Would replacing stock thermal paste help?

AeroMagnus

So I've got the stock amd cooler for my 2600 and I was wondering if just replacing the thermal paste on it would help with my temps? or should I replace my shitty case first? 

Depends, what case do you have? Are you using the crappy stock pushpin heatsink from Intel?

5 minutes ago, Applefreak said:

Are you using the crappy stock pushpin heatsink from Intel?

Probably not

15 minutes ago, AeroMagnus said:

I've got the stock amd cooler for my 2600

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

4 minutes ago, Applefreak said:

Depends, what case do you have? Are you using the crappy stock pushpin heatsink from Intel?

41nlMUvyQ6L.jpg.92801828b9fe10f1283a438bacba7d37.jpgAs i said, I'm using the stock AMD Wraith Spire. The side panel is always off because the graphic card chokes on its own 

Ah sorry, didn't read it was AMD. The Wraith Spire isn't that much better either when dealing with a restrictive case. Get a cheap open case and add some fans for intake and exhaust. Unless you want a sleeper build, then you may have to get creative and maybe drill a hole into the bottom for more intake.

7 minutes ago, Applefreak said:

Ah sorry, didn't read it was AMD. The Wraith Spire isn't that much better either when dealing with a restrictive case. Get a cheap open case and add some fans for intake and exhaust. Unless you want a sleeper build, then you may have to get creative and maybe drill a hole into the bottom for more intake.

it has a front fan intake, hidden, surprinsingly. I'm using it because it was free basically 

5 minutes ago, Applefreak said:

Do you have a fan in the rear as well?

392905879_WhatsAppImage2020-04-08at16_56_13.thumb.jpeg.f9847ab96a7f3c83cf6101defd9aade2.jpegthis is how it always is, that fan was included and the mounting hole for the front one is at the height of the gpu, would it make a difference there or should I try to put an exhaust on the top?

More airflow would be better, mostly exhaust at this point but I would get a new case unless of course you want it to look like that and maybe put a windows xp sticker on it. In that case, make some holes in the floor for that poor gpu and make a hole for an exhaust at the top. Also that rear fan should be exhausting air, try reversing it. You need that air to move out as quickly as possible and your psu is very restrictive for airflow so it does pretty much nothing. If you want to cut holes, use a decent hole saw from a reputable brand like Milwaukee and a low speed setting. Oh and if you do, remove the hardware first.

After cutting the holes I would put something that act as dust filter and lift the case at least 1" so the air can come in more efficiently.  

I9 10850K

EVGA RTX 3080 TI FTW3 ULTRA

32 Gb Crucial Balistix ddr4 3600mHz 16-18-18-38

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

Fractal Design Ion+ 860W platinum

Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 360mm

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

TeamGroup L5 3D Lite 1 Tb sata SSD

1 hour ago, AeroMagnus said:

this is how it always is, that fan was included and the mounting hole for the front one is at the height of the gpu, would it make a difference there or should I try to put an exhaust on the top?

Why use the rear as an intake? Have you tried using it as an exhaust instead?

What are load temps?

The stock paste is fine and replacing it with better paste isn't going to make much of a difference. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

On 4/8/2020 at 6:50 PM, WoodenMarker said:

Why use the rear as an intake? Have you tried using it as an exhaust instead?

What are load temps?

The stock paste is fine and replacing it with better paste isn't going to make much of a difference. 

It's bad while under load, 83c or so. I think I've got a stealth cooler with my 2600 instead of a spire btw

2 hours ago, AeroMagnus said:

It's bad while under load, 83c or so. I think I've got a stealth cooler with my 2600 instead of a spire btw

Yep, the 2600 comes with the Wraith Stealth.

83c is warm but not overheating. Have you tried flipping the rear fan to exhaust to see if it helps?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

2 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Yep, the 2600 comes with the Wraith Stealth.

83c is warm but not overheating. Have you tried flipping the rear fan to exhaust to see if it helps?

it was on exhaust when i got those temps, also the side pannel is always off 

I'd give it a shot if I had the thermal paste.

Have you cleaned it?

With the side panel off, replacing the case isn't going to help it. Although it would help the GPU. Depends on what you want to spend money on.

25 minutes ago, Demonic Donut said:

I'd give it a shot if I had the thermal paste.

Have you cleaned it?

With the side panel off, replacing the case isn't going to help it. Although it would help the GPU. Depends on what you want to spend money on.

I just discovered I got a stealth cooler, so imma get a cooler master 212 for 30$ tbh. that is if i really start needing it

1 hour ago, AeroMagnus said:

I just discovered I got a stealth cooler, so imma get a cooler master 212 for 30$ tbh. that is if i really start needing it

That looks like a 92mm rear fan. From the looks of it, a Hyper 212 probably wouldn't fit. As mentioned, a new case is a good idea which would improve cooling overall and might remove the need for a better cooler. 

Where are you shopping / located? Are you planning to use any of the dvd / sd card reader drives?

I'll second the notion that your case is the culprit.  No side ventilation nor front ventilation.  There are extremely cheap cases out there that will fix your issue with no or little work involved.

18 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

That looks like a 92mm rear fan. From the looks of it, a Hyper 212 probably wouldn't fit. As mentioned, a new case is a good idea which would improve cooling overall and might remove the need for a better cooler. 

Where are you shopping / located? Are you planning to use any of the dvd / sd card reader drives?

Those readers are not connected as they use those extremely legacy connectors from 10 years ago. Also the last time I used an optical drive was like in elementary. 

I'm in the north on Mexico

8 hours ago, Shrepto said:

I'll second the notion that your case is the culprit.  No side ventilation nor front ventilation.  There are extremely cheap cases out there that will fix your issue with no or little work involved.

Yes I decided I'd rather get another case than a entry level monitor, I will be getting this case tentatively. here  for about 78 USD tax incl. I think it looks cool and the intake fans should be fine enought? 

4 hours ago, AeroMagnus said:

Yes I decided I'd rather get another case than a entry level monitor, I will be getting this case tentatively. here  for about 78 USD tax incl. I think it looks cool and the intake fans should be fine enought? 

Sure, that seems alright. Keep in mind that the listing linked only has red led front fans and a black rear fan as opposed to the rgb shown in the photos on the product website.