Clouds of white dots in dark patches when gaming

Go to solution Solved by Sauron,
1 minute ago, Rmarrtyr said:

Do I have a faulty card?

Probably. If I saw something like that with a brand new graphics card I'd RMA it instantly.

I recently built a new gaming PC (Specs below) and am experiencing strange clouds of white dots when playing games. I have noticed this on RDR2, Far Cry 5 and Doom Eternal (it's especially bad in Doom).

I've tried changing the graphics settings on each game but nothing seems to make a difference. Drivers are all up to date. Do I have a faulty card?

http://imgur.com/gallery/73qgWMD

Gigabyte Geforce RTX 2080 Super Gaming OC
Ryzen 5 3600
16GB 3600Mhz
MSI B450m Mortar Max

Corsair TX650M

Windows 10 Pro x64

I thin kit could be artifacts but I'm not sure they would limit to dark areas.

You can still give a try to standard specs or even downclock a little to see if still does it.

Otherwise, I do not know, sorry.

1 minute ago, Rmarrtyr said:

Do I have a faulty card?

Probably. If I saw something like that with a brand new graphics card I'd RMA it instantly.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

14 minutes ago, PEagle said:

I thin kit could be artifacts but I'm not sure they would limit to dark areas.

You can still give a try to standard specs or even downclock a little to see if still does it.

Light dots on light content isn't as obvious.

It does remind me of things I've seen when overclocking a GPU, more leaning towards the vram. If you underclock it and it goes away that would confirm it. This is not expected for a new card and is reasonable to get a replacement.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Did you try another display cable?

I would get lots of red dots and sometimes display blanks when I upgraded to my 2080S. Swapped the HDMI cable and all was good, even though the cable that was there worked just fine with a 1070 and a 970 for years, somehow the drive must be weaker on the 2080S.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

• 1 year later...

In case anyone else has this issue, this usually happens due to your gpu outputting a different RGB range than your television is set to accept.  Your blacks are getting crushed, resulting in these white sparkles. 

Both devices need to be set to either “Limited dynamic range” (GPU) / “Low Black Level” (TV) or “Full dynamic range” (GPU)  / “High Black Level” (TV). 

Full can use any RGB value between 0-255. Limited can only use RGB values between 16-235. Full is ideal for PCs as they usually use monitors, but all movies and videos, including HDR, are made for Limited/Low Black Levels, which is the TV standard. Full will actually make your blacks look gray and washed out for movie/video sources. 

On an Nvidia GPU, open Nvidia Control Panel. Under “Display”, open “Change Resolution”. At the bottom of that panel, you should see something about “Apply the following settings”.  You can change the dynamic range there. It’s set to full by default. 

On your TV, you need to set your black levels to match your GPU setting, as stated above. 

In order to get the full range from my PC without affecting my cable and movie inputs, I ran a dedicated HDMI cable between my PC and my TV on a dedicated input set to black level “high”. I tested with my PS5 and Xbox Series X, and both were best with the TV set to black level “low”. 

• 1 year later...
On 4/3/2022 at 4:19 AM, mapotter99 said:

In case anyone else has this issue, this usually happens due to your gpu outputting a different RGB range than your television is set to accept.  Your blacks are getting crushed, resulting in these white sparkles. 

Both devices need to be set to either “Limited dynamic range” (GPU) / “Low Black Level” (TV) or “Full dynamic range” (GPU)  / “High Black Level” (TV). 

Full can use any RGB value between 0-255. Limited can only use RGB values between 16-235. Full is ideal for PCs as they usually use monitors, but all movies and videos, including HDR, are made for Limited/Low Black Levels, which is the TV standard. Full will actually make your blacks look gray and washed out for movie/video sources. 

On an Nvidia GPU, open Nvidia Control Panel. Under “Display”, open “Change Resolution”. At the bottom of that panel, you should see something about “Apply the following settings”.  You can change the dynamic range there. It’s set to full by default. 

On your TV, you need to set your black levels to match your GPU setting, as stated above. 

In order to get the full range from my PC without affecting my cable and movie inputs, I ran a dedicated HDMI cable between my PC and my TV on a dedicated input set to black level “high”. I tested with my PS5 and Xbox Series X, and both were best with the TV set to black level “low”. 

Thank you so much for this! I have intermittently had issues with this in certain games and have had them disappear/appear with driver changes so I always thought it was a software issue. Just bumped my black level to high on my TV and fixed it immediately!!!