Why does my aim feel snappier and more accurate without VSYNC/Freesync/Gsync? (Bonus question as well)

kofman13

I have a 75hz free sync monitor and play mostly apex legends with an Nvidia GTX 1070 strix. 8GB I have been playing with free sync turned on in my monitor,  G sync ON in Nvidia control panel (since recently Nvidia drivers let you have G sync with free sync monitor), V sync turned on for Apex Legends in NVCP, and v sync off in game. It’s been smooth sailing.

I have been researching whether I want to upgrade to 144hz or 240hz so I was testing uncapped FPS with lower settings to see how I high I could go , specifically WITHOUT v sync to see the real FPS. Im hovering around 160-190 so ill probably get a 240 hz for the future But it is a bit choppier graphics wise than with 75fps g sync. But the main thing that stood out that my mouse aim in the firing range felt much snappier and faster, almost as if my sensitivity went up? ( but it didn’t in settings) and I could control recoil much better. Is this normal? Why does it feel faster and snappier? 

BONUS SIDE QUESTION… Then I remembered when researching which monitor to get I saw that the Zowie e sports monitors don’t have any G sync or Free Sync, why is that? And then reviews said that serious e sports FPS players Never use G sync and Free sync anyway. But personally when I have any kind of frame sync turned off, its definitely choppier and more stutter than with G sync turned ON. Do pro players just get used to the choppiness? Or is it just less noticeable at 144/240fps?

CPU: Intel 5820K OC 4GHZ | RAM: 16GB Corsair | GPU: ASUS STRIX 1070 8GB OC | Samsung EVO 980 500GB

This leads to the reason why many gamers leave Vsync off is because rather than having the frames scheduled to match the display the GPU just renders as fast as it can without any regard for the display which means that when the data is always from the latest available frame even if that frame completed when the display is only halfway done with drawing the frame, now the trade off is this leads to unpleasant screen tears, but at the same time those screen tares give you data that you would not have otherwise had, and that gives you a better chance of being able to track that motion.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

5 minutes ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

This leads to the reason why many gamers leave Vsync off is because rather than having the frames scheduled to match the display the GPU just renders as fast as it can without any regard for the display which means that when the data is always from the latest available frame even if that frame completed when the display is only halfway done with drawing the frame, now the trade off is this leads to unpleasant screen tears, but at the same time those screen tares give you data that you would not have otherwise had, and that gives you a better chance of being able to track that motion.

so should i play without G sync? but just cap frames manually to 75? since i have 75hz monitor

CPU: Intel 5820K OC 4GHZ | RAM: 16GB Corsair | GPU: ASUS STRIX 1070 8GB OC | Samsung EVO 980 500GB

45 minutes ago, kofman13 said:

so should i play without G sync? but just cap frames manually to 75? since i have 75hz monitor

Some gamers prefer that way, although if you use a frame cap it will nullify the whole purpose of turning off VSync, in the end though the only real solution to the answer is to get a higher refresh rate monitor, otherwise I personally make the most of it by turning of all  performance limiters and letting my GPU go ham.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

I play competitively on a 60hz panel and let the frames go as far as possible - in reality (for me) the screen tearing is minimal at best and my reaction time is a lot smoother (my feel)

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case