Expandable home NAS 8 - 16 tb

Hi!

With the recent situation being what it is I've been looking more and more into doing more freelancing work and with the amount of work I've been doing from home I've also realised how bad my backup and redundancy situation is. To solve this I'm playing with the thought of building a NAS (that can be extended into a plex and/or light render) server. From what I've been able to learn from reading, unRAID is a decent choice in my case as I value the expansion capablilities quite highly and don't have the time to spend more hours than necessary in the terminal.

As of right now I have roughly 4tb (including some minor redundancy) on my workstation. With an increase of ~500gb since christmas I have been aiming for ~6tb usable space on the NAS but the 4tb drives appear to have a better value over 3tb drives.

Here are the parts I thought of using:

- ASUS Prime B450-A

- Ryzen 3 3200G

- Corsair SF450

- 16gb DDR4-2666 Samsung/Kingston/Crucial ECC

- 3x4tb IronWolf  ( expandable to a max of 6x4tb in the future )

When it comes to the case I get a kick out of building custom ones and with access to a workshop comes great power something, something...

The main points that I would like feedback on are:

- Is ECC memory worth it?

- Memory requirements?

- Found a deal on SkyHawk discs that are cheaper than IronWolves, worth it?

- Cooling requirements? Would like to go for as much of a sleeper look as possible

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

• Daily Driver : Ryzen 5 3600 - Aorus Ultra Gaming x470 - Strix RTX2070 - MSI Ventus V2 RTX2080 - (4x16Gb) HyperX Fury Black 3200MHz - Corsair Carbide 300r
  • HTPC : FX-8350 - Asus Sabertooth 990Fx rev2.0 - 2x Asus GTX660Ti - (4x4Gb) Corsair Vengeance - Scratch built oak and walnut chassi
  • NAS (Unraid) : Ryzen 3 3200G - Asus Prime B450-A - (2x4Gb) HyperX Fury Black 3200MHz - 3 x Seagate IronWolf 4tb - 500gb SSD cache drive - Scratch build IronWolf themed case

Just now, frokes said:

- 3x4tb IronWolf  ( expandable to a max of 6x4tb in the future )

Id probably go 8tb shucked drives, cheaper per tb, less total power used aswell.

1 minute ago, frokes said:

- Is ECC memory worth it?

Seeing how it doesn't cost much more, might as well. It won't have any functional difference, but will lower change of data corruption.

- Memory requirements?

You really don't need much for a basic nas, unless you want to do more or need high performance, 4 or 8gb should be fine.

2 minutes ago, frokes said:

- Found a deal on SkyHawk disc that are cheaper than IronWolves, worth it?

Id still get the 8tb external drives, but any hdd should work here, the nas features aren't really needed.

2 minutes ago, frokes said:

- Cooling requirements? Would like to go for as much of a sleeper look as possible

Not much needed, just get some air flowing by the drives, and the cpu won't use much power at all.

12 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Id probably go 8tb shucked drives, cheaper per tb, less total power used aswell.

Id still get the 8tb external drives, but any hdd should work here, the nas features aren't really needed.

Huh hadn't even looked at that. Surely that would remove any warrently though and the price difference does not appear to be that great to me (~20$ in my country from what I can tell), am I missing something?

• Daily Driver : Ryzen 5 3600 - Aorus Ultra Gaming x470 - Strix RTX2070 - MSI Ventus V2 RTX2080 - (4x16Gb) HyperX Fury Black 3200MHz - Corsair Carbide 300r
  • HTPC : FX-8350 - Asus Sabertooth 990Fx rev2.0 - 2x Asus GTX660Ti - (4x4Gb) Corsair Vengeance - Scratch built oak and walnut chassi
  • NAS (Unraid) : Ryzen 3 3200G - Asus Prime B450-A - (2x4Gb) HyperX Fury Black 3200MHz - 3 x Seagate IronWolf 4tb - 500gb SSD cache drive - Scratch build IronWolf themed case

If you want to go with ECC, keep in mind, that all Ryzen with integrated gpu will NOT support ECC. Also keep the mainboard compatibility for ECC in mind as well. Some manufacturers support it on all/most of their lineup, others don't support it at all.

Gaming Rig: Ryzen 9 5950x | 2x16GB DDR4 3200MHz | XFX Reference 6800 XT | MSI Unify X570 | Corsair MP600 2TB, Samsung 850 Evo 500GB | bequiet 850W Straight Power 11

Server: Ryzen 5 3600 | 4x32GB DDR4 ECC 2400MHz | Asrock Rack X470D4U | Samsung EVO Plus 250GB, 6x Seagate Exos 8TB, Samsung 850 Pro 1TB | bequiet 550W Straight Power 11

5 hours ago, frokes said:

Huh hadn't even looked at that. Surely that would remove any warrently though and the price difference does not appear to be that great to me (~20$ in my country from what I can tell), am I missing something?

IDK of your country and prices, but you normally still get warrnty on those drives.

What are the prices in your country?

22 hours ago, Jisagi said:

If you want to go with ECC, keep in mind, that all Ryzen with integrated gpu will NOT support ECC. Also keep the mainboard compatibility for ECC in mind as well. Some manufacturers support it on all/most of their lineup, others don't support it at all.

Ahh damn. Did some digging as the spec for ryzen 3 3200G says it supports it but no one appears to have gotten it to work from the forum posts i've read. Thanks for pointing that out!

19 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

IDK of your country and prices, but you normally still get warrnty on those drives.

What are the prices in your country?

Wait I might not be following you you here. Was your suggestion to just use a bunch of external discs and connect them to the NAS over USB or to buy the external discs, take them apart and use the drives inside them? Surely the latter would void the warranty, right?

As for prices :

External 4 tb ~120€

External 8 tb ~190€

Internal 4 tb ~140€

Internal 8 tb ~220€

So going for external drives is a bit cheaper but not having a minimum of 3 years of warrenty is rather significant in my opinion.

If you go unRAID and start out with 3x4TB, you don't have to go to 6x4TB later. You could later go to for example 3x4 TB and 3x8TB or whatever, it's just that what disk that is parity would have to change when you get the first 8TB one.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

11 minutes ago, Mihle said:

If you go unRAID and start out with 3x4TB, you don't have to go to 6x4TB later. You could later go to for example 3x4 TB and 3x8TB or whatever, it's just that what disk that is parity would have to change when you get the first 8TB one.

Ah right! Thanks for the tip!

Ah right! Thanks for the tip!

Parity disk have to be the same or larger size than the largest data disks, other than that you can mix sizes.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

4 hours ago, frokes said:

Wait I might not be following you you here. Was your suggestion to just use a bunch of external discs and connect them to the NAS over USB or to buy the external discs, take them apart and use the drives inside them? Surely the latter would void the warranty, right?

Take the usb drives out of their casing. There cheaper per tb and basically the same drives in side.

The warranty is normally fine if you take the drive out of the enclosure.