Recommendations/Tips on a new MacBook Air

What do you want to plug in? Ethernet? How many USB-A accessories? HDMI, DisplayPort? Do you want a USB-C hub or a Thunderbolt hub?

Not hating on MAC but look for another laptop my friend. The cooling setup on this laptop is stupid. That will die in just a few months
TLDR: Processor only has a heatsink, device has a fan but no tubing or anything connecting to the processor's heatsink

image.png.3aa30e58b573f2acfff6c0a2ffc018b5.png

Rossman has a video on it: 

Downloading RAM . . . 1%

Just now, Fried.Bacon said:

Not hating on MAC but i wouldn't recommend it. The cooling setup is stupid. That will die
TLDR: Processor only has a heatsink, device has a fan but no tubing or anything connecting to the processor's heatsink

Wasn't really the question.

7 minutes ago, seanondemand said:

Wasn't really the question.

You have the actual question covered;)

Downloading RAM . . . 1%

The new macbook air is a nice computer for what it is build for. 

The cooling is ok as long as you dont blast it to 100% load all the time.

Battery live, build quality and speakers are exceptional!

Screen is also verry good. 

IMPORTANT: GET THE QUADCORE its only like 50$ more and more than duble the performance. You should NOT buy a dualcore in 2020. even when only doing lightweight work. you WILL notice it!

But i think the model you mentioned is that one right?

OK now the question: I have the Inateck HB9003. 

HDMI

DVI

Gbit LAN

2x USB 3.1 

1x USB C 3.2 (with passtrough charging)

1x microSD

1xSD

For me its the perfect hub. Lightweight and you can stash the cable inside it so it wont break.

I have that thing for close to 2 years now, use it almost every day (NOW) and its perfect!

FOLDING MONTH 2021! GOGOGO and save on some heating costs 🙂

16 minutes ago, Metallus97 said:

The new macbook air is a nice computer for what it is build for. 

The cooling is ok as long as you dont blast it to 100% load all the time.

Battery live, build quality and speakers are exceptional!

Screen is also verry good. 

IMPORTANT: GET THE QUADCORE its only like 50$ more and more than duble the performance. You should NOT buy a dualcore in 2020. even when only doing lightweight work. you WILL notice it!

But i think the model you mentioned is that one right?

OK now the question: I have the Inateck HB9003. 

HDMI

DVI

Gbit LAN

2x USB 3.1 

1x USB C 3.2 (with passtrough charging)

1x microSD

1xSD

For me its the perfect hub. Lightweight and you can stash the cable inside it so it wont break.

I have that thing for close to 2 years now, use it almost every day (NOW) and its perfect!

Dual core is fine for MacOS. It’s not windows. It also improves battery life the dual core is a 9W part the quad is a 15W.

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

53 minutes ago, seanondemand said:

What do you want to plug in? Ethernet? How many USB-A accessories? HDMI, DisplayPort? Do you want a USB-C hub or a Thunderbolt hub?

I want at least 2 USB-A, an USB-C would be great, 1 SD slot, 1 TF(micro-sd) slot, a HDMI, an Ethernet would be great

QUOTE ME SO I CAN REPLY OR TYPE @ItsMeRachata before every quote.

AMD Motherboard Tier List v2    Power Supply Tier List 

Just now, ItsMeRachata said:

I want at least 2 USB-A, an USB-C would be great, 1 SD slot, 1 TF(micro-sd), a HDMI, an Ethernet would be great

I have this one which would cover everything but Ethernet:

Anker [Upgraded] USB C Hub Adapter, 7-in-1 USB C Adapter, with 4K HDMI, Power Delivery, USB C Data Port, microSD and SD Card Reader, 2 USB 3.0 Ports, for MacBook Pro, Pixelbook, XPS https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07ZVKTP53/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_dqiLEbAFF9FWE

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

1 hour ago, Fried.Bacon said:

Not hating on MAC but look for another laptop my friend. The cooling setup on this laptop is stupid. That will die in just a few months

image.png.3aa30e58b573f2acfff6c0a2ffc018b5.png

This is a very false information, sorry.

1. there is no overheat. Intel rated the CPU for 100°C Tjunction. That means, 100°C is still within the max range. It will not die in a few months.

2. Noone who buys a Macbook Air will have the CPUs at 100% Load 100% of the time. If you do, you bought the Wrong Notebook.

He probably just wants a machine that works for basic tasks like streaming content, typing documents/office, browsing the web etc. And for that, this is perfectly Fine. The Fan will most likely even stay Off because the CPU never goes above 60°C.

3. There is a Strip connected to the Fan. The Air moves to the other Side, and enters the Case, and moves through the Heatsink.

See here:

b26ffcfea0e54acc93632dd8e47a88fc.jpeg

It's more passive instead of active, but it's a cooling. Not optimal, but for what the Air is made for, it's okay.

It's not very optimal, that's true. But it's not "placebo".

I respect Louis' work, and his knowledge about many detailed internal stuff.

But THIS video, even if it looks funny, is just plain stupid. He failed to see the strip, or simply didnt mention it, to have a "clickbait" for that Video. He didn't showed the whole picture, and that is not okay in my Opinion.

That still doesn't make the Cooling system any good. But it's at least more than placebo.

@Darkseth  just to clarify, never said it was a placebo. Heatsinks still work of course. My main point is that the design is very inefficient.

Also note that the output end of your windstrip is not even exhausting on the center. Where the heatsink is.

image.png.4599dd5a0333856bf8c48babffafd194.png

and for your point no 2. I believe it's on all laptops right? Who wants their laptop running 100% all the time. Im just saying that it is quite likely that this macbook air version will likely die earlier. Though I'm sure apple has set thermal thresholds to throttle the CPU (that still a sad thing though)

Anyway my main point in my post was just really:
1. it's inefficient cooling design and would likely thermal throttle early 

2. and would personally Recommend to the user to skip this release/version of the macbook air.

Downloading RAM . . . 1%

8 hours ago, ItsMeRachata said:

Can it do some task like light video-editing

yes, but use apple software and get the quadcore. It will use the T2 chip for some tasks and therefore be ok :)

17 hours ago, Fried.Bacon said:

@Darkseth  just to clarify, never said it was a placebo. Heatsinks still work of course. My main point is that the design is very inefficient.

Also note that the output end of your windstrip is not even exhausting on the center. Where the heatsink is.

and for your point no 2. I believe it's on all laptops right? Who wants their laptop running 100% all the time. Im just saying that it is quite likely that this macbook air version will likely die earlier. Though I'm sure apple has set thermal thresholds to throttle the CPU (that still a sad thing though)

Anyway my main point in my post was just really:
1. it's inefficient cooling design and would likely thermal throttle early 

2. and would personally Recommend to the user to skip this release/version of the macbook air.

1. yeha but its enough and therefore super silent. It doesn't throttle look up the LTT review.

2. no, I run my MBP at full thrust all the time (folding at home). Everything operates in spec. Yes we PC guys dont like our CPU to be at 90 but that is NORMAL and IN SPEC for a thin and light

5 hours ago, Metallus97 said:

yes, but use apple software and get the quadcore. It will use the T2 chip for some tasks and therefore be ok :)

Ok, great. I plan to edit my video on iMovie 

QUOTE ME SO I CAN REPLY OR TYPE @ItsMeRachata before every quote.

AMD Motherboard Tier List v2    Power Supply Tier List 

5 hours ago, ItsMeRachata said:

Ok, great. I plan to edit my video on iMovie 

Yeha iMovie will work fine! If youre planing on getting more into this and using final cut and stuff I reccomend stepping it up to a MBP (but wait for 10th gen intel in those)