EonNAS 510 with FreeNAS. Multiple drive size RAID 1 question.

So I have a EonNAS Pro 510 that I picked up for BurstCoin mining back in the day and want to use it for it's intended purpose now.

I currently have a 3TB, 4TB, and 5TB drive. In the future when my savings are in the right place I plan on doing 5 x 4TB in RAID 5, but that's a project for another day. For now I'm wanting to do daily backups and then have some space for media that I don't care about having backups for.

If I did the 3TB and 4TB drives in RAID 1, would that leave a 1TB partition on the 4TB drive that I'm free to use, or would I need to sacrifice the entire space on the 4TB drive? I would use the 3TB + 4TB for my daily backups, the 1TB partition on the 4TB that's not backed up for STL and 3D printer projects, and the 5TB for random media.

Thanks in advance!

Freenas doesn't let you do those partition things, atleast in the gui. 

You probalby want something like unraid for mixed drive arrays, or mergerfs+ snapraid.

You can do this with zfs, but its not best practice,probably want to do this in linux, not freenas though as it gives you more control over the partitioning.

15 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Freenas doesn't let you do those partition things, atleast in the gui. 

You probalby want something like unraid for mixed drive arrays, or mergerfs+ snapraid.

You can do this with zfs, but its not best practice,probably want to do this in linux, not freenas though as it gives you more control over the partitioning.

Thanks for this, I might end up just installing Linux or Windows and try something from there. Only downfall is I can't get this damn thing to boot from USB, only way I can get it to boot to an OS is installing the OS on a SSD/HDD from another PC and putting it in drive slot 5. Sucks because that takes up one of my drive bays. The firmware on the EonNAS allows me to do what I need to do but the only version of SMB it supports is v1, which I really don't want to enable on any of my devices.

1 minute ago, ThisIsCheez said:

Thanks for this, I might end up just installing Linux or Windows and try something from there. Only downfall is I can't get this damn thing to boot from USB, only way I can get it to boot to an OS is installing the OS on a SSD/HDD from another PC and putting it in drive slot 5. Sucks because that takes up one of my drive bays. The firmware on the EonNAS allows me to do what I need to do but the only version of SMB it supports is v1, which I really don't want to enable on any of my devices.

If you use linux you can use the boot drive for data aswell.

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

If you use linux you can use the boot drive for data aswell.

Good to know, that could be an option for me then.

Thanks buddy.

1 minute ago, ThisIsCheez said:

Good to know, that could be an option for me then.

Thanks buddy.

but if its older, its probably mbr boot, so your boot drive is 2tib max

7 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

but if its older, its probably mbr boot, so your boot drive is 2tib max

Scratch what I said before! Got this baby to boot from USB!

There's not a lot of support for EonNAS online, they seem to be enterprise only hardware (you can't even register on their website with a common email like outlook, hotmail, gmail) and putting in tickets with them gives little to no information unless you have the newest product or a support plan with them. I finally found a user manual and turns out one of the USB ports is the "debug/console" port and you enter debug mode by holding down delete on boot. Popped a FreeNAS USB in there and it booted!

Since you mentioned FreeNAS doesn't support what I'm looking for I'm going to give UnRaid 30 day trail a spin and see if I like it.

Thanks again!