raspbian SFTP "Server sent passive reply with unroutable address"

ok, I'm a bit of a newb with linux in general, but I really needed a server to move photography files on and off of for my photo business., I got my raspi setup, and I can access it from within my own network, but when outside I get this error "Server sent reply with unroutable address" I have tried several things I found online with regards to changing FileZilla's active/passive options to no avail. I could really use a hand here from someone with a little more knowledge.

First answer the following questions:

• What protocol are you using to access those files? FTP, SFTP, FTPS, SCP...?
  • How do you reach your own network? DynDNS, PublicIP, VPN...? If so how was that set up.
  • Did you setup a port forwarding in your router? If so maybe attach a screenshot from the regarding config page so we can see the settings.
  • Can your PI reach the internet? Run "ping -c4 google.com" and "ping -c4 8.8.8.8" and send the result
  • Run the command "ifconfig" on your pi and post the output here.

1. SFTP

2. I have a static IP and I use a VPN to encrypt while transferring files

3. I did setup PF in my router

image.thumb.png.56c49c339c5c4c844eb835be5c33e3d4.png

4. image.png.7ee042754ee2a6a19287db326192c439.png

5. using proFTPd, confirmed the IP in the pi

image.thumb.png.11969e655313b5de8aef217d56b67f86.png

I am a bit confused by your setup. If you use VPN most routers will allow you to access their local network directly, so you wouldn't need the port forwarding. Besides SFTP itself is already encrypted so using VPN only for file transfer is not necessary. Also the used port is not the standard SFTP port (22) so I assume you assured that your sshd runs on port 7493. You can use "sudo netstat -ltpn" or "sudo ss -ltpn" to check the listening services and their ports.

Also I looked a bit more into your reported error message. It indicated that you are not using SFTP but FTP(S), which are very different protocols. The passive/active functionality has to be enabled on your server side aswell. So you have to configure the FTP server, how to do that depends on the installed ftp server (mentioned commands above might show which ones are used). If you are using VPN all of this usually shouldn't be a problem, but it seems that at least for the FTP connection you are not using the VPN tunnel.

I use a VPN for general use, not point to point connection to my home network. but here is the general guide I followed in creating my server:

https://ryanfitton.co.uk/blog/quick-and-easy-ftp-server-install-on-a-raspberry-pi/

I'm going to dig into the port issue, and hope that's it.

and thank you for taking time to correspond, I really appreciate it.

so the port is set correctly in the proFTPD files, still trying to find the SFTP file in terminal to change it there.