as my trash can with a 5 years old graphics card.

You can get the IPS one, both are good, don't look to much into advertised ms labels though. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

4 hours ago, Doobeedoo said:

You can get the IPS one, both are good, don't look to much into advertised ms labels though. 

Yeah I was choosing with that in mind, but 0.4ms does sound very very attractive. They're both using AU Optronics panels so I'm not worried about quality. But how does the IPS one fare against other 240hz monitors with bigger market shares like the ones in BenQ Zowie, MSI Optix and Samsung Gaming Monitor lineup?

One day I'll get League to run at 300fps stable instead of having the same performance as my trash can with a 5 years old graphics card.

9 hours ago, LIGHTSPEEDRESCUE said:

I mean TN will still be a bit faster, with less noticeable ghosting. Some rate those ms ratings with overdrive and such, more to it. Have to check individual monitor review for more detail. Obviously both are 240Hz and are very fast compared to 60Hz where ghosting is simply horrible. Some monitors have anti-ghosting feature, like strobing. Can't use it with variable refresh rates, aside from Asus TUF monitors. For BenQ and MSI they're good, Samsung uses VA panels, not that they're bad monitors, just that it's the slowest panel in general. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |