MSI Laptop Motherboard powers-up when not flat in its case.

Hi all,

My MSI laptop will not power on unless it is unseated from the case. 

The bottom of the board has a shield to keep it from touching the keyboard backing plate, and there doesn’t seem to be anything making contact or shorting the components on the back side of the board.

Please help! How I can continue to troubleshoot the issue? The board is an MS-JB1 by Microstar. 

Please see video link below: 

https://youtu.be/gA4F2KynbcE

Thanks! 

So that sounds and looks like bad cabling from the power plug harness to the board itself, because you had to apply "pressure" to the port on the board where the harness gets plugged into. If possible replace the cable and/or replace the entire harness and cable.

Vindicator Main Rig: CPU: i7-5930K MOBO: ASRock Extreme 6 RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 1080 Storage: 256gb WD Black NVME (Boot), 1TB Mushkin Reactor SSD (Current Games), 4TB WD Black (Other Games), and 2TB WD Black HDD (everything else) CASE: Cooler Master CM Storm Trooper PSU: Corsair 750W Semi-modular 80+ Bronze.

Unkown Regions Home Server: CPU: AMD A10-5800K MOBO: ASRock FM2A88M Pro+. RAM: 22GB of Various DDR3. (2GB Dedicated to iGPU)  Storage: 180GB SSD (Boot and Program Storage), 10TB (3x WD Red 2TB and 1 Seagate Ironwolf 4TB ) in a Windows Storage System  CASE: Fractal Design Node 804 PSU: Cooler Master 400W White label.

Abomination (Work from Home/Tinker Machine) Station: CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1270v2 MOBO: Intel DQ77MK mATX. RAM: 4x8GB Crucial (1600) DDR3, GPU: Nvidia Quadro 600, Storage: 128GB mSATA (In a 2.5" adapter")x2 in Raid 0, and 250GB Velicoraptor, PSU:450 Bronze EVGA, Case: Re-purposed ACER VERTIRON Case

6 minutes ago, Admiral Breaker said:

So that sounds and looks like bad cabling from the power plug harness to the board itself, because you had to apply "pressure" to the port on the board where the harness gets plugged into. If possible replace the cable and/or replace the entire harness and cable.

Thanks for the reply. I should also mention that if the board is laid back down into the case. it will remain powered on. It just won’t power on when it is flat. 

1 minute ago, Packerwhacker said:

Thanks for the reply. I should also mention that if the board is laid back down into the case. it will remain powered on. It just won’t power on when it is flat. 

Yeah that really sounds like a bad cable. Replace that. I will say ebay is great at getting that cable. Now keep in mind if you get that cable and it still is having the issue then it is the port on the board that is getting the power from the power harness. But the cheapest route (typically) is replace the cable for the power harness. 

Vindicator Main Rig: CPU: i7-5930K MOBO: ASRock Extreme 6 RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 1080 Storage: 256gb WD Black NVME (Boot), 1TB Mushkin Reactor SSD (Current Games), 4TB WD Black (Other Games), and 2TB WD Black HDD (everything else) CASE: Cooler Master CM Storm Trooper PSU: Corsair 750W Semi-modular 80+ Bronze.

Unkown Regions Home Server: CPU: AMD A10-5800K MOBO: ASRock FM2A88M Pro+. RAM: 22GB of Various DDR3. (2GB Dedicated to iGPU)  Storage: 180GB SSD (Boot and Program Storage), 10TB (3x WD Red 2TB and 1 Seagate Ironwolf 4TB ) in a Windows Storage System  CASE: Fractal Design Node 804 PSU: Cooler Master 400W White label.

Abomination (Work from Home/Tinker Machine) Station: CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1270v2 MOBO: Intel DQ77MK mATX. RAM: 4x8GB Crucial (1600) DDR3, GPU: Nvidia Quadro 600, Storage: 128GB mSATA (In a 2.5" adapter")x2 in Raid 0, and 250GB Velicoraptor, PSU:450 Bronze EVGA, Case: Re-purposed ACER VERTIRON Case

1 hour ago, Admiral Breaker said:

Yeah that really sounds like a bad cable. Replace that. I will say ebay is great at getting that cable. Now keep in mind if you get that cable and it still is having the issue then it is the port on the board that is getting the power from the power harness. But the cheapest route (typically) is replace the cable for the power harness. 

Would soldering the leads directly onto the board be an option?