GPU Power Delivery issue

SleepTheDruid
Go to solution Solved by svmlegacy,
13 minutes ago, SleepTheDruid said:

power draw(TDP) doesn't stay at 100% all the time, it frequently dips to the 90s(like between 93-97%) and sometimes even 75-85%. Is this normal?

This is normal. TDP is an arbitrary number used to design the cooling solution. Your power usage will depend heavily on the workload given, as well as your individual piece of silicon.

The % Utilization is the representation of how much time it's spending working, so at 99% load, it's working at 99% capacity.

Your PSU is doing its job, and a new PSU will not change this.

Greetings, I'm facing a weird issue on Kombustor. When I stress test my GPU, the GPU load stays at 98-99% but the power draw(TDP) doesn't stay at 100% all the time, it frequently dips to the 90s(like between 93-97%) and sometimes even 75-85%. Is this normal? I'm afraid this can be caused by my PSU, but sadly I'm not at home and I don't have any extra components to test this. I should add that its frequently varying in the 90s range and sometimes dips for an instant to something in the range that I show in the screenshot.

Thanks in advance guys! :D

Specs:

Ryzen 5 2600

MSI B450M Bazooka v2

Palit GTX 1070 Dual

16gb RAM

tdpdrop.png

13 minutes ago, SleepTheDruid said:

power draw(TDP) doesn't stay at 100% all the time, it frequently dips to the 90s(like between 93-97%) and sometimes even 75-85%. Is this normal?

This is normal. TDP is an arbitrary number used to design the cooling solution. Your power usage will depend heavily on the workload given, as well as your individual piece of silicon.

The % Utilization is the representation of how much time it's spending working, so at 99% load, it's working at 99% capacity.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

5 minutes ago, svmlegacy said:

Oh, I was just asking because I was afraid that the PSU I've been sold could be bad, its second hand but its a Seasonic model so its expected to be a quality PSU. Thanks for the reply!

I would agree it not your psu. However  what I would look is gpu hitting the correct clock speeds for memory and gpu. If it is then it is running normal.

2 minutes ago, William M said:

I would agree it not your psu. However  what I would look is gpu hitting the correct clock speeds for memory and gpu. If it is then it is running normal.

Yeah, it boosts perfectly fine, sometimes there are small variations(like 20-50mhz) but I think that is normal in these cards' context since they don't all boost to the same frequency, iit all comes to the silicon lottery.

Just now, William M said:

Sounds like it working as it should

Ok then, thank you for the reply! I can now ease my mind since I've been plagued with some issues after building this rig and after I solved them all I didn't want to tackle yet another issue.