What makes a tv good?

CookieVote

Hi, I have a question. It has been a very, very long time since I bought a tv or even looked at buying one. I think the last tile a bought a tv was a decade ago.

So the question was, what makes a tv good. What are certain things I need to look at when buying a new tv? I know the LG and Samsung make good tvs but that would be about it. 

I found this Tv , is it any good?

Thanks in advance. Please forgive me, I'm a big noob when it comes to tvs.

Set yourself a price limit and google top 10 TV´s 2020 in that range.

There are simply too many TVs to know them all.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

5 minutes ago, Praesi said:

Set yourself a price limit and google top 10 TV´s 2020 in that range.

There are simply too many TVs to know them all.

That is a good idea, thank you.

It is a 60hz TV with no VRR technology.

The 43" and 49" models in the Q60 lineup don't support VRR(Freesync or G-sync). The rest are 120hz with Freesync. 

The Q70s are the same with the 49" being 60hz with no VRR and the larger ones in the lineup having the features. 

If you need 43" size it is the best of the rest.

At the end of last year I was looking for a TV for viewing content and playing games. I wanted to go 43 to 50 inch but all the features I want start at 55".  It has worked out for me but it is bigger than I wanted.

I was going to buy the 49" Q70 but got a 55" LG OLED that was only $200 more on sale.

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

14 minutes ago, jones177 said:

It is a 60hz TV with no VRR technology.

The 43" and 49" models in the Q60 lineup don't support VRR(Freesync or G-sync). The rest are 120hz with Freesync. 

The Q70s are the same with the 49" being 60hz with no VRR and the larger ones in the lineup having the features. 

If you need 43" size it is the best of the rest.

At the end of last year I was looking for a TV for viewing content and playing games. I wanted to go 43 to 50 inch but all the features I want start at 55".  It has worked out for me but it is bigger than I wanted.

I was going to buy the 49" Q70 but got a 55" LG OLED that was only $200 more on sale.

Thanks for the response. Is the VRR really needed, or can I go without? The Q70s is a bit above my price range, I could go for them but I want to keep the price down. I should also have mentioned that there will be little to no gaming on the tv. It's meant for movies and general tv watching. It also has to be 43" otherwise it wont fit.

Just now, CookieVote said:

Thanks for the response. Is the VRR really needed, or can I go without? The Q70s is a bit above my price range, I could go for them but I want to keep the price down. I should also have mentioned that there will be little to no gaming on the tv. It's meant for movies and general tv watching. It also has to be 43" otherwise it wont fit.

Like a monitor you can always use vsync for pc games. VRR is a lot more convenient but it is a bit of a luxury. 

Console games are designed for TVs so less of an issue.

The Q60 is the only 43" TV I would buy now and the 2020 versions don't seem to have improved. 

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

1 hour ago, jones177 said:

Like a monitor you can always use vsync for pc games. VRR is a lot more convenient but it is a bit of a luxury. 

Console games are designed for TVs so less of an issue.

The Q60 is the only 43" TV I would buy now and the 2020 versions don't seem to have improved. 

Ok, good to know, thank you. If I were to play games on the tv it would be console games, but I rarely play those anyway.

I think it is really all about how much you want to spend.

Like someone said above, set your budget firm then look at what you can get for that money.

If you get caught up in all the features it is easy too end up spending more then you want.

I'm a movie lover too and I just bought a new one last year so this is fresh in my mind.

I prefer to go into a store and look at the screens before I decide on what brand to buy.

Different brands seem to emphasize different qualities.

Myself I notice things that I don't like in the picture quality of some brands over others.

For instance some brands look very slightly blurry to me yet their picture color is better.

So even though I like great color I go with the finer picture quality because that is a higher priority to me.

Also picture brightness, some brands look dimmer to me and I hate that.

The color on some brands looks more red or less pleasing to me too.

Stuff like that I can only decide by going and looking at the TV's in the store.

Hope that helps

1 hour ago, Intergalacticbits said:

I think it is really all about how much you want to spend.

Like someone said above, set your budget firm then look at what you can get for that money.

If you get caught up in all the features it is easy too end up spending more then you want.

I'm a movie lover too and I just bought a new one last year so this is fresh in my mind.

I prefer to go into a store and look at the screens before I decide on what brand to buy.

Different brands seem to emphasize different qualities.

Myself I notice things that I don't like in the picture quality of some brands over others.

For instance some brands look very slightly blurry to me yet their picture color is better.

So even though I like great color I go with the finer picture quality because that is a higher priority to me.

Also picture brightness, some brands look dimmer to me and I hate that.

The color on some brands looks more red or less pleasing to me too.

Stuff like that I can only decide by going and looking at the TV's in the store.

Hope that helps

The budget is very tightly set, no more than €700. The problem is that there are no stores open right now where you can go and look at tvs, with quarantine and all. But the store I'm planning to buy from does support a return policy so that's nice. The plan was indeed to go and look at tvs but that's a no go. 

I'm not really a guy that is going to look for fancy features in a tv, I don't have that kind of money. All I want is a clear image with vibrant colours.

Thanks for the response, it certainly helps.

On 4/20/2020 at 12:39 PM, CookieVote said:

The budget is very tightly set, no more than €700. The problem is that there are no stores open right now where you can go and look at tvs, with quarantine and all. But the store I'm planning to buy from does support a return policy so that's nice. The plan was indeed to go and look at tvs but that's a no go. 

I'm not really a guy that is going to look for fancy features in a tv, I don't have that kind of money. All I want is a clear image with vibrant colours.

Thanks for the response, it certainly helps.

Oh sorry dude.  I didn't get that you live across the Atlantic.  I thought you lived here in the US.

We got Walmart on this side of the ocean.  Even though other stores that sell electronics are closed here.

They are still open because they sell groceries too.

That's where I got the Samsung last year.

The 4k feature stuff is pretty standard now.

That said, having to buy blind online. I would just go with Sony.

My experience has been that they are consistently good for the money with very few exceptions.

Compared to other brands which seem to vary wildly from year to year and model.

I hope that is more helpful for you.

On 4/24/2020 at 4:32 PM, Intergalacticbits said:

Oh sorry dude.  I didn't get that you live across the Atlantic.  I thought you lived here in the US.

We got Walmart on this side of the ocean.  Even though other stores that sell electronics are closed here.

They are still open because they sell groceries too.

That's where I got the Samsung last year.

The 4k feature stuff is pretty standard now.

That said, having to buy blind online. I would just go with Sony.

My experience has been that they are consistently good for the money with very few exceptions.

Compared to other brands which seem to vary wildly from year to year and model.

I hope that is more helpful for you.

Hahaha, not a problem. I never mentioned otherwise. Where I live in Belgium we don't have such big stores nearby that are actually open. 

I ended up going with the Samsung tv I linked in my original post. The reviews were solid and the price was pretty good. And for the moment I'm pretty happy with it's performance.

Thanks for the help anyways, it's much appreciated.